Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strauss gone

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Unlike Trott, Strauss hasn't played for South Africa, and didn't just come to England for the first time as an adult mercenary.

In fairness to Krakatoa, Trott did play for SA up to u19 level. He certainly didn't play for the full SA team though, as JB seems to be pointing out. The issue of 'mercenaries' playing for England is another (big) debate entirely - if they're in, they should be able to captain the side too.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
FWIW and in perspective, Strauss has been fortunate to have captained arguably the strongest ever England squads under his leadership. He has galvanised a team of individuals to play as a unit and for each other, however tactically I always found him to be conservative, and reactive rather than proactive. Perhaps I personally was too much in awe of Vaughan whose innovative field settings, bowling changes and overall tactics arguably made him a much better captain of England

Good post. People are blinded by Strauss' record and the fact that he is a very good ambassedor for english cricket. As a captain I have watched from the stands on many occasions when we are all over a team and should be going for the jugular, Strauss will set a defensive field and give up easy singles. I seen Jimmy Anderson get the right hump with him for his field settings. We've drawn games we should've won and had he been a more attacking captain he would've had an even better record.

He has been an ok captain, but it's nowhere near as big a loss as when Vaughan left. Having seen Cook in the one dayers I think he'll do as good a job with this group of players at his disposal

Trott player for SA as a schoolboy up to u19 level

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great player, great captain, great bloke.

He's 35, we're near the end of the domestic season. I think this is a logical juncture to retire. His form has been patchy for some time now, and that seems to be the driver here. Would he have stayed without the Pietersen issue? Probably not.

The fact remains that we are light on batting talent, and to lose both Strauss and Pietersen is massive. I don't see any decent opener ready to step into the breach, and given Cook is the new captain that will mean huge pressure if we're 10-1 every innings.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
crodonilson Bopara should be dropped for england cause his form is shocking

I think you have much to learn about cricket, namely that form is temporary and class is permanent. Bopara Is an absolute class act.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think you have much to learn about cricket, namely that form is temporary and class is permanent. Bopara Is an absolute class act.

I wouldn't be telling others to learn about cricket if you really think that!

He's an ok limited overs player and nothing more, he will never ever be a test cricketer because he hasn't got it upstairs.

He shouldn't be anywhere near this england team at the moment, Bairstow, Taylor and Prior just as a batsman should be miles ahead of him for a middle order spot.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Captain Cook hasn't got the charisma to carry off the big job, plus after losing his first 4 tests the pressure will already be on him. He'll quit or be sacked after the Aussies have trounced us home and away.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Great player, great captain, great bloke.

He's 35, we're near the end of the domestic season. I think this is a logical juncture to retire. His form has been patchy for some time now, and that seems to be the driver here. Would he have stayed without the Pietersen issue? Probably not.

The fact remains that we are light on batting talent, and to lose both Strauss and Pietersen is massive. I don't see any decent opener ready to step into the breach, and given Cook is the new captain that will mean huge pressure if we're 10-1 every innings.

Given Strauss has generally been out for low scores for most of a year if not more, you could argue Trott has been opening quite a bit anyway! He is the perfect candidate for opening with Cook, with Bell needing to step up to take the no.3 birth, it's the middle order I'm worried about, likely to be 3 very inexperienced young cricketers in Bairstow, Taylor then you have Morgan, Bopara who haven't really grabbed a test place with both hands. Put it this way, we could be 100-1 and still in a lot of trouble!!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

At international level Bopara is far from a class act (or are you fishing here?)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
At international level Bopara is far from a class act (or are you fishing here?)

Never been given the chance to shine, a series here, a test there. Tell him how good he is and build the middle order around him and tell him his position is secure for the next 3 years. We need stability and consistency of selecting our best players.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

apart frm when he puts on an England shirt, at which time he looks like an a distinctly average sunday medium paced trundley who should go for about 8 an over, and at No.6 his batting can be more miss than hit.

He's had chances to impress and not really taken best advatage of them

Since Paul Collingwood retired after the 2010-11 Ashes, six England batsmen have batted at number six in the Test side:

•Ravi Bopara averages 17.62 in eight innings at number six (2007-12), but 31.94 overall
•Eoin Morgan averages 24.22 in 18 innings at six (2010-12), but 30.43 overall
•Ian Bell averages 60.62 at six in 32 innings (2006-12), often batting at six if England use a night-watchman
•Jonny Bairstow batted in three innings at number six earlier this year, averaging 12.66
•Keeper Matt Prior normally bats at seven but averages 45.66 in 17 innings at six (2009-12), higher than his overall Test average (42.54)
•Regular night-watchman James Anderson averages 11.33 in three innings at six

Last edited:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
The best Captain we've ever had. Such a shame he has decided to Retire, but it had to come to an end sooner or later. The Ashes win down under, will stay with me for the rest of my life. The greatest moment I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think its easy to take a good captain for granted, but look how things went tits up after Vaughan with Pietersen. This time around Andy Flower has had the foresight to groom Cook for this role, so I think he'll be ready for it.

I hope that Pietersen is man enough to admit he's been wrong, eat some humble pie and then come back into the fold. I hope he does this sooner rather than later, so as not to give Cook this 'hot potato' for his first day in the job. Right now England do need Pietersen, although it would be wrong to select him without the necessary contrition on his part because he owes his teammates that if nothing else.

I agree that Trott might need to move up the order and open. Cook is popular with the side and should be able to get it focused for India. It would be nice to see either Taylor or Morgan to step forward and grab a middle order spot with both hands.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The best Captain we've ever had. Such a shame he has decided to Retire, but it had to come to an end sooner or later. The Ashes win down under, will stay with me for the rest of my life. The greatest moment I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

The Aussies were a shambles though, the 2005 win was a far bigger achievement.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
England spinner Graeme Swann has been rested for the last three matches of the NatWest one-day international series against South Africa, with James Tredwell called up as cover.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Never been given the chance to shine, a series here, a test there. Tell him how good he is and build the middle order around him and tell him his position is secure for the next 3 years. We need stability and consistency of selecting our best players.

You really do talk some drivel.

Bopara got 3 centuries against a terrible West Indies side, so gets the number 3 berth against the Aussies in 2009 and in the 4 tests he plays is sorted out every time. So is dropped and Trott takes his chance.

Bopara was correctly picked for this years South Africa series, but due to personal reasons asks to be left out after the first test and whether he gets back in is now down to his own form.

The reality is Trott is a better player than him, so has held the number 3 position since 2009 and other players have taken their chance. Taylor looks technically better than Bopara (who often looks like a walking wicket).

So back to you fishing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Mike Brearley fans might give you an argument there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here