Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Dobbie

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Well you're paying (according to most people) 350k plus the wages he was on whilst with us equalling 850k. This means his wages must have been 500k. Not sure how true this can be though as he was only with us 5 months (31st August - 31st January). That makes it 25k a week

Don't forget he has officially been our player since his loan ended before the play-off's, and will be till July 1st. So would need to include May & June in those figures. I doubt Palace are still paying his wages.

15k * 32 weeks (ish)... = £500,000ish.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't forget he has officially been our player since his loan ended before the play-off's, and will be till July 1st. So would need to include May & June in those figures. I doubt Palace are still paying his wages.

15k * 32 weeks (ish)... = £500,000ish.

We would have no doubt paid him a signing on fee, that we wanted to recoup, too.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Oh look the Zaha factor is creeping into their promotion now. The acknowledged figure for promotion of approx. £120 mill, is now £160mill.

Yep,I noticed that too, anyone would think they already have that money. Chances are they have the first payment of premiership money which will cover bonuses and costs associated with promotion, a few new players and wages etc. they will probably have to borrow against future payments to keep going and if they develop Selhurst as they plan then I can't see them in profit or even breaking even, I hope they fail miserably and waste all their money on crap transfers, agents and other crap. The money will only be useful to them once they are relegated so bizarrely staying up will actually cost them more.

I have to say I think we would have been in a similar position had we been promoted and don't think promotion is the golden egg it is portrayed to be for anything other than the top 12 clubs in the PL.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Yep,I noticed that too, anyone would think they already have that money. Chances are they have the first payment of premiership money which will cover bonuses and costs associated with promotion, a few new players and wages etc. they will probably have to borrow against future payments to keep going and if they develop Selhurst as they plan then I can't see them in profit or even breaking even, I hope they fail miserably and waste all their money on crap transfers, agents and other crap. The money will only be useful to them once they are relegated so bizarrely staying up will actually cost them more.

I have to say I think we would have been in a similar position had we been promoted and don't think promotion is the golden egg it is portrayed to be for anything other than the top 12 clubs in the PL.

Eurosport wrote about just this recently

What is the real cost of promotion?
By Eurosport | World of Sport – Wed, May 29, 2013 18:00 BST

LOANS

Very few, if any clubs are free from debt. Hence the success of Palace, Hull and Cardiff means that a percentage of monies earned will go straight to their creditors, thus accounting for in some cases a hefty chunk of the reward.

The estimated £120 million jackpot is not there all in one go either. It should be noted that within that figure are four years of parachute payments if relegated after one season, so a more realistic estimate of between £60 and £70 million seems more accurate.

So how do you strike a fine balance? Success breeds success and as a result the long term future does seem brighter – all three clubs will be able to increase their ticket prices and sales of merchandise etc will doubtless be a lot more than in the Championship. However there is a downside – whereas in the Championship a team plays 23 home fixtures (excluding Cup matches), in the Premier League it’s only 19 home games which equates to a 17.5% reduction.

The pitfalls of over-spending in order to sustain Premier League status are legendary - no less than nine clubs have gone into administration within five years of being relegated from the top flight. The Chairmen of Palace, Hull and Cardiff have a huge responsibility to the fans as well as the local community to invest shrewdly - failure to do so and the spectre of another Portsmouth looms large on the horizon

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

LOANS

Very few, if any clubs are free from debt. Hence the success of Palace, Hull and Cardiff means that a percentage of monies earned will go straight to their creditors, thus accounting for in some cases a hefty chunk of the reward.

The estimated £120 million jackpot is not there all in one go either. It should be noted that within that figure are four years of parachute payments if relegated after one season, so a more realistic estimate of between £60 and £70 million seems more accurate.

So how do you strike a fine balance? Success breeds success and as a result the long term future does seem brighter – all three clubs will be able to increase their ticket prices and sales of merchandise etc will doubtless be a lot more than in the Championship. However there is a downside – whereas in the Championship a team plays 23 home fixtures (excluding Cup matches), in the Premier League it’s only 19 home games which equates to a 17.5% reduction.

The pitfalls of over-spending in order to sustain Premier League status are legendary - no less than nine clubs have gone into administration within five years of being relegated from the top flight. The Chairmen of Palace, Hull and Cardiff have a huge responsibility to the fans as well as the local community to invest shrewdly - failure to do so and the spectre of another Portsmouth looms large on the horizon

We have no debt, the four owners make up the short full every season.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

LOANS

£60-70m next season isn't too bad , better than losing £8.5 m .

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
No But you have the worst ground that needs a lot of money spent on it, unlike Cardiff and Hull.

That's why getting promoted was vital for the re-development of Selhurst.
With FFP kicking in next season in the championship, we couldn't have timed it better.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013

LOANS

There is nothing I hate more than a £120m windfall. Bloody Premiership eh?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I agree with this. It's shit. Dull league where you know roughly where most clubs will finish before it starts, and only a handful have any chance of winning it. Compare that to the championship - loads of teams were potential champions, and we went up having been relegation favourites. Any team could beat any team. Way way better league.

I'm still glad we went up, as the money will help secure us for many years and hopefully see us start to develop Selhurst, but I wish the Premier League was scrapped, we had one football league, and the money was shared more fairly with the lower league clubs.

Literally the most sensible post on here for weeks, if not months. And it's from one of THEM.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The trouble with playing in the Premiershit is that it's a bloody expensive league to compete in. Someone once compared it to moving to London from up country to work - sure the money's much better but it's a bloody expensive place to live and most of your additional salary is spent on increased living xpenses. I seriously wish Palace all the best for next year but, same as it would've been for us, the promised land it ain't.

is it Vince Hilaire's Afro from BBS? I remember his ridiculous 'humorous' chuntering on about Dunk over there boring all and sundry.

You are correct about VinceHilairesArso - the very same who supports Palace all the way from America - so like most of them he doesn't live anywhere near the team he supports and never sees them. Yet to see one who lives within a 5 mile radius of Shithurst - They are priceless aren't they? :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here