Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Jobs Dead

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Apple 4S(teve)
Extraordinary level of repeated innovation, made even more significant given the time span it covered without faltering

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
RIP one of the greatest innovators of the last century.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The word 'genius' is thrown around like confetti these days, but Steve Jobs really was one. RIP.

Very true. You don't have to be an Apple fanboy to think that the man was an inspired innovator and a true visionary

Stumpy Tim

I heard a story about Steve Jobs last week. He was asked why he bought Pixar, and his reply was "because I want to own Disney". People laughed. Disney bought Pixar and Jobs ended up being the majority shareholder of Disney... so he died owning Disney as he wanted.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Sorry, I don't idolise Steve Jobs and I'm not going to start just because he's died.

RIP? Certainly.

However, while he was undoubtedly a great innovator, his business pracitices left a lot to be desired in my opinion. He was ruthless in his attempt to destroy all competition and deliberately made Aplle products in a way as to ensure they weren't compatible with other products. Worse than many other businessmen (including Gates?) - No. But the idolisation of him by Apple fans and the way they argue that Apple is in some way more ethical than Microsoft is a joke.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Sorry, I don't idolise Steve Jobs and I'm not going to start just because he's died.

RIP? Certainly.

However, while he was undoubtedly a great innovator, his business pracitices left a lot to be desired in my opinion. He was ruthless in his attempt to destroy all competition and deliberately made Aplle products in a way as to ensure they weren't compatible with other products. Worse than many other businessmen (including Gates?) - No. But the idolisation of him by Apple fans and the way they argue that Apple is in some way more ethical than Microsoft is a joke.

I don't think this is the thread to start a Microsoft vs Apple binfest. The man was an innovator who's (stubborn) visions fundamentally changed the technology industry.

A legend. RIP.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

RIP? Certainly.

I agree with much of this but a) despite this, he was a genius, an innovator and a visionary and that deserves to be celebrated and b) it's not exactly the time and place to pick a fight with the fanboys. Respect the man's talent and vision. De mortuis nihil nisi bonum and all that

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
There is one thing Apple did which I think has benefitted Linux hugely. Since about 2000 they started showing the customers that actually you don't have to use Windows in order to use a computer. So customers looked around at alternatives. Many people that could not afford a Mac looked at Linux. Steve Jobs was the visionary and Steve Wozniak was the genius. That is how I will see it.

The list below are computer heroes:

1) Tim Berners Lee
2) Richard StallMan
3) Stever Jobs
4) Steve Wozniak

5) Linus Torvalds

6) Richard StallMan
7) Bill Gates

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There is one thing Apple did which I think has benefitted Linux hugely. Since about 2000 they started showing the customers that actually you don't have to use Windows in order to use a computer. So customers looked around at alternatives. Many people that could not afford a Mac looked at Linux. Steve Jobs was the visionary and Steve Wozniak was the genius. That is how I will see it.

1) Tim Berners Lee
2) Richard StallMan
3) Stever Jobs
4) Steve Wozniak

5) Linus Torvalds

6) Richard StallMan
7) Bill Gates

No Alan Turing then?!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

1) Tim Berners Lee
2) Richard StallMan
3) Stever Jobs
4) Steve Wozniak

5) Linus Torvalds

6) Richard StallMan
7) Bill Gates

No Charles Babbage ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

1) Tim Berners Lee
2) Richard StallMan
3) Stever Jobs
4) Steve Wozniak

5) Linus Torvalds

6) Richard StallMan
7) Bill Gates

Big Richard Stallman fan then?

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Very few people who could elicit such a good response on a fan site.

But suggest we have more than a roundabout for Alan Turing for technology and the world remember a certain Mr Trevithick et al who makes it easier to watch games away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll forever be grateful to him for the iPod. A marvellous piece of design and something which has rarely been out of my hands since I first purchased one. I still opt for the classic model, a perfect marriage of first class design and technology.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here