Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Cooper.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’m pretty sure our next manager needs to be someone who plays possession based football, builds from the back, and is great at developing young players. Cooper no doubt ticks the last box, but not so sure about the first two. Potter definitely ticks all three, so - if it were a choice - I’d go for Potter over Cooper every time.
I’d be amazed if we were considering Cooper.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 48

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It looks as if we won't be able to get anyone better than De Zerbi. I wonder why? Lack of ambition? Limited budget? I suspect both reasons apply to some degree.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am not quite sure why there is such anti online about this, other than the fact that we had a guy who could have been the next Klopp, and now we're looking at Steve Cooper. It's not exciting at all.

But it makes a lot of sense. Highly rated, loved by Forest fans, came through the England setup. Could be decent.
Not going to set the world on fire. But if the top brass just want someone who won’t kick off in press conferences, will work with young players, will give the recruitment team some breathing space, will win a few games and doesn’t come with a ton of baggage we could do worse.

Let’s also not forget he did better at Swansea than our Graham.

Won’t get in Europe but by March we’ll be comfortably in mid table and able to bring in the real next guy.

You’re right that Forest fans absolutely loved him.

Stumpy Tim

I wonder if the reaction would be different if the rumour was an unknown manager from Italy, Stefano Cooperio, who took a team from the relegation zone in Serie B up into Serie A and then comfortably kept them up - all the time with an absolute basket case of ownership and a thousand players he didn't want.

I've always liked Cooper. Did an excellent job at Swansea too.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Interesting reading the early posts on this thread, far more seemed OK with Cooper than they do now

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If we end up going from one of the most exciting young coaches in Europe to Steve Cooper we will be a laughing stock and rightly so.

All those who were so against Potters return - be careful what you wish for.
Indeed.

I'm very careful in the wording of the wish I'm making... I'm against Potter or Cooper being appointed - and to be fair they aren't the only 2 coaches in the world.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wonder if the reaction would be different if the rumour was an unknown manager from Italy, Stefano Cooperio, who took a team from the relegation zone in Serie B up into Serie A and then comfortably kept them up - all the time with an absolute basket case of ownership and a thousand players he didn't want.

I've always liked Cooper. Did an excellent job at Swansea too.
Ha! That’s a good point.

Although it would be different if that club was, say, Frosinine compared to, say, Sampdoria.

SofaKing

Jul 26, 2018
I'm not sure why he's been labelled by some as playing a negative style. I think he's actually tactically flexible and had to be pragmatic at Forest due to the lack of squad planning and working with 143 new players. That's not how we roll so I would expect him to favour a possession based style.

Didn't he coach Swansea (and get them to the playoffs) in between Potter and Martin's stints? That says it all.

I think he'll do well. Not hugely exciting but we just had that and it blew-up in the end.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I am not quite sure why there is such anti online about this, other than the fact that we had a guy who could have been the next Klopp, and now we're looking at Steve Cooper. It's not exciting at all.

But it makes a lot of sense. Highly rated, loved by Forest fans, came through the England setup. Could be decent.
If those are the criteria for appointing a new manager then we’re really in trouble.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A lot of people, probably including Steve Cooper, would have had us play better football than we've done in 2024 and better results than we had in 23/24 while keeping a better relation with the club than the Grumpy Italian Bloke did.

Finding a better manager is no problem. Cooper is fine. His CV is impressive and he tix a lot of boxes. He gets results, players like him (the way you like a grown-up mature person, not the way you like a crazy clown), players develop under him and he has no fears playing younger players and won't beg Tony för a bunch of 25-30-year-olds that we're not signing under any circumstances.

The huge question mark is only his style of football, but its difficult to know if it has been a case of playing according to resources or if its just the way he wants it.

When he took over Swansea after Potter, he used his connections as a former England U17 manager and brought in a bunch of the best talent on loan: Guehi, Gallagher and Brewster were three of those who came in. While results were good, it was quite perplexing watching them play their deep defense-hoofball tactics. Future PL players put in a Championship system. But hey it worked rather well and Swansea ended up 6th which was probably slightly above what they should have with the squad.

The achivements in Nottingham Forest were fantastic of course. The squad he took over from Chris H was far from as bad Chris had it playing (which was the topic of a hot NSC debate), but it was still a massive thing to get them promoted after that start (1 point from first 7 games).
When they got up they did certainly back him up with some new signings. Too many actually. And finding the right mix of them to stay up in the end was a job well done.

Overall most things point at him being a very good coach. It could be interesting to see what he could do in a well-run club.
Don’t disagree with any of this…..

But do you always need to write an essay?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I really hope this isn’t true as he would be an uninspiring appointment. I know he did ok with Swanse and Forest and he might keep us up but he doesn’t exactly play innovative football and would be a massive downgrade on what we have had. After 7 years in the Premier League, it would be a bit depressing that our ambition is limited to appointing someone like him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here