Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewarding in the North Stand

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Odd as from WSU it looked like one of the few league games where everyone in the North Stand was standing - imagine this was a reaction to over-zealous stewarding?

I'm not being funny, but if you bought a ST in the North Stand with the intention of sitting (or more so expectations of everyone sitting), then you need to have a word with yourself.

Oct 25, 2003
i'll never understand this "law"..........there are so many grounds where people clearly stand for the whole game, and often in most away ends that is also the case

if it's an actual law then the enforcing of it is absolutely terrible because tens of thousands of people are breaking it each week

so it's a law that

1) most of the people who are actually in the situation think it's stupid

2) it usually isn't enforced anyway

so what's the point?!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Odd as from WSU it looked like one of the few league games where everyone in the North Stand was standing - imagine this was a reaction to over-zealous stewarding?

I'm not being funny, but if you bought a ST in the North Stand with the intention of sitting (or more so expectations of everyone sitting), then you need to have a word with yourself.

I can't think anyone would have bought a ticket in the north thinking everyone would b sitting ..especially as it was made clear at the presentation tht u could stand at the back.

Plus if they are going to treat the home support like that then have a go at the away end who generally all stand

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can't think anyone would have bought a ticket in the north thinking everyone would b sitting ..especially as it was made clear at the presentation tht u could stand at the back.

Plus if they are going to treat the home support like that then have a go at the away end who generally all stand

Although to be fair other than the back row the Derby fans did seem to be sitting last night.

Also I think that many people may have looked to the North Stand as being the cheapest, especially if you are buying two or three ST's and maybe didn't think any deeper than that. You also have to remember that most of us bought ST's blindly as the seats weren't even there then.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
As an earlier post alluded to... If the ground/FA regs state that in an all-seater stadium you have to sit down then why did the club create a grey area by saying that the back 4 rows can stand? It was pretty obvious that if they allowed the back 4 to stand it would gradually increase to 5-6-7-....

If they had not made it public knowledge at the start then it might not have been so bad as people would have expected to have been asked to sit down.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Although to be fair other than the back row the Derby fans did seem to be sitting last night.

Also I think that many people may have looked to the North Stand as being the cheapest, especially if you are buying two or three ST's and maybe didn't think any deeper than that. You also have to remember that most of us bought ST's blindly as the seats weren't even there then.
yes..thats why i said ''generally' :)

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
It seems clear there was a change in approach last night.

I just hope the club come out and make an effort to explain the situation because games at the Amex are a complete joy and the last thing we need is a degradation of the fan/steward relationship to the level experienced at Withdean.
:bowdown:searched for the first time last night WHY?

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
It was made clear when we got our tickets that only the back 4 rows were able to stand, don't see why you are all moaning as we were all made aware of the rules.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The Taylor Report (the driving force behind all seater stadia) highlighted quite a few things. One of the most interesting points being that standing is not intrinsically unsafe. The decision to stop any terraces being built was the decision of the government.

Now that the Hillsborough Inquest has shown that the police were severely at fault for the way they policed Hillsborough on that fateful day I think it is time that the seating/standing issued was reopened as clearly the guidance given by the police to the government was potentially flawed to blame the Liverpool fans and making standing look unsafe.

Is it time an e-petition was created for the government to look at standing/seating stadia. Possibly with The Amex being so ground breaking on how it allows home and away fans to mingle then it could be time for BHAFC to stand forward and offer themselves for safe standing trials in England.

It'll probably never happen though.

Any factual inaccuracies are caused by me writing this from memory, apologies to all the pedantic MOFOs

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It was made clear when we got our tickets that only the back 4 rows were able to stand, don't see why you are all moaning as we were all made aware of the rules.

Was it ever written down? Doubt it, deffo not on your ST, or in the ground rules.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Incidentally, from the WSU we could see that throughout the game there was what looked like a TV cameraman in the police box. First half he appeared to be filming what the their operators were doing. Second half he seemed to be filming across the North Stand. May be coincidence. On the night we assumed it was for a TV programme of some sort.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I think you are missing the point entirely - its the complete change in attitude last night compared to the previous 23 home games.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Last night was very different, Doesn't affect me as much (BACK ROW) but that's not to say I don't care.

As I came through the 'Vormitory'? into the stand a steward said were do you sit? If it isn't the back four rows were asking you to sit down please.

Through the game a few came along and we're the north stand, We'll stand were we like was started they generally just smiled and left.

One went a bit further a muttered 'Were the stewards, We'll kick you all out' then laughed as did a few around him, Not once did I see anything more than stewards walknig up and down not any serious threats of explusion or anything.

I understand they have to do their jobs and at the moment they're very good.

Oh N1C.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
There is only answer to the situation and that is safe standing in the northstand,Now that MP has decided to retire and Derek Chapman is going to take on his role im sure that he will be much more sympathectic to safe standing than MP. After all DC was a bosun boy and is a real fan from way back and is a bit old school in his outlook maybe somebody could email him to get his thoughts ect

kikapu

Apr 26, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
:rant: :angry: :rant:

Don't really care if I'm standing or sitting (standing of course is prefered), but when the Steward tells me to sit down it would also be helpful for them to tell the Dickhead infront of me to sit down as well, otherwise I can't see a f***ing thing!!!
He was the only person in the row infront of me standing and it was f***ing pissing me off all evening.

:rant: :angry: :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here