Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*Stockport may have points deducted THIS season*

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
out of interest, what are the rules relating to a club STARTING a new season still in administration?

is there a further points deduction?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
How the hell do the FL justify this? If I were a Southamption fan, I'd be pretty pissed of to say the least, and quite rightly I think.

As I understood it, Saints were told that if they escaped relegation, the 10 points would be deducted this season, but if they went down anyway it would be done next season, unless the 10 point deduction would have relegated them.

Following those rules, Stockports deduction should happen next season. Something smells quite rotten here.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
How the hell do the FL justify this? If I were a Southamption fan, I'd be pretty pissed of to say the least, and quite rightly I think.

As I understood it, Saints were told that if they escaped relegation, the 10 points would be deducted this season, but if they went down anyway it would be done next season, unless the 10 point deduction would have relegated them.

Following those rules, Stockports deduction should happen next season. Something smells quite rotten here.

No it doesn't. You understand wrong.

BBC SPORT | Football | League closes 10-point loophole

Marc

Jul 6, 2003

yes thats what I remembered, theres still a way to go into Admin and get away with it though:
"The club would then go down if the 10-point deduction subsequently resulted in it slipping into a relegation place."
So basically if they end up mid table 11points off relegation they will have their 10-points taken off at no cost whatsoever, IMO they should then start next season on -10....unless the Directors/Chairman/Whoever got them into the trouble left the club.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Can someone explain to me why Stockport will lose points this season yet Southampton will start on minus ten next season. PLEASE.

So basically if they end up mid table 11points off relegation they will have their 10-points taken off at no cost whatsoever, IMO they should then start next season on -10....unless the Directors/Chairman/Whoever got them into the trouble left the club.

I agree entirely with your sentiment. I feel sorry for Stockport, and it's not a reflection on them, but regulations that only punish relegation-threatened teams to the maximum effect for entering administration and not other teams seem entirely non-sensical to me. I suppose the reason that it was voted for unanimously by club chairman was that they all figured that if they went into administration they would be in Stockport's situation rather than Southampton's...

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Can someone explain to me why Stockport will lose points this season yet Southampton will start on minus ten next season. PLEASE.

from that news link above:
"If the club is relegated the points will be deducted from their tally at the start of next season. "

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley

Southampton were going to be relegated anyway, so taking 10 points off them now would not make a difference. They would still be relegated. For it to be a punishment, the points would need to be deducted next season.

Stockport are not currently in a relegation spot and it looks unlikely that they will be relegated. Losing 10 points now is the punishment they get for going into admin.

mongoose

Jul 24, 2007
fairly simple in the BBC article,

From next season any club going into administration after the fourth Thursday in March will have their 10-point deduction suspended.

If the club is relegated the points will be deducted from their tally at the start of next season.

If the club stays up the 10 points will be taken off their final total.

So therefore as southampton were relegated they come off next season. Stockports will as they are staying up be taken off their final total. if this then results in them going down that will happen, which is why if southampton had stayed up it would have applied this season and relegated them anyway

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That rule really doesn't make much sense then.
If the club goes into administration but its squad was strong enough to steer itself 10+ pts away from the drop, then unless they miss out on promotion/playoffs the deduction is completely MEANINGLESS, and no punishment at all.

On the flip side, if the club is proper f***ed on the playing side and gets relegated, then not only have they suffered dropping a division, but they also get the double-whammy of kicking off on -10 the following season.

Thats STUPID, that is.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Southampton were going to be relegated anyway, so taking 10 points off them now would not make a difference. They would still be relegated. For it to be a punishment, the points would need to be deducted next season.

Stockport are not currently in a relegation spot and it looks unlikely that they will be relegated. Losing 10 points now is the punishment they get for going into admin.

Okay thanks. So Stockport are basically not really being punished (points wise) at all.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
exactly so clubs prefer to go into Admin' towards the end of the season when they know they are safe from the drop, thats why Stockport waited a couple of weeks to make sure they would'nt go down.....cant blame them its a blatant loophole in the shite rules!

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
Okay thanks. So Stockport are basically not really being punished (points wise) at all.

You are right. But the rules were agreed by all club chairmen as I understand it.

It does seem unfair on Saints, but at least Charlton(R) won't be bottom of League 1 until four games have passed.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
regulations that only punish relegation-threatened teams.

Nope - what if you were in the play-off places and the 10 points meant you would not be? What if you wer due for auto promotion but the 10 points pulled you back into the play-offs or worse?

The rules are clear - although not perfect. It's not just those near the bottom who would be punished.

I read somewhere about the deduction being applied "where it would have the most punitive effect" - now that seems like a good rider to me.

Southampton's situation would remain the same but using the above caveat, the FL could decide to hold the Stockport punishment over until next year.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Can't Stockport still mathematically be relegated this season?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Only if there is an 18-goal swing in GD between them and Carlisle tomorrow. So mathematically its possible. But in reality, obviously not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here