Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Bruce Said That This Man RAN The Show

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Fair play to all the albion players but the sunderland players were using it for fitness and trying not to get injured, just like albion were doing against burgess hill

... whereas our boys were not using it for fitness, didn't care if they got injured, and looked upon it as our 'Cup Final' for the season?

Some people will always look for the dark side ..... :facepalm: :down: :nono:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Loved Navarro from an early stage and so am glad he's getting the recognition he deserves. Really looking forward to seeing Kish and Spaz play too. Will be a great trio, although maybe lacking in goals. Just hoping Bruce doesn't come in with a multi million pound offer to try and take our Alan away

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Calm down! The name came about when he was fat. Now we all recognise what an important player he is. I will continue to call him Fat Nav, not because I think he is rubbish but because I like the name. You were one of many on here who thought he was crap to begin with, so stop with all this Navarro is my favourite player anyone who disagrees is a 'nuptie'(?) nonsense.

My first post about Navarro was this, actually:
A few things... - North Stand Chat

So not sure you've come to the conclusion I thought he was crap. Thanks thought for making an inaccurate assumption on the grounds that I'm usually negative. :thumbsup:

I agree with these things.

I do actually think he became a bit overrated by the end of the season though. :lol: People went from one extreme to the other, probably because he was so unbelievably dire to start with that once he was playing quite well it seemed much better than it was.

Agree with this - just like Butters, people seemed to go overboard with praise for him simply because they felt bad for slating him so much and bneing proved wrong.

He ran the midfield in the first half against Villa in the FA cup too.

The game that seemed to turn the majority - he had a blinder, and everyone except the Sunday Mirror seemed to notice.

Hopefully he'll have another good season. For all the slating he got, Oatway was a valuable part of the team that won 3 promotions, and I see Navarro as a pretty bloody similar sort of player (with a better range of long passing)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
My first post about Navarro was this, actually:
A few things... - North Stand Chat

So not sure you've come to the conclusion I thought he was crap. Thanks thought for making an inaccurate assumption on the grounds that I'm usually negative. :thumbsup:

Tell you what then, I'll apologise for presuming you thought Navarro was crap when the vast majority of Brighton fans did. If you apologise for labeling other people as numpties because of a harmless nickname. You can't have it both ways.

For someone with such strong opinions you really are a sensitive soul aren't you. :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Tell you what then, I'll apologise for presuming you thought Navarro was crap when the vast majority of Brighton fans did. If you apologise for labeling other people as numpties because of a harmless nickname. You can't have it both ways.

For someone with such strong opinions you really are a sensitive soul aren't you. :thumbsup:

1) Okedokey - apologies, although I've received plenty of abuse in the past for giving players derogatory nicknames (although I've yet to be proved wrong about them), so I guess I assumed it was a given!
2) Yep.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
After one of the shittest starts i've ever seen by a player, he's done a lot to turn his game around. I slated him during this period, and thought he was SHIT.

I think he's great now :bowdown: lets hope for a repeat of last season minus the poor start.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could his slow start be put down to last years pre season training and him not being 100% fit and he has improved this aspect since Gus has been here and as a resujt this has helped his game.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I can remember Jeff Minton being like this.He was bloody dreadful when he first arrived but the year we stayed up at Hereford Minton was immense.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So this year I feel your adopted player should be Holroyd. He polarises opinion more on NSC than giving Leon a trial, those that think Holroyd is pony and those that think he will come good.

I generally stick up for Holroyd but I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick. I don't know if he'll come good, I'd say it's less than 50/50 at the moment. I just think I've seen enough from him to think that if he improves cirtain parts of his game in the next 3-4 months he could be a good player.

To me it's a bit shit to decide that someone is rubbish and has no chance of improving after less than 10 professional games when he's stepped up from non-league. If he still hasn't looked like scoring by christmas then I'll agree that he's not going to make it. I still won't abuse him though, that's reserved for people who aren't putting the effort in.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I generally stick up for Holroyd but I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick. I don't know if he'll come good, I'd say it's less than 50/50 at the moment. I just think I've seen enough from him to think that if he improves cirtain parts of his game in the next 3-4 months he could be a good player.

To me it's a bit shit to decide that someone is rubbish and has no chance of improving after less than 10 professional games when he's stepped up from non-league. If he still hasn't looked like scoring by christmas then I'll agree that he's not going to make it. I still won't abuse him though, that's reserved for people who aren't putting the effort in.

Agree absolutely.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Completely correct. I think I'm going to adopt Holroyd this season, there is a quality player in there, and he could do with some fans actually getting behind him.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Bruce was being interviewed on Talksport this morning.
Sadly I arrived at work and had to leave the vehicle before I could hear the whole thing. Dunno if he mentioned our game or not.

Easy,

Wasn't it Navarro that El-Abd picked out as the best ball-player at the club. Or something like that.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I'll echo many people's views on here and say I though he was absolutely rubbish for the first two or three months of last season. He has changed my mind now though. It's not because he has any fantastic natural ability; it's the way he plays that enables him to be so effective at this level. How many League One midfielders so you see ALWAYS looking to collect the ball off the back four?

The way Gus wants to play lends itself to Navarro's style. Playing in a three-man midfield also aids him as he is able to sit deep and is under no pressure to go forward at all, which he would be if we only played two in the middle.

It would seem that most people would now have him in their starting 11, which is testament to his attitude and performances over the last nine or so months.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
there is a difference between being rubbish and being unfit. Navarro was clearly not fit beginning of last season having missed most of pre-season and once he started to get a few games under his belt and the fitness came you could see why he was an important member of the MK dons team that did well the season before.
Everyone is so quick to judge a player without actually looking at him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here