Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stewards please read!!!

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Nonsense. The difference in maximum volume achieved stood up and maximum volume achieved sat down, at withdean, is negligible. We need the fans to sing regardless of if they're sat or stood.

yes but best if the stewards dont curb any enthusiasm .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
yes but best if the stewards dont curb any enthusiasm .

The stewards police the rules NOT make them. If they aren't seen enforcing them then they face the sack. Do you break the rules at your work place and expect to keep your job ?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
On the news last night they had pictures from Bangkok of a political rally, everyone was sat down but shouting and using these clacker things to make a hell of a din...maybe if the club gave everyone a set of clackers on their way into the ground on Saturday it might make a difference, even those who just sit there whinging could get involved, it might even drown them out.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Marvellous isn't it. In a week when everyone is remembering 96 fans who don't even have the opportunity to sit and watch their team anymore, one idiot is blaming the stewards for the lack of atmosphere at Withdean. Hillsborough was the catalyst for the rules which you don't like but you take it out on the Stewards. No stewards, no safety cert and no club. Learn to live with it and rather than blame the stewards just encourage everyone to sing.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
it seems that some wish to turn this into an argument into stewarding at withdean and i have probably not helped . but im trying to get accross that we all want or i would hope we all want brighton to stay in league 1, and to help do that we all need to get behind the team in any way we can in my mind that means making as much noise as we possibly can.

as i said in my original thread i know they are following rules and i agree with them but prehaps for this saturday the stewards could be more lenient and then the atmosphere that could help the club just might materialise.

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
so they let us stand, the FA fine us with a 10point penalty and we're relegated....yeah BRILLIANT idea :bla:

Do you really think this is going to happen? Fans stand every week at loads of grounds in both the Premiership and the Football League in far greater numbers than we would, yet no penalty has been handed out to anyone.

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
The stewards police the rules NOT make them. If they aren't seen enforcing them then they face the sack. Do you break the rules at your work place and expect to keep your job ?

I suppose this is a fair enough point, but I feel the club needs to tell them to take a more tolerant approach and perhaps turn a blind eye to a block of what 50? standing, like they do at many clubs in England and like they do with fans on the back row.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Do you really think this is going to happen? Fans stand every week at loads of grounds in both the Premiership and the Football League in far greater numbers than we would, yet no penalty has been handed out to anyone.

Oh yes it has - a few years ago Man U were fined and had the capacity of stand reduced.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
we now need to get right behind the albion on saturday.we need to scream shout sing applaud make as much noise as we possibly can and to generate this we need to be able to stand for a large proportion of the game.

we dont want to be bullied by the rules that the stewards work to and we know they are there for a reason,but this club needs to survive in this league and to do this withdean needs to be a cauldron of noise.Stewards allow the fans to get behind the team.

Best you get in touch with the safety officer and the police chief constable as they make the rules,we only inforce them.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Aren't stewarding levels set primarily by the size of a ground, hence you would need exactly the same number for a Withdean this season with around 5k fans in it as you would next season with something like 4k...unless they decide to close a stand.

I'm pretty sure this is not true, they were warned this may happen but nothing came from it and fans continue to stand every week on the Stretford End.

Feel free to prove me wrong though.

Don't hold your breath. Champion 7 once claimed that the Albion stewards had won an FA award 3 years running for best stewards in the country yet when I asked for a link or why the club hadn't made a bigger thing of it he went remarkably quiet.

Fact is that there are rules but EVERY OTHER CLUB in the land seems to ignore them except our jobsworths who seem to shit themselves that the club will get fined whereas if truth be told they know that the FA would firstly warn the club (in fact firstly they'd go for bigger fish for fear of being accused of picking on the little guy). They know that the FA doesn't give one little shit about a couple of hundred fans standing at a league one game in a tinpot athletics track in sleepy Sussex. They only pretend that they think the FA worries about it.

Wouldn't be so bad if the rules was uniformly observed at Withdean but we've had this argument with them before and still we just get the usual bullshit.

Very sad state of affairs indeed.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ok, here's what I don't understand...

We MUST sit down ok fine... but why?

If it's so people behind us can see then fair enough... some people don't want to stand up (even when there was a million free seats infront...) but in that case why the hell did they chuck out an albion fan from the BACK ROW!

If its for our own safety then surely we shouldn't be able to stand up at half time either.... that's just as bad isn't it??

Plus, if it is for our own safety then surely it would be a safer, less aggressive environment if we didn't have 10 heavies inciting the crowd every 10 minutes. If people behind couldn't see and were unhappy then fine I concede that people should be made to sit down... but if no one cares... why don't they just leave us alone.

It does seem a case of hard men with a bee in their bonnet who love an excuse to assert some autority..

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
The stewards are idiots they are power MAD its like at away ground the away contingent are always made to sit down yet home fans are allowed bizzare

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
atmosphere was good in H block for the Swindon game until the police started pulling people out and taking details of people who flicked a few v and wanker signs at the Swindon fans. killed the atmosphere dead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here