Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strauss gone

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Strauss would not have resigned if it wasn't for the KP issue. Losing to SA is no blemish on anyone's record and he is probably still in the top 2 opening batsmen in the country.

We'll find out at midday hopefully, but what I don't get is why Strauss would go AFTER Pietersen has left the England set-up.

Unless, and I'm wildly speculating here, Strauss has lost the dressing room because the other players supported the latter.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I won't argue. But the trouble with picking a keeper as captain is that you can only have one wicket keeper in the side, meaning that if a better player comes along capable of playing wicket keeper, then either you ignore that player or you have to change the captain to accommodate the new man.

On the other hand if the captain is a top batsman or bowler, it is easier to accommodate the captain when new blood arrives because there is room for 4 or 5 bowlers/batsmen.

I don't think he should be captain , I just think he's very safe in the team.
I'd be tempted to give it to Trott just because he seems the best at dealing with pressure and most mentally strong

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
We'll find out at midday hopefully, but what I don't get is why Strauss would go AFTER Pietersen has left the England set-up.

Unless, and I'm wildly speculating here, Strauss has lost the dressing room because the other players supported the latter.

More likely because his approach and style are now being questioned in the light of pietersen and his perceptions of mistreatment. People will ask did Strauss turn a blind eye to others behaviour towards KP?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I heard Darren Gough last night saying overlook KP's personality just get him back in the team. You won't chnage him just let him play. I guess its looks so simple from the beyond the boundary rope but if you are in the England team and have to put up with KP's crap influence (we probably don't know the half of it). Given the statements about needing mutual trust and his record of toy throwing in the media a recall for KP would just be another car crash in waiting. Should they put up with that?

Wouldn't put him within 100 miles of another England dressing room. nasty piece of work IMHO. Exceedinly disruptive. Done this sort of thing before as well.

KP clearly wants to do things on HIS terms and HIS terms alone. Hence the self imposed 1 day retirement, the call to only play Tests and 2020 so he could find the time to make a lot of money in the IPL. When he had his bluff called by Flower, out went the toys before an embrarressing volte face when he, or his advisors, realised he was just closing the exit door behind him and walking into the wilderness.

Last edited:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
More likely because his approach and style are now being questioned in the light of pietersen and his perceptions of mistreatment. People will ask did Strauss turn a blind eye to others behaviour towards KP?

I'd say that he is mortified that the team spirit he created had been demolished by someone he trusted.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

I think Strauss has just had enough. Doesn't need the hassle anymore. Affecting his game (this season averaging around 17) so place in the side could be in jeopardy. Most successful England captaomn - most wins, won the Ashes TWICE. Been captain longer than most England captains. and from what I've seen Strauss hasn't lost the dressing room. They all seem quite happy amongst themselves. None of the obvious tell tale signs of players forming little groups amongst themselves to seeth in discontent.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I think Strauss has just had enough. Doesn't need the hassle anymore. Affecting his game (this season averaging around 17) so place in the side could be in jeopardy. Most successful England captaomn - most wins, won the Ashes TWICE. Been captain longer than most England captains. and from what I've seen Strauss hasn't lost the dressing room. They all seem quite happy amongst themselves. None of the obvious tell tale signs of players forming little groups amongst themselves to seeth in discontent.

I agree with this. Strauss seems quite a thoughtful chap, so I'd imagine he is just plain tired of it all & needs to concentrate on his form rather than the media circus. I really hope he remains part of the team & regains his form.

As for next captain, that's a toughie! It definitely needs to be someone whose place in the team is assured for the sake of continuity, though given that the captaincy almost always seems to adversely effect form, do you really want to nobble your best player?

Considering the options avalable, I'd go along with keaton:

I'd be tempted to give it to Trott just because he seems the best at dealing with pressure and most mentally strong

He always seems pretty unflappable...

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
I won't argue. But the trouble with picking a keeper as captain is that you can only have one wicket keeper in the side, meaning that if a better player comes along capable of playing wicket keeper, then either you ignore that player or you have to change the captain to accommodate the new man.

On the other hand if the captain is a top batsman or bowler, it is easier to accommodate the captain when new blood arrives because there is room for 4 or 5 bowlers/batsmen.

If a better WK came along, I still think Prior could get in the side as a batsman. (now waiting to be shot down in flames!)
For me, he would be the next captain.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Cook is the next in line. the one day job was to give him a taste and see how he managed with it. that all seems to have gone well and no one has questionned the decision . he has the respect of the payers, he is worth his place in the side as a player, and his form doesn't appear to have suffered drastically since being given the extra responsibility.

Oh, and he went to a public school, so obviously a sound chap and one of us!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't think we should be dragging KP in to this.

If Strauss is going it's because he has chosen to go of his own accord before the rumble of drums starts. I think he thinks he has taken the captaincy as far as he can and I'd like to think he would like to stay on and concentrate on regaining his batting form for the tour of India.

However, he may feel it best to make it a clean break for the sake of the next captain.

Either way, a man who led with dignity and honor through some difficult times. he may not have been ruthless tactically but he engendered a great team ethos and I'd like to think that a lot of the fans and most of the players, apart from one, will be sorry to see him go.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
If a better WK came along, I still think Prior could get in the side as a batsman. (now waiting to be shot down in flames!)
For me, he would be the next captain.

Nonsense. Prior is in the side because he is best batsman-wicket keeper we have. Don't think he would be as good for the side if he was just a batsman pure and simple. If we were picking the best keeper and not taking the batting into consideration, then James Foster of Essex would have played lots more Tests than he has. Prior has kept the job because he has come up with runs when needed batting low down the order, unlike, for instance, Chris Read who is as good a keeper, as good a batsmen and has captained notts to the county championship - so is well experienced as a captain. But Read didn;t come up with the runs when he needed to for England unlike Prior. Keeping wise they are pretty much of a muchness. and with england's preference for 4 quick bowlers and 1 spinner, keeping ability is not the highest criteria for the post at the moment.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One thing no-one has mentioned regarding the possible return of FIGJAM is that it would involve two resignations, as Flowers place would surely be untenable as well?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
England Test captain Andrew Strauss has retired from professional cricket with immediate effect, the ECB have announced.

Wasn't expecting that!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
BBC:

England captain Andrew Strauss has retired from all forms of cricket.
Batsman Strauss played 100 Tests and skippered his country in 50 of them.
During his time in charge, England were ranked the world's best Test team for the first time.
One-day captain Alastair Cook is taking over from Strauss and will lead his country in the four-Test series against India in November.

Shame to go out like that. I wish him well it whatever he does next

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
England Test captain Andrew Strauss has retired from professional cricket with immediate effect, the ECB have announced.

Wasn't expecting that!

Blimey! Genuine shock

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So that's the end of Cook's form then!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wow ! Maybe he just wants to go out at the top. Pity, Many thanks for all those points you got me in Fantasy Cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here