Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
From what I know, I suspect this one will go ahead, unfortunately for us.

I'll be sorry to see him go as I reckon he has a bright future ahead of him, and I'd like that to be with us. However, and it's perfectly understandable, young lads want to be playing regular 1st team football and if they're offered that opportunity on a very good deal at a good club at a reasonable standard where they're happy to move to, then who can blame them ? :shrug: Yes we look short at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dunk stays, Greer is as solid as a rock, El Abd's back and looking good, Elphick's still to return from injury and there's versatility from Vincelot and Calderon. Would you put your career on hold for if's, but's and maybe's ?

Good luck to Steve Cook, whether he stays or goes...he's a very good player and a nice lad who deserves every success.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
This is very sad. Already more than good enough to be a starter in Champ, only getting better. If Dunk is worth 6M I think Cook is 5M easy. Might be because he's local and only seen him 2-3 times not 10 or so like Dunk but would be devastated if sell.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I'll be sorry to see him go as I reckon he has a bright future ahead of him, and I'd like that to be with us. However, and it's perfectly understandable, young lads want to be playing regular 1st team football and if they're offered that opportunity on a very good deal at a good club at a reasonable standard where they're happy to move to, then who can blame them ? :shrug: Yes we look short at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dunk stays, Greer is as solid as a rock, El Abd's back and looking good, Elphick's still to return from injury and there's versatility from Vincelot and Calderon. Would you put your career on hold for if's, but's and maybe's ?
I think that nails it. Considering how starved of any first team action he has been since that sub appearance vs Man City - he must be enjoying the regular football too much to not want to make it permanent. Plus he's out of contract in the summer (which I hadn't realised) - although it'd still go to a tribunal with whichever club, wouldn't it? .. If we offer him equal terms to what he's getting currently.

It's a shame, but hopefully we can stick in a buy-back clause, or at least a hefty sell-on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From what I know, I suspect this one will go ahead, unfortunately for us.

Good luck to Steve Cook, whether he stays or goes...he's a very good player and a nice lad who deserves every success.

I agree with all this.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There was a game earlier this season (Ipswich?), when Dunk was banned and everyone assumed Cook would start after his performance against Liverpool. But Gus picked Vincelot instead. I imagine Cook has wanted to leave to get first-team football ever since then.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I wonder if this has anything to do with the story from yesterday about us going into the transfer market in January? We know that the club are trying to balance the books so maybe the fee, although seeming small, is what we need to make up the purchase price.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Cook imo is the weakest out of our "new batch" of CB's. Dunk is already a good champ player who will be sold on for a decent fee, Hall is younger and looks just as impressive (admittedly against weaker opposition) Vickers also looks VERY good and is much younger. There's also another lad whose name I cant remember (cooper?) who also looks decent. If we were to lose one I would much rather it would be Cook than any others as he is already the oldest and hasn't proven much yet, despite playing well against Liverpool. Although in a perfect world I wouldn't want to lose any of them but if we need the cash to strengthen other positions or to let him play 1st team football then so be it.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I don't get this at all. His first significant run of first team football and he's getting rave reviews and already looking a star at League 1 level. What could he be in a years time.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Given that he is out of contract at the end of the season £150k plus a sell on percentage would seem to be good business. His game currently would seem to be at a lower level to what we are aspiring to and he is just not going to get game time here.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Given that he is out of contract at the end of the season £150k plus a sell on percentage would seem to be good business. His game currently would seem to be at a lower level to what we are aspiring to and he is just not going to get game time here.
Agree with this. I'm happy we are even getting a fee for a player who hasn't hardly featured for us and probably not likely to.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I don't know about most people posting here (although I suspect its the same apart from the odd anorak who goes to reserve games), but I think I have only seen Cook play 3/4 times - Man City, Liverpool and a couple of SSC finals. Whilst he has looked quite good, presumably Gus has seen a lot more of him, and obviously doesn't feel like he is going to make an immediate impact. I don't think realistically, unless you are Man United etc, you can keep a player on the books without playing him for how good he might become in 1/2 years time - waste of wages and unfair on the player.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
would be a shame to see him go without an extended run in the first team, but would begrudgingly understand it as a good move for all concerned with the contract situation

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
He said on Facebook yesterday that he is looking at buying a house, possibly in hastings. Hope this blows this rumor out the water.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Houses are investments though, doesn't mean he'd live in it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He said on Facebook yesterday that he is looking at buying a house, possibly in hastings. Hope this blows this rumor out the water.
He's a Hastings lad, thats why he'd probably buy here. If anything, it would help validate the rumour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here