Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strictly 'race row'

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Now, I agree that if somebody has said something offensive they should be punished.

However, having looked into this, I have discovered that the comments were not broadcast. Yet the BBC has received 281 complaints regarding this issue. Before the issue was plastered over the papers they had received only 63 complaints, meaning that other news sources are possibly to blame for whipping up so much anger. This remids me of Brand/Ross-gate, where the overwhelming majority of complaints were not from Radio 2 listeners, but by people that had subsequently seen the story in the press.

Whilst I think that the comments were unjustified, does anyone else think that there seems to be a current fashion for complaining to the Beeb?

What are your thoughts on the issue?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Lots of people on here dismissed the complaints of those who hadnt heard the original brand/ross broadcast, surely they should do the same here?

While there is a chance to show off your right on credentials on one fashionable subject, rather than holding any sort of across-the-board moral standards? Not a chance.

I don't know the details here, but surely if they were talking in private it can't cause anyone any offence?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Now, I agree that if somebody has said something offensive they should be punished.

However, having looked into this, I have discovered that the comments were not broadcast. Yet the BBC has received 281 complaints regarding this issue. Before the issue was plastered over the papers they had received only 63 complaints, meaning that other news sources are possibly to blame for whipping up so much anger. This remids me of Brand/Ross-gate, where the overwhelming majority of complaints were not from Radio 2 listeners, but by people that had subsequently seen the story in the press.

Whilst I think that the comments were unjustified, does anyone else think that there seems to be a current fashion for complaining to the Beeb?

What are your thoughts on the issue?

What is the background?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not being a fan I don't know what was said, but didn't Carol Thatcher get sacked from a BBC programme for making an off-air racial 'observation'?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Lots of people on here dismissed the complaints of those who hadnt heard the original brand/ross broadcast, surely they should do the same here?

Personally, I would think/hope that anything that involves racial abuse should be looked at in a harsher light.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not being a fan I don't know what was said, but didn't Carol Thatcher get sacked from a BBC programme for making an off-air racial 'observation'?

There's a slight difference. She descibed someone behind their back as a golliwog frog, repeatedly and pissed off the people around her, and refused to apologise till it was too late. He said it once, to the person and apologised and the person who it was directed to accepted the apology.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Antoine Du Beke saw his half-Indian, half-Moroccan dance partner emerge from a fake tanning session a dark orangey-brown colour and made the throw-away comment "You look like a Paki!"

He'll do we'll to survive this, and it will be interesting to see what the Beeb do. He's extremely popular and would be the logical choice to take over from Bruce Forsyth in the future. However, NOTW say there were 15 or so witnesses.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I do not think that he apologised has any relevance. At first he denied using a racist comment, then backtracked and issued an apology. Whether on air or of air - the comment was directly to his dance partener who he had already made a flippant comment about her being a terrorist. I do not agree with the mass overreaction that is fuelled by the media, however this man has made racist comments on 2 occassions to a colleague. I would be sacked for this as would most people. His comments are as bad as Ron Atkinsons and probably worse than the Brand/Ross rubbish.

The case it most closely resembles is the Carole Thatcher incident - she was sacked - so should Du Beke. Consistency and standards.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Antoine Du Beke saw his half-Indian, half-Moroccan dance partner emerge from a fake tanning session a dark orangey-brown colour and made the throw-away comment "You look like a Paki!"

He'll do we'll to survive this, and it will be interesting to see what the Beeb do. He's extremely popular and would be the logical choice to take over from Bruce Forsyth in the future. However, NOTW say there were 15 or so witnesses.

I think the grooming of the 'next Brucie' may be influencing the BBC's reaction - they have said that they will not take action. This is wrong.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I do not think that he apologised has any relevance. At first he denied using a racist comment, then backtracked and issued an apology. Whether on air or of air - the comment was directly to his dance partener who he had already made a flippant comment about her being a terrorist. I do not agree with the mass overreaction that is fuelled by the media, however this man has made racist comments on 2 occassions to a colleague. I would be sacked for this as would most people. His comments are as bad as Ron Atkinsons and probably worse than the Brand/Ross rubbish.

The case it most closely resembles is the Carole Thatcher incident - she was sacked - so should Du Beke. Consistency and standards.

Oh here we go with the 'can o' worms' opener - so is Paki a rascist term? if so is Brit? or Scot?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
All publicity is good publicity people, wise up.

Oh here we go with the 'can o' worms' opener - so is Paki a rascist term? if so is Brit? or Scot?

This has been done to death on here but basically yes it is racist because it is used in a derogatory way, usually to people who are not even Pakistani anyway. The meaning of any word or symbol can vary immensely depending on context, a swastika is the best example of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here