Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Cook

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think 150K is about right, the key is the sell on %. Remember we bought Greer for £300K, at the moment SC has potential but has no proven track record. His value would go up if he had a regular first team place but Gus obviously believes that he is not experienced/good enough.

Relative to Dunk? He'd played only a few games (indeed as he has now) and figures in the£M's are being thrown about. If Dunk went and Cook came in he could be pushing a similar value at end of season. Not sure where the £150K came from but it's daft for a youngster with potential and from a club with very definite ambition. The comparison to Greer is just wrong

I also have to believe that if this rumour is true then that's the end of the speculation on Dunk moving on. With no cover for Greer/AEA that'd be madness

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I think 150K is about right, the key is the sell on %. Remember we bought Greer for £300K, at the moment SC has potential but has no proven track record. His value would go up if he had a regular first team place but Gus obviously believes that he is not experienced/good enough.

What is £150k in football transfer terms today? Absolutely nothing. Why don't we just go the whole hog and pay them to take him off our hands?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Relative to Dunk? He'd played only a few games (indeed as he has now) and figures in the£M's are being thrown about. If Dunk went and Cook came in he could be pushing a similar value at end of season. Not sure where the £150K came from but it's daft for a youngster with potential and from a club with very definite ambition. The comparison to Greer is just wrong

I also have to believe that if this rumour is true then that's the end of the speculation on Dunk moving on. With no cover for Greer/AEA that'd be madness

But, as we all know, Gus is inclined to the occasional bout of madness.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Sell on fee, or a first option on buying him back. That would be good business, but it it is a bit strange as Gus has talked positively about him and like the loan is for first team experience which will benefit him. El-Abd's return pushes him down the pecking order but with all the possible suspensions hanging over defenders maybe we should wait a couple of weeks if we are going to sell...

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
On the other side of the coin, the next bunch of centre backs coming through the youth system look impressive (Vickers, Cooper, Hall), El Abd is back and we can always buy some one else if needs be...

Seems strange he could be off, but realistically, he may only play against Wrexham with us for the rest of the season. Maybe 2 or 3 games at most, whereas at Bournemouth he can play at a decent standard every week.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If we sell him it doesn't neccessarily mean we want to. Maybe he doesn't want to remain a back up player here, though rated, and wants to start playing regular first team football? There's no reason to think that it's Gus' decision to sell him, there's probably more to it than that.

Good luck to Cook if he does leave.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Some fans think that because we are in the championship all the players are suddenly worth millions - SC has played for us 5 times. If we go back 2 yrs and we bought a 20yr with few appearences for 150K I think most people would have thought it was a gamble. Yes he may be very good, although more likely he will be a good league 1 player. We are now a championship team who need experience and quality. His value will only increase if he is playing regularly and it is obvious he is not going to play regularly. I would like to keep him but maybe just maybe he would like to play first team football.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yep, thats true, wouldn't suprise me at all if it was Cook pushing for a move now he's getting regular first team football. Good luck to him if it does indeed happen.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Some fans think that because we are in the championship all the players are suddenly worth millions - SC has played for us 5 times. If we go back 2 yrs and we bought a 20yr with few appearences for 150K I think most people would have thought it was a gamble. Yes he may be very good, although more likely he will be a good league 1 player. We are now a championship team who need experience and quality. His value will only increase if he is playing regularly and it is obvious he is not going to play regularly. I would like to keep him but maybe just maybe he would like to play first team football.

I'm not one of those ... my argument is about his (quite obvious) potential .. also clubs in L1 don't buy 20year olds with 5 appearances for £150K but he's already proved himself at B'Muff. Prem clubs do pay £M's for young talent with very few appearances and I thought it would be good business for us if Dunk went that way - plus Gus has said before he wouldn't want to stand in the way of a player wanting a move to the Prem.

Maybe Cook does want out to play 1st team but I'm not sure he would be driving this move. He knows he's on the fringes here and the loan out could be just another part of building him towards a reg place. I can't see how the choice makes sense, partic with the speculation around Dunk. Dropping into L1 (maybe even L2) and trying to make an impression in what is a pretty poor team is a much bigger gamble than staying here I'd have thought.

Anyway off to pub .. Happy Xmas

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Don't do it Gus/Tony - Bennett going for £1m was an absolute joke, losing Murray was careless, this could prove to be mistake number three.

Short memory, Kuipers was the first...Cook had 4 consecutive league clean sheets inc away to Huddersfield, good job new footy director is here in a week

What is £150k in football transfer terms today? Absolutely nothing. Why don't we just go the whole hog and pay them to take him off our hands?

Brighton will have invested that much in the lad already, to have had him trained and waged for these years.
150 is peanuts, unless we could do something more useful with the money and his place in the dressing room

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Maybe be a great move for Cook but a crap one for the Albion. Develope youth and then let them go without seeing thier full potential pointless, who will be next Caskey-Forster, we really do need to blood the youth and stop investing in average players from Division One.

We need to be realistic we are still a selling club and the better players use the club as a stepping stone to better things.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We need to think what is best for Cooky. Bournemouth are offering a deal until the end of the 2014/2015 season whereas he is out of contract here next June. If he is not in Gus's plans he'll be scrapping around for a new club pre season if he doesn't go in January. £150k plus a decent sell on clause is better than nothing by keeping him here for the last 6 months of his contract.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I have to agree with most of the people on this thread.

I have no problem with players wanting to go to clubs that are in a higher league like Bennett and Crofts etc. In the event of Dunk going the same way I would like to see the likes of Cook get a chance. Keeping Cook as reserve behind El-Abd and Greer is surely better so we can spend money on other more pressing areas of the pitch.

What I don't understand with Gus is why is he dragging out his 38 year old assistant manager to play when we have a talented Development Squad. Some of those guys have been at the club for 18 months and not had a look in. You have to ask 'what is the point' of it if he is never going to use them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here