Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Dobbie

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
"Expected to be", "around", "in the region of". Thanks. That's conclusive.

Alternatively, you could look at this piece on Twentyfour7 Football, the magazine owned by Darragh Macanthony, the Peterborough Chairman. You'd think HIS sources on this would be quite good, wouldn't you?

http://twentyfour7football.com/reports-crystal-palace-agree-6m-gayle-deal-11375

You really think our prudent board would pay £6 million for a player who has had one good season in the Championship? Come on Hans! I know you are clinging onto every little thing you possibly can after the humilating defeat on 13/05/13 and our subsequent promotion to the best league in the world, but come on mate, be realistic! Of course Macantoney(no direct quotes by the way!) will talk up the price, he wants to appease the Posh fans who are gutted they are selling their star man. Dom Fifield is a well respected journo who has got numerous Palace realted stories spot on in the past so happy to believe him.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Or....

One was playing for a side who abandon all semblance of tactics and just swarm forward all the time, creating hundreds of chances (but conceding just as many), and the other as a lone striker in a team that created very few. And to say he played for a top 4 team is a bit daft - we were well short of that until he slotted in.

Funny how you're the next Barcaloana when you want to be but now for the sake of your arguement you're a dull, one chance a match outfit!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You really think our prudent board would pay £6 million for a player who has had one good season in the Championship?

They are paying almost a million for Dobbie, so frankly, anything is possible.

The fee will probably by 'undisclosed' anyway so we'll never know. What it is. Even at the £3m your chap is claiming, it's still a lot of money for a kid who has only been playing proper football for a year.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Funny how you're the next Barcaloana when you want to be but now for the sake of your arguement you're a dull, one chance a match outfit!

I never said we were dull. The fact that our patient, possession football, was pretty to watch, but often failed to create clear cut chances, is not exactly a secret.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You really think our prudent board would pay £6 million for a player who has had one good season in the Championship? Come on Hans! I know you are clinging onto every little thing you possibly can after the humilating defeat on 13/05/13 and our subsequent promotion to the best league in the world, but come on mate, be realistic! Of course Macantoney(no direct quotes by the way!) will talk up the price, he wants to appease the Posh fans who are gutted they are selling their star man. Dom Firfield is a journo who has got numerous Palace realted stories spot on in the past so happy to believe him.

Also bear in mind they were quoting figures of £8-9 m for him , so I think we've got ourselfs a good deal .

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
So palace sign a young unproven striker with lots of potential for a modest fee by PL standards, what's the big deal here as I'm failing to spot it?

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
I never said we were dull. The fact that our patient, possession football, was pretty to watch, but often failed to create clear cut chances, is not exactly a secret.

Was it pretty? It was fairly dull pointless possession in your own half for the most part. Not great for the neutral.

Oscar sounds more attacking in his philosophy.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
They are paying almost a million for Dobbie, so frankly, anything is possible.

The fee will probably by 'undisclosed' anyway so we'll never know. What it is. Even at the £3m your chap is claiming, it's still a lot of money for a kid who has only been playing proper football for a year.
Why does it bother you so what we pay for players ? ( cue creditors / taxman jibe )

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
So palace sign a young unproven striker with lots of potential for a modest fee by PL standards, what's the big deal here as I'm failing to spot it?

Correct it's no big deal .

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013

The big deal is that we're Palace, so some Brighton fans are unable to be objective. Equally some Palace feel a need to rubbish every Brighton player.

It can get tedious.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why does it bother you so what we pay for players ? ( cue creditors / taxman jibe )

It doesn't. I just enjoy arguing.

Anyway. Why does it bother you what bothers me? You could always fu.ck off, from this BRIGHTON site?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was it pretty? It was fairly dull pointless possession in your own half for the most part. Not great for the neutral.

Oscar sounds more attacking in his philosophy.

When it worked it was spectacular. Witness St.Pats day for a good example. When it didn't, it was frustrating.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Forget the fact that Dwight Gayle is going to Palace, I would have been happy to have him here, I thought he looked good for Boro last season. IF the price is around 3m then that could be a good deal.

Indeed, if it wad £3m to a championship it may represent a good deal, but £4m plus in the Premier League indicates a fair risk.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Or....

One was playing for a side who abandon all semblance of tactics and just swarm forward all the time, creating hundreds of chances (but conceding just as many), and the other as a lone striker in a team that created very few. And to say he played for a top 4 team is a bit daft - we were well short of that until he slotted in.

Or, it's entirely feasible that both will turn out to be good signings with resale value. McAnthony and Fry are notorious big mouth self publicists whose wagon you can hitch yourself to if you wish but personally I take anything that comes out of their mouths with a pinch of salt.

I think it's a shame for Brighton that they bought CMS before Ulloa. I prefer Gayle and Murray for what I believe has been less financial outlay.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Tell you what, why don't you two just piss off to your own message board and talk about it amongst yourselves on there.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Correct it's no big deal .

That's what I thought, I fully expect palace will sign some more players probably for similar fees or more, I would hope so if I was a palace fan or it could be embarrassing this season. Obviously I hope it will be embarrassing whoever you sign.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

You've unwittingly summed it up. The fact is, they've got all this new money burning a hole in their pocket, and we are curious to see how we'll they spend it. Up to £6m for a kid with one full season of professional football behind him, suggests they may not be as prudent as you'd hope. The very fact you call this 'modest' says everything really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here