Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strictly 'race row'

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Oh here we go with the 'can o' worms' opener - so is Paki a rascist term? if so is Brit? or Scot?

Yes 'Paki' is racist - it originated from a shortening of Pakistani but it is the way that the term has been used by society makes it derogatory. Much the same as the term '******' came from a description of somebody from the 'niger' - They are racist terms - end of.

Pedant alert:

"****** originated as a variant of the Spanish and Portuguese noun negro (black) derived from the Latin adjective niger (black)"

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
This has been done to death on here but basically yes it is racist because it is used in a derogatory way, usually to people who are not even Pakistani anyway. The meaning of any word or symbol can vary immensely depending on context, a swastika is the best example of this.

I'm not sure if that is a comphrehensive answer though. A scottish friend of mine hates being called a Jock - though people call him one in good spirit he views it as a rascist term. So the person calling the name is not being rascist/derogatory intentionally - but are they being rascist?

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Ok so if it's the word "paki" that is offensive would it be any different if he had said "you look like a pakistani" i.e someone from pakistan, is that derogatory and racist or just an observation?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I thought it would very quickly descend into the debate on whether the word is offensive or not.

Of course it is,

1) It's used as a term of abuse, irrespective of the fact it's an abbreviation.

2) It's a blanket abusive term for anyone from that part of the world.

I'm not sure if that is a comphrehensive answer though. A scottish friend of mine hates being called a Jock - though people call him one in good spirit he views it as a rascist term. So the person calling the name is not being rascist/derogatory intentionally - but are they being rascist?

I know what you mean. I would say that if a term is racial and it causes offence then it is racist, so yes they are being racist even if used in friendly banter.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Ok so if it's the word "paki" that is offensive would it be any different if he had said "you look like a pakistani" i.e someone from pakistan, is that derogatory and racist or just an observation?

He would not have made a racist comment but then he would be using a racial stereotype. Not as offensive but still wrong.

By the way I am not Mr PC - I believe the comment is racist and the BBC should show consistency.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I thought it would very quickly descend into the debate on whether the word is offensive or not.

Of course it is,

1) It's used as a term of abuse, irrespective of the fact it's an abbreviation.

2) It's a blanket abusive term for anyone from that part of the world.

so you are saying that the word in itself is not rascist (how can a word, in itself, be rascist?) but that the intent behind it is rascist. If so then what about my question regarding my mate who hates being referred to as a jock?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes 'Paki' is racist - it originated from a shortening of Pakistani but it is the way that the term has been used by society makes it derogatory. Much the same as the term '******' came from a description of somebody from the 'niger' - They are racist terms - end of.

Oh how you must be the world's leading authority on racism, at least that is how your comment comes across.

Was Prince Harry being derogatory when he referred to his 'lil Paki friend'?

I think not.

When I mean to insult someone I try to offend them.

If I called someone 'ginga' and that person is very touchy about their hair colour, should I be sacked for that?

When, at work, I call someone a useless git, when they are, should I be reprimanded for it?

All ism's and ist's are subject to the interpretation of the person on the receiving end. Perhaps we should all learn to live and let live a little more. And to those complaining about something that they have not heard first hand......get a f*****g life!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
so you are saying that the word in itself is not rascist (how can a word, in itself, be rascist?) but that the intent behind it is rascist. If so then what about my question regarding my mate who hates being referred to as a jock?

If he was my friend and didn't like it, I simply wouldn't use it.

Certain terms aren't as culturally loaded as others, you need to take into account the historical context.

In recent years the term in question is strongly associated with racial abuse.

It's as simple as that.

The other old chesnut is the debate about the word that has been "reclaimed" by the black community (whatever than means)

Well I always remember the wise words from friend from Ghana, when I asked him about it.

He said whatever race you are, or whatever context, the usage of the word to refer to a black person is at best "foolish".

I'm happy with that.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You Limeys-you're all so uptight these days.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
If he was my friend and didn't like it, I simply wouldn't use it.

Certain terms aren't as culturally loaded as others, you need to take into account the historical context.

In recent years the term in question is strongly associated with racial abuse.

It's as simple as that.

The other old chesnut is the debate about the word that has been "reclaimed" by the black community (whatever than means)

Well I always remember the wise words from friend from Ghana, when I asked him about it.

He said whatever race you are, or whatever context, the usage of the word to refer to a black person is at best "foolish".

I'm happy with that.

To your first point - i don't.

To the rest - makes sense:thumbsup:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good point. Although I must admit now with the whole 'is it derogatory?' debate that I've reached a point where I neither know nor care.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Personally, I would think/hope that anything that involves racial abuse should be looked at in a harsher light.
Why? because its a subject you personally feel strongly about , it should be dealt with more severely ? I can remember around the same time a s the ron atkinson/desailly row, billy connolly made a very public joke in very bad taste about ken bigley who was decapitated in iraq, yet hes back on TV and ron atkinson is still persona non grata, i know that i think connolly's comments were equally worthy of banishment from tv, sadly the tv establishment dont agree.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Why? because its a subject you personally feel strongly about , it should be dealt with more severely ? I can remember around the same time a s the ron atkinson/desailly row, billy connolly made a very public joke in very bad taste about ken bigley who was decapitated in iraq, yet hes back on TV and ron atkinson is still persona non grata, i know that i think connolly's comments were equally worthy of banishment from tv, sadly the tv establishment dont agree.

but that is only because you have a problem with the Scottish too.....

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The fact that the very grand sounding "Anton Du Beke" is really "Tony Beeke" tells you he is an up himself prick so, whilst this seems like a storm in a teacup, he should do the decent thing and f*** off forever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yawn yawn yawn. You do wonder how dull some people's jobs/lives are that they spend all day on here debating the same things over and over and over again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here