Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strauss gone

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
England Test captain Andrew Strauss has retired from professional cricket with immediate effect, the ECB have announced.

Wasn't expecting that!

We have a very limited time in which to speculate as to why, before it is revealed.

I think he is going into Politics and will aim to be the next Conservative Leader :lolol:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Sad day for English cricket, Strauss has been a fantastic leader of English cricket and taken them to the top.

If it is all down to KP I think it is very childish, sit down and get it sorted, England need both players in the side / squad, come on the ECB no player is bigger than the game.

With reference to KP I really can't see any county side being able to pay his salary, Surrey have only taken him because he is still on a central contract. In which case if the situtation is not resolved KP will be left just to play IPL and The Big Bash.

With reference to Prior as captain please don't put too much pressure on him, Alec Stewart's form dipped when he was wicket keeper, batsman andskipper. Cook is the natural choice with Broad as his vice.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Hardly surprising. Forms been poor - only a matter of time before questions started beinga asked about his place in the side. if he's not /can't play international cricket, then no county, least of all Middlesex, would be able to take that contract over from the ECB.

and few england captains stay in the game for long after reliquishing the job

D

Deleted member 18477

f***! Feel like crying! Strauss has been my favourite England captain for some time! A true professional!

Surely it's not a case of... Well if you want KP back in the side I'm gunna f*** off instead!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
He must have been very disillusioned. All the best to him. He rescued England with flower after the whitewash in Australia. Sad to see it end like this.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
I don't think he should be captain , I just think he's very safe in the team.
I'd be tempted to give it to Trott just because he seems the best at dealing with pressure and most mentally strong

I'd rather have an Englishman captaining the England team.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Bopara for next captain.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Strauss says was going to make this decision before KP situation arose.
Retiring because of form which he did not think would improve.
Wants to leave now on own terms.
Says he does not know how KP thing will end - nothing has changed since end of Lord's test - Cook will get involved now behind the scenes.

Strauss is a good man and an excellent captain. England may miss him for a while.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Graeme Smoth has seen off yet another England captain, astonishing. Bopara for vice captain.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
FWIW and in perspective, Strauss has been fortunate to have captained arguably the strongest ever England squads under his leadership. He has galvanised a team of individuals to play as a unit and for each other, however tactically I always found him to be conservative, and reactive rather than proactive. Perhaps I personally was too much in awe of Vaughan whose innovative field settings, bowling changes and overall tactics arguably made him a much better captain of England.

Strauss has always suffered with a slightly suspect technique that has meant over the years sudden drops in form, which to be fair to him he's always bounced back from. However as England Captain and opener, he is the one the opposition look at regardless of whether he's on 20, 30 or whatever and know he's a wicket they can get. That is a real weakness in the side at the moment.

It's perhaps an ideal time to go. The team have just lost their no.1 status, we've had the KP saga, and we're bedding in some new young players. Cook is undoubtedly ready for the captaincy and already I've been impressed with how he's handled the one day side.

Onwards and upwards I say. Thank you Strauss for all you've done and captaining England through it's most successful dominant period ever, but it probably is not a bad time to hand over the baton.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Saw all the England players after the game when they just got the news and all of them looked quite upset

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here