Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*Stockport may have points deducted THIS season*

Nope - what if you were in the play-off places and the 10 points meant you would not be? What if you wer due for auto promotion but the 10 points pulled you back into the play-offs or worse?

The rules are clear - although not perfect. It's not just those near the bottom who would be punished.

I read somewhere about the deduction being applied "where it would have the most punitive effect" - now that seems like a good rider to me.

Southampton's situation would remain the same but using the above caveat, the FL could decide to hold the Stockport punishment over until next year.

Sorry, TRHK; what I meant was that the amended rules only punish relegation-threatened team (as preferred to the old rules which saw the points deduction imposed immeadiately in all circumstances). I agree with the idea of it being applied when the effect would be most felt, that would be ideal in my view.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
exactly so clubs prefer to go into Admin' towards the end of the season when they know they are safe from the drop, thats why Stockport waited a couple of weeks to make sure they would'nt go down.....cant blame them its a blatant loophole in the shite rules!

Although reports suggest that Stockport did not wait until they were safe and then put themselves into administration, rather that one of their creditors forced them into administration.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
exactly so clubs prefer to go into Admin' towards the end of the season when they know they are safe from the drop, thats why Stockport waited a couple of weeks to make sure they would'nt go down.....cant blame them its a blatant loophole in the shite rules!

I don't think any club 'prefers' to go into administration at any time. Forget the points deduction, going into admin is shit enough for the club.

That rule really doesn't make much sense then.
If the club goes into administration but its squad was strong enough to steer itself 10+ pts away from the drop, then unless they miss out on promotion/playoffs the deduction is completely MEANINGLESS, and no punishment at all.

On the flip side, if the club is proper f***ed on the playing side and gets relegated, then not only have they suffered dropping a division, but they also get the double-whammy of kicking off on -10 the following season.

Thats STUPID, that is.

The deduction is also meaningless if they start on -10, get to 50 points and stay up. On your second point, they only start the next season on -10 if they go into admin in the last few weeks of the season. I agree the double-whammy is silly though, and the 'exploitation' by Leeds not really that bad, they still went down.

Currently 17 of the 24 teams in L1 would suffer from a 10 point deduction, but its hard to have a one-size-fits-all solution. Personally, I'd prefer a penalty in terms of places in the league, say a 7-place penalty. At the moment, Leicester could get a 10 point deduction and still be promoted automatically.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Although reports suggest that Stockport did not wait until they were safe and then put themselves into administration, rather that one of their creditors forced them into administration.

aahh ok

I don't think any club 'prefers' to go into administration at any time. Forget the points deduction, going into admin is shit enough for the club.

Well Directors who dont give a toss wont care about the club going into Admin, means they have an escape route :nono:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Can someone explain to me why Stockport will lose points this season yet Southampton will start on minus ten next season. PLEASE.

I think you're looking at the wrong way. The normal thing would be to deduct points in the current season. They then put safeguards in place so that if a team would be relegated anyway then the points are carried over to next season so they wouldn't essentially avoid punishment

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just stumbled upon this on the BBC, nice gesture

Sale Sharks have paid cash-strapped Stockport's policing bill for this Friday's home game against Crewe.

County's financial worries meant they faced the prospect of playing the Edgeley Park game behind closed doors.

Sale chief executive James Jennings said it was only right they helped out the side they share the ground with.

"It would have been a sad day for the supporters if they had not been able to watch the final [home] game of the season," said Jennings.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There are clearly some circumstances where under the current ruling, this minus 10 points thing makes absolutely no material difference. I've got no axe to grind with Stockport, but if this is supposed to be a punishment, then the FL should ensure thats exactly how it turns out.

Firstly, forgetting points deductions, why not state up front that any club entering administration will NOT be allowed to compete in the Playoffs, and will not be allowed promotion (the next placed club would take their place).

Then if a ten point deduction ends up relegating a club this season, then thats when it is incurred, and down they go. If the club is already relegated anyway, then they start on -10 next season. If a deduction this season wouldn't relegate them, then they start next season in the same division but on -10.

The punishment has to HURT on some level. Its no use a midtable club still being midtable after this "punishment", whats the frigging point of that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm more confused than ever , I thought the FL rules on administration were tightened up to stop clubs exploiting loopholes which Leicester and Leeds escaped through.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I went to Stockport away this season and really liked Edgeley park as a ground and the fact teams like Stockport survive surronded by bigger fish. They were well supported, played good football and had a great home stand (shame about the away one).

Looking at our operating costs its shows we spent nearly £4 million on staff costs (I asume players wages). I would be interseted if their finnacial problems have been created like Luton on overspending on players without being able to balance the books.

I am amazed with our little resourses we have not had to ever consider administration since Gillingham. I hate to see the smaller clubs punished for not managing properly and lumped in with teams like Leeds and Southampton who have well overspent.

However until rules are put in place to stop rouge boards and clubs chasing success and glory, how do we punish clubs (fairly!) for bad management without destroying the club and the fanbases.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It is a punishment, they have ten less points. That's the penalty.It has to be applied equally. It would be completely unfair for team to win the title and then essentially be deducted 20-30 points just so it would make a difference.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There are clearly some circumstances where under the current ruling, this minus 10 points thing makes absolutely no material difference. I've got no axe to grind with Stockport, but if this is supposed to be a punishment, then the FL should ensure thats exactly how it turns out.

Firstly, forgetting points deductions, why not state up front that any club entering administration will NOT be allowed to compete in the Playoffs, and will not be allowed promotion (the next placed club would take their place).

Then if a ten point deduction ends up relegating a club this season, then thats when it is incurred, and down they go. If the club is already relegated anyway, then they start on -10 next season. If a deduction this season wouldn't relegate them, then they start next season in the same division but on -10.

The punishment has to HURT on some level. Its no use a midtable club still being midtable after this "punishment", whats the frigging point of that.

Dear Mr E. 10

I would like to propose you as the next Chairman of the Football League.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dear Mr E. 10

I would like to propose you as the next Chairman of the Football League.

Dear Mr Pasty.

Thank you for your kind endorsement. Unfortunately I am a serial rapist awaiting sentence, so it is therefore unlikely I would be able to fulfill my duties as Chairman of the Football League in the immediate future. I will however bear your proposal in mind if it is ever deemed safe for me to be released back into the community.

E. 10.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Oh, we may not have a keeper as the loan ran out yesterday. So 18 goals may not be beyond possibility.

Really? Do you have an idea of who will come in? I'm assuming you have reserve keepers, or a couple of youngsters?

We can you loan you Sullivan if you like :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It is a punishment, they have ten less points. That's the penalty.It has to be applied equally. It would be completely unfair for team to win the title and then essentially be deducted 20-30 points just so it would make a difference.

I totally disagree as your scenario allows for the likes of Leicester to do what they did and be in administration yet still successfully get promoted. There has to be a tangible punishment for mis-management.

I would suggest the league rules for the 10 pt deduction are spot on apart from the Stockport scenario. There is no penalty by deducting them this season other than that they finish a bit lower in the league. If the penalty makes not difference in the current season, it should be applied at the start of the next, as with Southampton. It should equally be applied to teams at the top of the table as well as those at the bottom.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
I think if you look at the Stockport statement - the directors are not putting the club into administration as they have potential buyers on the scene. A creditor is not prepared to wait for this to happen and administration is the only way to prevent the club being bankrupted and going out of business.

If they resolve the problem and are out of administrartion by the beginning of next season - no deduction will apply.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I totally disagree as your scenario allows for the likes of Leicester to do what they did and be in administration yet still successfully get promoted. There has to be a tangible punishment for mis-management.

I would suggest the league rules for the 10 pt deduction are spot on apart from the Stockport scenario. There is no penalty by deducting them this season other than that they finish a bit lower in the league. If the penalty makes not difference in the current season, it should be applied at the start of the next, as with Southampton. It should equally be applied to teams at the top of the table as well as those at the bottom.

It'll make no difference next season either if they accumulate 60 points, thus finishing safe on 50.

deduct places, not points, that will sort Leicester out. Or just automatically relegate them. Or do nothing, because what has administration got to do with footballing performance anyway. (i know i know, Leicester and Leeds took advantage of the law, not that its done them much good in the long run).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here