Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Coppell Poll

Is Coppell

• Total voters

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I wouldn't go as far as Brighton legend, because in the end, although results and performances under him were excellent, he didn't actually achieve anything, and didn't even do a full season.

He is a brilliant manager though, and a top man. Don't really care about his Palace connections.

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Could do with a few more options on the poll.

Don't think he's an Albion legend but was a good manager for us. Also have to respect him for coming back and taking part in the Falmer marches.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Could do with a few more options on the poll.

Don't think he's an Albion legend but was a good manager for us. Also have to respect him for coming back and taking part in the Falmer marches.

The whole point was it was supposed to be an "either/or" poll but in retrospect it needed more options. This has developed into an interesting debate over the merits of Adams, Taylor and Coppell.

Just found this passage about Peter Taylor:

Monday, 29 April, 2002, 14:53 GMT 15:53 UK
Peter Taylor has walked out on Brighton - claiming he was forced into the decision by the club's uncertain future.

Taylor's agent insists he has not resigned from Brighton to join another club.

He quit the south coast club just three weeks after guiding Brighton into the First Division, and revealed doubts over a new ground played a key role in his departure.

Taylor said: "It was the lack of the future being clear because of the new stadium.

"I'm very frustrated to be going because Brighton with a new stadium would be one of the best jobs in the world, and it would be nice to see all our supporters in the stadium.

"But everyone keeps telling me it is three years away again."

Interesting when Dick Knight said we'd had 10 managers in the last 10 years. I did some research. We've had 15 managers in the last 20 years. Dunno if I've missed anyone out. No one mentions Horton these days.

Jan 1987 - Dec 1993......Barry Lloyd (resigned)
Dec 1993 - Nov 1995.....Liam Brady (resigned)
Nov 1995 - Dec 1996.....Jimmy Case (sacked)
Dec 1996 - Feb 1998.....Steve Gritt (sacked)
Feb 1998 - Jan 1999......Brian Horton (quit to join Port Vale)
Jan 1999 - Apr 1999......Jeff Wood (caretaker then full time manager; sacked)
Apr 1999 - Oct 2001......Micky Adams (quit to join Sheffield United)
Oct 2001.....................Bob Booker (caretaker)
Oct 2001 - Apr 2002......Peter Taylor (quit to join Hull City)
Jul 2002......................Bob Booker (caretaker)
Aug 2002 - Oct 2002.....Martin Hinshelwood (sacked)
Oct 2002 - Oct 2003.....Steve Coppell (quit to join Reading)
Oct 2003.....................Bob Booker (caretaker)
Oct 2003 - Sep 2006.....Mark McGhee (sacked)
Sep 2006 - present.......Dean Wilkins (caretaker then full time manager)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Are you sure ???

Sidwell left us in January 2003 whilst Coppell was with us. It was straight after the Coventry away game. Pardew was there watching.

People are re-writing history here. Micky Adams also got Leicester promoted to the Premiership after he left us. It was our game at the Walker's stadium when it happened because I remember Adams walking across the pitch, ignoring the celebrating Leics team to applaud the Brighton fans. (Easter Sat 2003)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ok he got it wrong about Virgo (but what manager hasnt made a wrong call on a player once or twice) just about everything else he got spot on.

I have the utmost respect for Copell.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
He has been a feverent and participative supporter of the Falmer cause and it is fantastic what he has done for Kerry Mayo in bringing a full strength team down. He is an Albion legend.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I tend to agree that he is certainly a very good manager, a great supporter of Falmer and it would not surprise me one little bit if he is manager at the club when we play our first game at Falmer.

Is he a legend though? No IMHO, the only Albion Legend in my eyes is Peter Ward.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think that its tragic that Peter Ward appears to be the only Albion legend. What about the unsung heroes like Peter O'sullivan are they legends?

The way I look at it is this:

If you thought about Brighton and Hove Albion what is the first player's name that comes into your head. For me its Peter Ward. He is still probably the only player to have played for Brighton who i would have gone out of my way and paid money to watch.

I think I have never seen any other Albion player who could single handedly turn a game around with his sublime speed, close control and accuracy. Yes Zamora was a very good player, as was lawrenson, John Byrne, Michael Robinson...all internationals in their own right, which wardy was not, and would be regarded as legends, however I tend to think when I was formulating my love for the Albion, if there wasnt a Ward or someone who really excited me as a supporter, I would have gone to London and followed Chelsea as did loads of my mates from Brighton at the time.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I don't disagree with you. Thats why I think its tragic that we have not seen a player of the likes of Peter Ward play for the Albion in a long time. In my opinion sully is a legend but I agree he was not in the same class as ward

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't disagree with you. Thats why I think its tragic that we have not seen a player of the likes of Peter Ward play for the Albion in a long time. In my opinion sully is a legend but I agree he was not in the same class as ward

I think one of the problems is the big/small club debate.

If we all sat back and looked at it dispassionately, we would see we are regarded by mnost people as a small seaside town that has a football team that hovers between the second and third tier of professional football. As with most clubs we have had our "glory" days, ie three seasons in the top flight and an FA Cup final appearance. A lot of clubs would give their high teeth for that, but being that small a club, attracting the very best in players is always going to be a problem.

We are light years away from the Premiership Clubs in terms of players, infrastructure etc etc and if you were honest, probably far away from many Championship Clubs.

Certainly Falmer will help raise the profile, but will we be a club who will compete with the premiership sides?...probably not...Championship sides?...maybe. First Division...hopefully.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Good manager, did a good job, knew what he was doing unlike some others we've had, not a legend though, he wasn't here long enough for starters.

I think one of the problems is the big/small club debate.

If we all sat back and looked at it dispassionately, we would see we are regarded by mnost people as a small seaside town that has a football team that hovers between the second and third tier of professional football. As with most clubs we have had our "glory" days, ie three seasons in the top flight and an FA Cup final appearance. A lot of clubs would give their high teeth for that, but being that small a club, attracting the very best in players is always going to be a problem.

We are light years away from the Premiership Clubs in terms of players, infrastructure etc etc and if you were honest, probably far away from many Championship Clubs.

Certainly Falmer will help raise the profile, but will we be a club who will compete with the premiership sides?...probably not...Championship sides?...maybe. First Division...hopefully.

What he said - though in all honsesty he had three good years with us and could never quite cutit in the old First Division as much as we wanted him to (or indeed expected him too). But then goalscorers are always legends (apart possily from the brat Knight)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really rate the guy as a manager, one of the best, but quite what he has done to be considered an Albion legend I don't know:nono:

Nice guy, supportive of Falmer, did a good job in difficult circumstances but I thought you had to actually achieve something to be an Albion legend, wtf are 83 of you doing voting him an ALBION legend :eek:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I really rate the guy as a manager, one of the best, but quite what he has done to be considered an Albion legend I don't know:nono:

Nice guy, supportive of Falmer, did a good job in difficult circumstances but I thought you had to actually achieve something to be an Albion legend, wtf are 83 of you doing voting him an ALBION legend :eek:

I guess these are immotive times, "Legend-ism" is being thrown about a bit too freely, I agree.

Unfortunately, nice bloke, great manager, but not a legend, wasn't a poll option !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here