Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop blaming El-Abd

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I didnt see or hear any abuse or boo-ing of AeA during the game. There were a few howls of anguish of the \"arrgh NO !\" variety for each of his cock-ups, but as far as it developing into outright abuse of him, well, I must have missed it.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I didnt see or hear any abuse or boo-ing of AeA during the game. There were a few howls of anguish of the \"arrgh NO !\" variety for each of his cock-ups, but as far as it developing into outright abuse of him, well, I must have missed it.

Pretty much the same from F Block.

The only abuse at the end seemed to aimed at the ref and the Leeds huddle.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
By and large the crowd were excellent on Saturday. Every time the players came over for water during a break in play they got a rousing reception, and there was plenty of support and encouragement during the game. As far as I can see, the El-Abd witch hunt is pretty much confined to these pages.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

None from around me in G Block. The slagging off has come on here when we have been discussing the game and player's ratings. He did make three mistakes and one cost us a draw. In recent games he has made poor back passes. It may well be that he is not playing in his correct position and he seems to be mortified at his mistake on Saturday, according to the press. So , we should give the lad some slack and see if he and the Manager learn from the mistakes. No need to crucify either of them.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Forgive the pun, but that is the point I'm trying to make (although I'm not someone who blames one incident in a game that last 90 minutes).

I think most people would feel the same (inc me) if he wasn't making mistakes that could cost us goals in other games this season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Firstly, it (the slice that cost us a point) was one of 2 enormous mistakes; the other being a stupidly underhit backpass... he has done the latter so many times I have lost count; he is a liability, and even worse (although lesss dangerous) in midfield... his inability to pass makes him a joke in that position...

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I am in Beijing at the moment so missed much of this while sleeping. Now at work so I will reply. It is actually quite good to see so many actually agreeing with me to some degree. I agree that everybody has the right to an opinion, otherwise it will be a bit like over here, but I draw the line at singling out ALBION players for abuse at the match and then slagging them off rather than watching the game. I have been hacked off with players during the match and after it (after watching Ashley Neal and Mark Farrington it is unsurprising), but as a number of posters have said, it was only a couple of years ago he was being touted as the next big thing. It would be really interesting to see next home game, what the effect of a really load show of appreciation before kick-off would do for his game. Lets face it, anybody would be nervous if they knew they could play well for 89 mins, and then make one mistake and are treated like Osama Bin Laden knocking on the door of the White House.

I don't think abuse like this does much good to anyone. Fans get frustrated, players get nervous and angry, the club get defensive, the atmosphere drops and we usually end up going on a poor run. When the crowd get behind the team regularly (away support has always done this well, which I think has always help our away results) we seem to go on good runs.

How about a player mistake amnesty. Forget everything that has gone before and wipe the slate clean. Then see if you are quite as critical or hacked off next game.

Great post :thumbsup:

And El Abd's mistake was costly but he won't be cured of that mistake by anyone subsequenty gettin' on his back.

I agree that in essence he's a utility player who's better in a defensive midfield role (keeping his passing simple) and is a useful squad member, albeit probably not a first choice.

We should certainly go easy on him if he's made mistakes when playing out of position as on Saturday, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here