Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewarding in the North Stand

Tolerence from stewarding at our new home probably leads some people to start taking liberties, taking the piss. It's a hobby with some people to bait crowd control, no matter how lenient it is within the boundaries of ground regulations and comfort for people who don't necessarily want to stay standing after every corner or etc.
Just play ball, there's no intent to grind everyone down with policing!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'm N1A Row S he is R and for the whole season to date Row Q backwards has been standing. For the first few games the stewards had a few "can you sit downs" but Liverpool, Leeds and Palace the whole NS stood for the whole game. After that, as I said Row Q backwards have stood.

I have heard nobody moan or complain so I cannot see that is the cause and anyway people wouldn't wait until March to complain would they.

Somebody else posted last night that there was a "big wig" in attendance which may or may not be the case.

The steward who did stand up in the aisle for the last fifteen minutes or so was however reasonable and was joining in with the chants and songs at times.

First half they tall grey hair steward was having a right go and almost started proceeding to throw one fan in front of me out, but relented. Then for the last half hour of the first half they all disappeared and it went back to normal and then came back in the second half.

It appeared that two were asked to leave on the other side of the aisle about five rows down from me in the last five minutes of the game.

It was interesting that they did seem to accept sitting/leaning on your seat whilst it was still in the upright position

Probably the best steward i've ever had. My dad yelled f*** Off to me, usually that's a propper slap on the wrists but when he said "oh, i'm talking to my son not causing trouble" the steward said fair play, just do it a bit closer to him and a bit quieter. His attitude to everything was superb.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Incidentally when something DOES kick off, north stand stewards are VERY slow to react. N1A, a guy with a flag behind me had the flagg bit fall off the stick, and land on some ones head infront of me. I asked (i felt politely, i hadn't been drinking so i'm quite safe in saying that) the flag back and said sorry and thought it was a bit of a laugh, no harm done as per everyone around me.

He proceeded to call me a ****, a mole (or some other small animal) threatened to beat me up. At this point the guys behind me tell him to calm down, then he starts making a move to come over the seats to start a fight - which 2 rows behind don't take kindly to because they're the fathers of the guys 1 row behind.

So several people get very shouty, calling each other *****. No one came up once. They were 7 or 8 rows down doing the whole "sit down" bullshit while some middle aged big shot tries to start a fight with some 17 year olds.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Talking to the stewards around me in the North last night and they were under orders to clamp down (and be seen to be clamping down) on anyone standing from Row 5 downwards. With the rationale (they'd been told) that, if we as a club can't enforce all seater stadium with our present capacity, it will put the ability to gain approval for the extra 8,000 seats at risk. Which the club obviously doesn't want to happen, hence the more zealous policing of the policy.

I have to say that I've built up a great relationship with all the stewards around us (including the female steward who was in the family stand at Withdean) and they seemed to be as pissed off with the crackdown as much as the impacted supporters were. It's an earner for them and if they go against their orders, they lose that £.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Im in the North row P to the left, I and the others around me are all fortunate, we seem to be the row where you can sit or stand, as in front everyone sits and behind everyone stands. Last night we were told a number of times to sit by stewards (first time this season) and they also made a note of the seats numbers? Does that mean a letter?

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
Ridiculous stuff last night. Was in the back row of the Family Stand with most of the row empty. 3 MINUTES from the end of a great game a steward asked a guy 2 seats away from me and myself to sit down (we were actually resting on seats rather than standing). I did so but bloke next to me didn't. He then called his supervisor over and asked to see his ticket (bloke refused as he was getting narked), he then said right I will take your seat details,. at this stage I got involved and just asked what the point of this was with 3 minutes left and he took my seat number!

Completely unneccessary given we were in the back row with no one near us and game nearly over (there were about 10 stewards standing behind us..overkill)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have to say that I've built up a great relationship with all the stewards around us (including the female steward who was in the family stand at Withdean) and they seemed to be as pissed off with the crackdown as much as the impacted supporters were. It's an earner for them and if they go against their orders, they lose that £.

Nearly two pages and you're the first to highlight that the stewards are only doing their job. Many do it to make ends meet and can't afford to lose their job. At Withdean there was a steward who refused to make people sit down - he was sacked on the spot and marched from the stadium. If people have a problem with the policy then complain to the club, the FA and the government.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Nearly two pages and you're the first to highlight that the stewards are only doing their job. Many do it to make ends meet and can't afford to lose their job. At Withdean there was a steward who refused to make people sit down - he was sacked on the spot and marched from the stadium. If people have a problem with the policy then complain to the club, the FA and the government.

I don't care, I'll sit when those in front sit and stand when they stand. What doesn't help is the club officials will say something unofficially about turning a blind eye and so many rows can stand etc etc and it's all just too woolly and ambiguous. If the club are going to change the stance on their 'unofficial' standing policy just come out and say it once and for all and help the Stewards and the fans know what is expected of them.
I hate to say anything against the current owners/off field management but, as far as I can see, they don't see communication with the fans in the current climate as necessary (i.e. Insider's less frequent visits to ask the club highlight that to me). It seems to be a 'do as we say or else expect a letter' policy.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
That is because the issue is not if the stewards are doing their job or not, its why 23 games into the season they have changed their policy

Policy? Didn't they just turn a blind eye, as it has been previous mentioned it due to a number of reasons, fans complaints at other fans standing, extra SEATING planing permission and the club being asked to by other authority's. the stewards who i know said they been asked to reinforce it from now on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That is because the issue is not if the stewards are doing their job or not, its why 23 games into the season they have changed their policy

The CLUB have changed their policy yet a vast majority of the posts on this thread attack the stewards.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
If this is down to people in the North wanting to sit down may I suggest they move to one of the other 20-odd thousand seats in the stadium!? The North was always going to be the one to create an atmoshpere and if they're all made to sit down the Amex is quickly going to turn into a library.

100% Spot on.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The CLUB have changed their policy yet a vast majority of the posts on this thread attack the stewards.

Club, Stewards, same difference, Stewards are employees of the club so carry out their instructions - I not arguing about whether the Club/Stewards are right or wrong, its the fact, without warning, a change of policy has been adopted for match 24 compared to matches 1-23. All of a sudden a passive approach was repalced in certain cases with a confrontational approach, which tbh understandably wound some supporters up.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Until the law is changed you don't have a choice between standing up or sitting down.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Apparently the stewards had to prove they could be able to get everyone to sit including the away end so that we are able to add the extra 8000 seats.

Something along those lines..

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Looking at the bigger picture , the club needs the application for the extra seats to go through , so if their was a visit by "officials" last night this maybe an explaination. Also is the policy change pre-empting what will happen in the Premier League ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Every time I walk up the stairs into the North I say hello to the grey haired lady steward who is always standing there. Not once has she said hello back, in fact she usually looks at me with utter disdain.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As long as the stewards aren't arseholes about it, it should be ok long term. People will get used to sitting down after some exciting action, and it should be good. But they do need to make the front lot sit first.

Maybe the club could liaise with fans and have more than 4 rows standing, but it's fair enough that some people want to be able to sit in the north stand.

I'll now get my coat and my horlicks.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
When we bought our tickets we were told it would be standing only for the back 4 rows, so we bought ours there.

I'll be glad when they force everyone else to sit down coz I can see EFF all when the ball comes into the box at the moment :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here