Steve Jobs Dead

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Sad news - RIP Steve

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I really hate apple and most of their products, but the man was a genius. Truly one of the smartest, savviest, most forward thinking men in the world ever to have lived. He not only pushed and advanced his company but hundreds of others as they tried to beat apple. He made it so others HAD to try to be better, making his market a much better place. One of the greats of our history. RIP.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont worry, he'll be back in 3 days to launch the iphone 5.

(sorry, couldnt resist it)

seriously, great technological visionary.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sad day for the technology community, RIP

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Am I the only person who has never heard of him? :blush: Well if I had I'd forgotten.

I'd never heard of this person until I read it on NSC.

I find that genuinely astonishing. I know that business people aren't widely known outside their world but I'd have thought that Jobs was one of the very few exceptions. The fact that he was the lead story in just about every news site this morning speaks volumes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought the general opinion when he resigned as ceo that it was a matter of time, I'm surprised so many people are shocked.

I find that genuinely astonishing. I know that business people aren't widely known outside their world but I'd have thought that Jobs was one of the very few exceptions. The fact that he was the lead story in just about every news site this morning speaks volumes.

It's always sad when someone pops off and I feel sorry for his family and friends but his passing does not affect my life. Obviously a genius in his field but I'm sure the world will keep turning.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry, I don't idolise Steve Jobs and I'm not going to start just because he's died.

RIP? Certainly.

However, while he was undoubtedly a great innovator, his business pracitices left a lot to be desired in my opinion. He was ruthless in his attempt to destroy all competition and deliberately made Aplle products in a way as to ensure they weren't compatible with other products. Worse than many other businessmen (including Gates?) - No. But the idolisation of him by Apple fans and the way they argue that Apple is in some way more ethical than Microsoft is a joke.

You make it sound like he only worked at Apple? Let us not forget his shareholders and board actually got rid of him for 10 years as they didn't feel he was profitable enough. Did he disappear? No, first he founded NeXT, then he helped found Pixar. The man will be remembered as an undoubted genius. Once he returned to Apple, he appointed Jonathon Ive, and developed the first iMac, the first computer to be a desirable object in its own right, an affordable machine, compact, and easy to use. Prior to his reappointment as CEO, Apple was on it's knee's, some thought it may not even survive.

For anyone that has ever used both PC's and Apple, especially in the early '90's, the difference in ease of use, and user experience was stark. While Windows undoubtedly had functionality, it lacks the intuitive joy of using a Mac. I've used both for 20 years, and still do, but always use Apple OS as my base.

You seem to have more of a problem with the fact Apple has fans that idolise the company, rather than rationalise what actually this man achieved as a human being.

RIP Steve Jobs, a visionary in every sense.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It said on TV he was the "co-founder" of Apple who from that list above were the others/other?

Steve Wosniak and Ronald Wayne. Wosniak and Jobs hand built the first Apple in Jobs bedroom. Wosniak stayed at Apple, but he retired after a plane crash. Wayne relinquished his role in the partnership in the late '70's and had worked with Jobs previously at Atari.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It said on TV he was the "co-founder" of Apple who from that list above were the others/other?

Steve Wosniak and Ron Wayne. (I'm slightly worried I knew both of the others!)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I genuinely feel a bit sad. Very inspirational chap.

Wonder what it means for Apple. They nosedived badly the last time they were without him and there are very few examples of companies whose fortunes are so intrinsically linked to their founders in such a way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here