Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stewards please read!!!

Jan 30, 2008
I stand at games dont get me wrong, but asking the Stewards to turn a blind eye (as in this case) would just be asking for trouble IMO. Anoraks & Bobble Hats aint the problem...its the whinging morons who moan from kick off that are the problem with this clubs supporters "We're just a mini tottenham hotspur!"
who's on about asking the stewards? they would be powerless to deal with a mass stand up, end of.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
did that young lad in our end actually get temporarily taken out today?? what for? was quite funny seing all the good little colchester chavs sitting down nicely with the 4 stewards in the 2nd half

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
At the end of the day i think its all to easy to blame the stewards for basicly doing their job,as i presume they are briefed pre match as in hill street blues,i think we as fans who prefer to stand cant figure out what we are doing wrong and rightly or wrongly the chaps in orange have to enforce.

It amazes me how we still seem to be having this stand up sit down argument after all this time yet everybody seems to have taken the smoking ban in their stride which i find amazing.

Tis a funny old game

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Stewards are basically Traffic Wardens, getting shit off people every day for doing their job and doing it correctly (most of the time anyway!)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Stewards today we're bloody brilliant!! Quickly quelled any people standing up in both ends and threw out any trouble makers.

Long may stewarding like that continue. Football grounds will be a much safer place to visit once again if it does.

Are you taking the piss? Absolute wankers today and killed the atmosphere in their end.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
who's on about asking the stewards? they would be powerless to deal with a mass stand up, end of.

You can be a complete pratt sometimes.The no standing rule came in after Hillsborough,plus withers is a tempory stadium,if you hadn't noticed every stand at withdean( except the north) is constructed entily of scaffold and continualy standing and jumping around doesn't do it any good.Think of the safety implications.

Jan 30, 2008
You can be a complete pratt sometimes.The no standing rule came in after Hillsborough,plus withers is a tempory stadium,if you hadn't noticed every stand at withdean( except the north) is constructed entily of scaffold and continualy standing and jumping around doesn't do it any good.Think of the safety implications.
thats why i stopped going ???

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

Spot on, yiddo.:)

Das is spot on though, if EVERYONE stood, what would/could the stewards do?

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
For evening matches I go in the South Stand. On Saturdays I go in the Family Stand with my son. I have to tell you it's often far noisier in the Family Stand and there is no-one standing up.

I grew up standing in the North Stand at the Goldstone, but those days have gone so get used to it. There won't be standing at Falmer either. If you cannot watch a football match without standing perhaps you should watch Lewes or Eastbourne Boro.

At least the stewards were even handed today, both home and away fans were told to sit down or be removed.

For evening matches I go in the South Stand. On Saturdays I go in the Family Stand with my son. I have to tell you it's often far noisier in the Family Stand and there is no-one standing up.

I grew up standing in the North Stand at the Goldstone, but those days have gone so get used to it. There won't be standing at Falmer either. If you cannot watch a football match without standing perhaps you should watch Lewes or Eastbourne Boro.

At least the stewards were even handed today, both home and away fans were told to sit down or be removed.

From a fan's point of view, for many matches on the terraces I would like to have had the option to sit for much of the game, and stand when something special happens. The seating does effect a fans' impression of involvement in the match though.
Still, at Withdean it's the only option, and the only one available for health and safety reasons anyway.

One hopes...no, expects the team to give cause for the occasional moments/periods of excitement - then it ought to feel like we are on the same page and pursuing the same cause.
Sitting and singing is not difficult anyway, and I've been at Withdean to know that thrills and atmosphere can happen. Was the ManCity packed crowd (seated) lacking atmosphere? I didn't think so, it was a classic.

The question I have, is does the current Brighton attendance lack the heart to sing and support unless there's a full house and a Prem opposition?? Does the ref have to be crap, and give shit decisions for you to get warmed up a bit?

"oh it's terrible I can't smoke/stand/be under a roof/blah..."
I'm tired, frankly, of the blaming of everything for some people's dull spirits and lack of passion for a sport they are paying to attend.
Ffs, stop being the 'blame generation' and manage to raise a squeek in support of your team!

- and one more thing; the family stand, especially when loads of kids are there, is as the above poster says, often noisier and more interested and involved in the match, than any other part of the crowd. These kids just don't know HOW to whinge, they haven't learned how to BLAME anything and everything.

Last edited:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
If you are all standing and stomping your feet, on those "stands", I'm getting the hell off 'em. I think there may be an 'all seating' rule for a reason.

But, I do get what you are trying to achieve.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
For what it's worth - we all saw the Bradford fire, we probably all know somebody who's suffered as a result of smoking, it's a lot easier to understand the smoking ban (though, even as a non-smoker, I strongly disagree with it but that's a whole other thread) than it is being forced to sit down.

Standing does not cause problems per se - badly designed terraces with fencing, bad stewarding/policing, bad fan behaviour, yes, but they stand in their thousands at Dortmund for league games without any problems, for example.

And as for the temporary nature of the stand at Withdean? Do me a favour - if it couldn't take people standing or jumping around on it, it would never receive a safety certificate would it? And do you think that the combined effect of everybody stamping their feet on the boards while seated, something that's happened fairly frequently in the past at Withdean, is any less of a H&S issue than if it were being done by people standing up?

All most of us who prefer to stand want is a section designated for safe standing in the stadia. Is that so much to ask? Everybody else who's got used to/always preferred to sit down could still do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here