Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Cooper.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not got a problem with Cooper, seems to have done a decent job at Swansea and Forest, but would be a huge downgrade from RDZ and would also raise a lot of questions about the supposed succession planning.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cooper an awful manager. Would be a huge underwhelming appointment and desperate from our point of view

Disagree completely. He could be exactly what we need. He is apparently a good motivator, which our players are probably in need of - our team has spent six months in relegation form thanks to a manager who believed all the hype surrounding him, influenced two of the worst value signings we've probably ever made, and chose to whine to the press and whore himself to any big club paying attention to him.

I'd take Cooper over another half season like that.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I really hope this isn’t true as he would be an uninspiring appointment. I know he did ok with Swanse and Forest and he might keep us up but he doesn’t exactly play innovative football and would be a massive downgrade on what we have had. After 7 years in the Premier League, it would be a bit depressing that our ambition is limited to appointing someone like him.
This.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I still think they may go for Rob Edwards if we don't go for a foreign coach.

Young, has some experience in the Prem, comes across well - to me he would fit the TB mold (if there is such a thing).
I would prefer Rob Edwards over Cooper, I prefer the more attacking intent by Edwards and was impressed how he motivated Luton to come out fighting most matches.

Actually out of all the managers mentioned lately, he is my preferred choice.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not got a problem with Cooper, seems to have done a decent job at Swansea and Forest, but would be a huge downgrade from RDZ and would also raise a lot of questions about the supposed succession planning.
We don't know for sure that he isn't part of our succession planning! The club very much keep schtum about who is on their list.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I really hope this isn’t true as he would be an uninspiring appointment. I know he did ok with Swanse and Forest and he might keep us up but he doesn’t exactly play innovative football and would be a massive downgrade on what we have had. After 7 years in the Premier League, it would be a bit depressing that our ambition is limited to appointing someone like him.
A massive downgrade on what we've had? In the table for the second half of the season, we were 4th or 5th from bottom. The worst six months since the six months that got Hughton sacked.

Do we really want another coach who does 18 months and then downs tools despite being heavily backed and fully aware of the limitations of the job he took?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A massive downgrade on what we've had? In the table for the second half of the season, we were 4th or 5th from bottom. The worst six months since the six months that got Hughton sacked.

Do we really want another coach who does 18 months and then downs tools despite being heavily backed and fully aware of the limitations of the job he took?
Tactically, it has to be a massive downgrade.

RDZ threw a massive strop due to injury and recruitment issues and was unable to inspire his team to play well. He demonstrated this by refusing to play his favoured 4-2-3-1 formation and tactics because he didn’t believe he had the personal to do it (he was probably right). But with the right players, we’d have done an awful lot better.

I was looking forward to an evolution of Dezerbiball with the recruitment of McKenna but if Cooper comes, it’ll surely be an evolved form of Hughton’s tactics. My hopes for a top 10 finish would be dashed and I’d be praying for a repeat of 11th (although expecting 15th).

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Exceptional at England youth levels (all be it with strong squad) and actually won things. Very decent at both his senior Champ/PL jobs too. Agree if he was Italian or German and had catwalk looks, many on here would be more positive.

He strikes me as the best of the rest. There are 9 huge clubs in PL these days and we would be signing someone who's done more than Mckenna at Ipswich has yet. Potter lurking in the shadows another similar level who's certainly tainted to us. Certainly not the type those 9 would be expected to hire. I know chelsea took Potter and them and united looked at Mckenna but those clubs are not well run lately compared to the other big7.

We could do far worse, but I'll be slightly disappointed if we get our match in him as a best of the rest rather than some exotic and exciting, hardly any of us have heard of, manager from abroad via algorithms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here