Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop blaming El-Abd

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I just think the people who actually put money into the club are pretty much entitled to their opinion whatever it may be.

I cant argue with that but maybe some times people would be better off keeping they're opinions to themselves rather than shouting them out for everybody else to hear and spoiling the atmosphere for those who just want to enjoy watching a football match? Looking back at that El Abd incident last season I think it was fully justified the way he reacted.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I cant argue with that but maybe some times people would be better off keeping they're opinions to themselves rather than shouting them out for everybody else to hear and spoiling the atmosphere for those who just want to enjoy watching a football match?

I agree and it's one of the reasons I enjoy being in H block. I have sat elsewhere a couple of times but the moaners got me down and I think I would stay away if I had to listen to that all the time.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I am in Beijing at the moment so missed much of this while sleeping. Now at work so I will reply. It is actually quite good to see so many actually agreeing with me to some degree. I agree that everybody has the right to an opinion, otherwise it will be a bit like over here, but I draw the line at singling out ALBION players for abuse at the match and then slagging them off rather than watching the game. I have been hacked off with players during the match and after it (after watching Ashley Neal and Mark Farrington it is unsurprising), but as a number of posters have said, it was only a couple of years ago he was being touted as the next big thing. It would be really interesting to see next home game, what the effect of a really load show of appreciation before kick-off would do for his game. Lets face it, anybody would be nervous if they knew they could play well for 89 mins, and then make one mistake and are treated like Osama Bin Laden knocking on the door of the White House.

I don't think abuse like this does much good to anyone. Fans get frustrated, players get nervous and angry, the club get defensive, the atmosphere drops and we usually end up going on a poor run. When the crowd get behind the team regularly (away support has always done this well, which I think has always help our away results) we seem to go on good runs.

How about a player mistake amnesty. Forget everything that has gone before and wipe the slate clean. Then see if you are quite as critical or hacked off next game.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
That would be ideal Ex Staffs gull but there are people who are glad that Henderson is currently injured and still haven't forgiven him for last New Years day, so unfortunately El Abd will suffer for weeks yet.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I can only remember a few players getting as much stick as Adam appears to be getting at the moment, one of them was Kevin Bremmner who answered his detractors with a hat-trick. All things should be taken in perspective, Bremmner played in a team that went on to win promotion and in the early part of that season had been matching Garry Nelson in the scoring stakes, he just hit a rough patch.

The comment about things being worse since the internet arrived is a fair point, someone prints their opinion on here, hundreds read it and some will be swayed in what they think. I watch Adam play and see someone who is totally committed to the team, never gives less than 100% but does make the occasional error. Reality check folks, we are a club short on money that finds itself playing on the third tier of English football, we don't have the funds to bring in Championship type players on a regular basis and certainly not in the quantity that could radically transform our team. We have a squad made up of journeymen, makeweights and home grown talent...I can't see this changing in the imminent future, try to enjoy what we have already, things will not improve if another player has his confidence totally shattered or decides to leave the club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst I agree with Gully's sentiment, above, that the barracking is unhelpful, to say eveyone makes 'occassional mistakes' is stretching the point re. El Abd. He makes critical errors almost every game. We would have lost to Bristol R but for the ineptitude of their forward after el abd gifted a chance with his first touch. On Saturday, the actual goal was unlucky and is more forgiveable than the two shocking back passes which should have both led to goals.

El-Abd always put effort into his game, but effort alone is not enough. Including the goal he made at least 3 bad mistakes yesterday. He is just not up the level we are playing at. I don't have anything against the lad personally I just don't think he is good enough.

That sums the situation up very well and as somebody said-if we were picked to play for the Albion we would all give 100% effort but effort is simply not enough. If it was, Gary Hart would be playing every game.

I think most people have put the incident last season behind them but then he did what he did on Saturday and that reminded people that he sometimes shows a lack of respect for the fans.

For my six penny worth, bottom line is that he is too much of a liability in the back 4.

I have always appreciated his attitude and commitment and believe his 'best' position is as an aggresive midfielder breaking up play. I think there has been a lack of appreciation by many on here as to the qualities he does possess in that role. However when it comes to playing anywhere in the back 4, sadly Adam is too unreliable.

There have been several occasions this season when he has made blunders which fortunately for us, the oppo have not taken advantage of. It wa inevitable that at some stage someone would say 'thank you very much' and that is exactly what happened. As others have pointed out he made more than one serious error on Saturday and sadly for the team we got punished and I suspect would do so again in the future.

Of course everyone makes mistakes but I believe the problem with Adam is that he makes more than his fair share and it ok's for the manager to say he hasn't let anyone down but he has. Other players who have made 'mistakes' can't even get in the squad so for Adam to stay for the time being would be somewhat a case of double standards.

I sincerely hope that after a period of time in the reserves he can come back with the necessary confidence and consistancy to make an impant for the first team but for the time being he needs to take a break and re focus.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
With regards to the dodgy headed back pass. There wasn't much else he could do. The balls come over his head, he's got a big striker right on him, he's got do something with the ball. He's not the tallest, he got as much contact on it as possible, got it towards Kuipers, and we got away with it. It was worrying, but we got away with it, and its not his fault he's not 6ft tall.

As for not having respect for the fans. It's simply not true.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No I wont because its his fault. But I would venture he is man enough to admit that it is his fault.

Im not going to moan moan moan but it was his error that cost us the game thats a FACT.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With regards to the dodgy headed back pass. There wasn't much else he could do. The balls come over his head, he's got a big striker right on him, he's got do something with the ball. He's not the tallest, he got as much contact on it as possible, got it towards Kuipers, and we got away with it. It was worrying, but we got away with it, and its not his fault he's not 6ft tall.

As for not having respect for the fans. It's simply not true.

A good point well put. I think that his only error, and he was directly in line with me when it happened, was that he didnt get enough on the header to reach Kuipers who was slow coming out to meet him if we are talking about the one in the 2nd half. Could it also be that he didnt want to head it too hard for fear of Kuipers not catching it.

We do not know what was going through his head.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
No I wont because its his fault. But I would venture he is man enough to admit that it is his fault.

Im not going to moan moan moan but it was his error that cost us the game thats a FACT.

Sorry, but one slight, teeny, tiny flaw in your so-called FACT. How exactly did it cost us the game? I didn't realise you get three points for a 0-0 draw these days.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Having seen the two incidents again on Virgin Media I notice they both involve Adam using his left foot. He was put in the left-centre position as a swap for Guy but I don't think he has a decent left foot. I would put this down as one of the dangers you face when you play someone out of position. I don't see how you can blame someone for trying to do something he's not used to but getting it wrong.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I am sick to death of everybody blaming El-Abd whenever we lose, he has become the easy target. Butters was lambasted when he came here for giving away penalties etc, but look at what he has achieved. It was a game over 90 minutes, we didn't score when by all accounts we should have, Leeds missed some good chances. They guy as far as I have seen sweats blood for the shirt, give 100% every game and is probably best suited to a holding role in midfield. Even under all this critisism recently, he has not thrown a hissy fit like others. Yes he got pissed off when abused from the stands, but that for me shows he cares. Give him a break and show him support, we can't afford to buy premiership midfielders, so lets make the best of the loyal ones we have. He is not un-talented, just going through an unlucky period. It did sounded like he was having a reasonable game until the virtual oggy.

Oatway, Paul Rogers, Jonny Crumplin all got the same, but turned it around.

I am sure I will get flamed, but what the hell, it's what I think.

I agree, but the boo boys need someone to abuse.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sorry, but one slight, teeny, tiny flaw in your so-called FACT. How exactly did it cost us the game? I didn't realise you get three points for a 0-0 draw these days.

In my day you get nothing when the opposition score more goals than you.

That cost us the game (NUL points) otherwise we would have at least a point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here