Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Jobs Dead

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Good comparison

not really: its more like asking Cliff Richard about Elvis (baring in mind his success in the 50's and 60's). typicall of people from these shores, i dont think people realise just how successfull Sugar and Amstrad was for a while. on that note, i wonder if there will be this outpouring of grief when Berners-Lee leaves this mortal coil - there'd be no www, no itunes or anything worth having iphone/ipad for if it weren't for him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i wonder if there will be this outpouring of grief when Berners-Lee leaves this mortal coil - there'd be no www, no itunes or anything worth having iphone/ipad for if it weren't for him.

Good point. Not only has Tim Berners-Lee had a more profound impact on our world than Jobs has but he also made the philanthropic gesture of handing his work over to humanity. He could have made a fortune for patenting his developments but has made the world an infinitely better place.

I wonder what outpourings of grief there'll be for Bill Gates who, like Jobs, created a massive company but unlike Jobs decided to give away most of his fortune to charity.

Gwylan types this yesterday in this thread...

I agree with much of this but a) despite this, he was a genius, an innovator and a visionary and that deserves to be celebrated and b) it's not exactly the time and place to pick a fight with the fanboys. Respect the man's talent and vision. De mortuis nihil nisi bonum and all that

and this less than 24 hours later...

Good point. Not only has Tim Berners-Lee had a more profound impact on our world than Jobs has but he also made the philanthropic gesture of handing his work over to humanity. He could have made a fortune for patenting his developments but has made the world an infinitely better place.

I wonder what outpourings of grief there'll be for Bill Gates who, like Jobs, created a massive company but unlike Jobs decided to give away most of his fortune to charity.

Didn't exactly give the fanboys long for their grieving before you started on Jobs, did you?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gwylan types this yesterday in this thread...

and this less than 24 hours later...

Didn't exactly give the fanboys long for their grieving before you started on Jobs, did you?

Eh? How am I starting on Jobs? He was a brilliant innovator and a superb businessman, nothing I wrote above diminishes that. I don't see how praising the achievements of other people means that I must be knocking him. That's like saying that if you praise the performance of another team in the Championship, then you must be having a pop at Brighton.

Eh? How am I starting on Jobs? He was a brilliant innovator and a superb businessman, nothing I wrote above diminishes that..

Really? Then what about comments such as "Not only has Tim Berners-Lee had a more profound impact on our world than Jobs has but he also made the philanthropic gesture of handing his work over to humanity...."

and "I wonder what outpourings of grief there'll be for Bill Gates who, like Jobs, created a massive company but unlike Jobs decided to give away most of his fortune to charity."

That's 2 very specific digs at Jobs for not being generous enough in your eyes with his own money. You haven't just praised other people, you've made comparisons between these and Jobs. It's absolutely nothing like your crap Albion analogy.

Sounds a little like our own Sir Alan Sugar, but that apparently seems to be the way to succeed in business. You don't get to the top of the greasy pole by being Mr. Nice guy.
Sir Richard Branson did.

By Richard Branson October 6, 2011 | 12:41 pm | Categories: People
Woke this morning to hear the sad news that Steve Jobs has lost his battle with cancer. He was a truly great businessman but more than that he was an inspiration to young people, entrepreneurs, inventors, designers, early adopters, budding musicians, and people with disabilities who discovered with Apple’s devices a way to engage with the world.

So many people drew courage from Steve and related to his life story: adoptees, college drop-outs, struggling entrepreneurs, ousted business leaders figuring out how to make a difference in the world, and people fighting debilitating illness. We have all been there in some way and can see a bit of ourselves in his personal and professional successes and struggles.

He inspired with his direct message, “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life…have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.” And yet, despite all his success — he never forgot what was really important in life and was a much loved family man. My thoughts are with Laurene and his family. He will be sorely missed.

Here’s an earlier post from me on Steve Jobs:
The entrepreneur I most admire - Virgin.com

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really? Then what about comments such as "Not only has Tim Berners-Lee had a more profound impact on our world than Jobs has but he also made the philanthropic gesture of handing his work over to humanity...."

and "I wonder what outpourings of grief there'll be for Bill Gates who, like Jobs, created a massive company but unlike Jobs decided to give away most of his fortune to charity."

That's 2 very specific digs at Jobs for not being generous enough in your eyes with his own money. You haven't just praised other people, you've made comparisons between these and Jobs. It's absolutely nothing like your crap Albion analogy.

Total rubbish. I wasn't making any digs at Jobs. He was perfectly entitled to do what he wanted with his money - doesn't make him a lesser person. I wasn't praising other people, I was musing on how they might be treated on their deaths - there were no other value judgments. I'll say it again, I wonder whether Bill Gates or Tim Berners-Lee will get the same or more levels of grief (note that I don't say that they should).

When I wrote that last night, I did pause and think whether someone would think it contradicted what I said earlier but read it again and thought it was pretty clear that I wasn't knocking Jobs.

It's sometimes hard to get a message across on a message board so here's the appreciation of Jobs I wrote yesterday Steve Jobs: the visionary who changed computing for good | Cloud Pro It seems pretty clear cut to me but no doubt you'll extract some hidden meaning that he was a Satanist and paedophile out of it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Good article Max. "And that was the genius of Jobs: the ability to take technology and make it instantly accessible to the ordinary consumer." Exactly that. Everyone who uses an Apple thinks they're good with computers. That's true genius.

I wonder if there's a term companies whose main emphasis tends towards popularising high-quality products, rather than spearheading the actual innovation in itself. Sony, Apple, even VW should be on that list.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't know if this is the place, but it doesn't seem worth starting a new thread over:

What Everyone Is Too Polite to Say About Steve Jobs

Mmmm, there's not anything here that hasn't been said. While he appeared to have mellowed somewhat in later years, Jobs' temper and ability to cut people down to size is legendary, not really something that people (least of all Apple fans) are reluctant to talk about.

The writer of the article appears to think that Jobs was regarded as a saint. He was not. He was widely regarded as a genius, and that's a very different thing.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
My view is: Bill Gates has donated $28 billion to charity, Steve Jobs will be missed but did nothing like that. He was a great man, who's done wonders for apple but stopped all apple philanthropic programs. If he wanted to, he could of made a real difference to the world not just on the technical side of which only about 5% of people can afford apple products anyway.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
My view is: Bill Gates has donated $28 billion to charity, Steve Jobs will be missed but did nothing like that. He was a great man, who's done wonders for apple but stopped all apple philanthropic programs. If he wanted to, he could of made a real difference to the world not just on the technical side of which only about 5% of people can afford apple products anyway.

Well, Steve Jobs did make an immense, enriching cultural difference to the world, including to people who have never bought an Apple product.

As this article illustrates:
http://t.co/4Fdqdx18

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well, Steve Jobs did make an immense, enriching cultural difference to the world, including to people who have never bought an Apple product.

As this article illustrates:
http://t.co/4Fdqdx18

Jobs genius was to convince millions of people they understood how computers work.

... and Bill Gates genius was not to bother.

Point I'm making way well be understood by people who work in IT, particularly Business Analysis.

I don't directly do that but, I've noticed the "Apple effect" over the years in a sometimes helpful but often unhelpful way.

On the subject of your 13 year old article, here is a much better one which proves my overall belief that Apples "genius" (if you want to call it it) is to take other people original idea and market it better. I was gutted FingerWorks went under was I was tying to hold of one of their keyboards.

FingerWorks ? You've probably never heard of them. They invented something called "Multi-touch gestures", but the majority of the cult probably think differently....

Did Apple invent? (patent, ipod, ipad, mouse, tablet, OS X, App store) | Expert Reviews

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here