Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Dobbie

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
His championship record is equivalent to Ashley Barnes, and he was phenomenal in the lower leagues = 29 goals for Bishop's Stortford in the Conference North. So yes, highly exciting.

His Championship record is better than CMS's was when you signed him. I seem to recall all of you being rather excited, despite the fact that CMS had looked as if he couldn't cut it in the Championship. Yet we look to sign a young, highly thought of and exciting player who looked excellent in the Championship and apparently he's already shit.

I don't think we'll get him. Looks like its been leaked by Peterborough to TalkSport and it wouldn't surprise me to see another club come in and nab him. Fulham and Villa have been sniffing around, so if we haven't wrapped it up we might well get gazzumped.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Personnally I really don't care who Palace sign, but as this board is now Palace Stand Chat, I suppose we have to suffer constants updates on every new footballing 'God' who joins the Jesters.

Which is Dobbie, in 3 days :lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
His Championship record is better than CMS's was when you signed him. I seem to recall all of you being rather excited, despite the fact that CMS had looked as if he couldn't cut it in the Championship. Yet we look to sign a young, highly thought of and exciting player who looked excellent in the Championship and apparently he's already shit.

I don't think we'll get him. Looks like its been leaked by Peterborough to TalkSport and it wouldn't surprise me to see another club come in and nab him. Fulham and Villa have been sniffing around, so if we haven't wrapped it up we might well get gazzumped.

CMS scored 11 goals during his first season in the championship for Peterborough, compared to 13 for Gayle and 14 for Barnes. Gayle rumoured £3-4 m, CMS £2.5m, and I think its fair to say we overpaid for him :shrug: your point?

Banned
May 19, 2013
CMS scored 11 goals during his first season in the championship for Peterborough, compared to 13 for Gayle and 14 for Barnes. Gayle rumoured £3-4 m, CMS £2.5m, and I think its fair to say we overpaid for him :shrug: your point?

Yes, 11 goals in 47 appearances. He looked out of his depth, as many Palace fans pointed out when you signed him. Gayle scored 13 goals in 29 appearances and has looked electric. Can he make the step up to the Prem? I've no idea. But as was explained to me when you appointed the inexperienced Oscar, it looks like a exciting risk worth taking.

The only place a fee of £4m has appeared so far is here, the same place that seems to think cash strapped Palace offered Murray a gazillion a week to come to Palace. So I think I'll wait to see what's announced.

Banned
May 19, 2013
And what on earth are you on about with Barnes? His first three Championship seasons saw him score 2 goals over 25 games?

His next "prolific" season saw him score 14 over the course of 50 matches? Then 9 goals in 37 last year.

He's a league one striker at best.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And what on earth are you on about with Barnes? His first three Championship seasons saw him score 2 goals over 25 games?

His next "prolific" season saw him score 14 over the course of 50 matches? Then 9 goals in 37 last year.

Wrong. He is more than up to this league IMO. Most of the last two seasons he has been played more in a defensive midfield role occasionally linking with our powder puff forwards.. Really hope he gets to play upfront this season. Depends if Oscar agrees with you, and it has to be said a fair number of Albion fans, or whether he sees what I and quite a few others see in him. Fwiw he has looked best when played up front with GM, shame that Gus's biggest mistake in the whole time he was here was releasing GM and replacing him with CMS, I'd love to have seen that partnership in the Championship.

The improvement in his ball control and laying off cute balls has been pretty impressive IMO. Should get a run out with Ulloa in preseason, hope it works for them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Barnes has only played 3 Championship seasons, one with Plymouth and two with us. If you're going to quote 37 games last season, which includes cup games, then include his cup goals.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wrong. He is more than up to this league IMO. Most of the last two seasons he has been played more in a defensive midfield role occasionally linking with our powder puff forwards.. Really hope he gets to play upfront this season. Depends if Oscar agrees with you, and it has to be said a fair number of Albion fans, or whether he sees what I and quite a few others see in him. Fwiw he has looked best when played up front with GM, shame that Gus's biggest mistake in the whole time he was here was releasing GM and replacing him with CMS, I'd love to have seen that partnership in the Championship.

The improvement in his ball control and laying off cute balls has been pretty impressive IMO. Should get a run out with Ulloa in preseason, hope it works for them.

Gus didn't release GM, he offered him a contract. Palace did pay him gazillions more than us and offered him a longer contract. And for Psalm 56:5's benefit, that isn't just on Nsc. It was reported in the press that Murray was getting 70% more wages at Palace than he was getting with us.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gus didn't release GM, he offered him a contract. Palace did pay him gazillions more than us and offered him a longer contract. And for Psalm 56:5's benefit, that isn't just on Nsc. It was reported in the press that Murray was getting 70% more wages at Palace than he was getting with us.

So signing CMS rather than paying GM more money was not a shit move then?

And before you say hindsight is a great thing, if you can be arsed to trawl back I have always said it was a mistake to let him go, right from the 1st musings of him going to Palace

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

the battle of the soccerbase stats :lolol:

Gayle scored a load on loan and then 6 in 20 after signing permanently. He may well be better than Barnes, but not so much better than to justify the massive fee. Original point stands, Barnes 14 goals as a 22-yr old in first proper season in the champ (more games, but then he played as a defensive winger for half the season), Gayle 13 goals as a 22-yr old in first season in the champ.

If the fee is wrong, and you've got him for 500k, then good business I'm sure :thumbsup: Maybe he's got potential, but Conference North to the Premier League via 29 games in a Championship relegation battle - well fair play to the lad if he does well.

Banned
May 19, 2013
Barnes has only played 3 Championship seasons, one with Plymouth and two with us. If you're going to quote 37 games last season, which includes cup games, then include his cup goals.

I did include his cup goals. Took it all from Wiki. If any of the information is incorrect i apologise, but it wasn't intentional

RCPZeg5.png

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Can't believe palace knob jockeys are really trying to compare a 22 yr old with a manager who's just got a team into the champions league :lol::lol::lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I did include his cup goals. Took it all from Wiki. If any of the information is incorrect i apologise, but it wasn't intentional

Took it from Wiki!! Hasn't anybody told you that Wiki is as accurate as the last person that posted on it.

Banned
May 19, 2013
Took it from Wiki!! Hasn't anybody told you that Wiki is as accurate as the last person that posted on it.

Looking at soccer base he didn't score 9 goals in 37 appearances. It was 9 goals in 39. Might be the playoff games added? What goals do you think are missing, because that lists cup matches too?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Stop it, just all stop it!!

Palace buying Dobbie, works well with Hollaway, did not work out at BHA. good luck to him.

Oscar, Brighton taking a punt on a little know manager (in the UK), and good luck to them.

Gayle, Palace taking a punt on a little known player, and good luck to them.

Why all the sillyness???

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Stop it, just all stop it!!

Palace buying Dobbie, works well with Hollaway, did not work out at BHA. good luck to him.

Oscar, Brighton taking a punt on a little know manager (in the UK), and good luck to them.

Gayle, Palace taking a punt on a little known player, and good luck to them.

Why all the sillyness???

Agreed apart from any of the good luck comments about Palace

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looking at soccer base he didn't score 9 goals in 37 appearances. It was 9 goals in 39. Might be the playoff games added? What goals do you think are missing, because that lists cup matches too?

Looking at our own website, which I would trust more than any external site, it was 11 in 37. 9 league goals and 2 cup goals.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It's £3 million as confirmed on our boards by a reliable poster. If you were signing him you'd literally be creaming your pants and saying he's quality, admit it! Typical sour grapes.

Listen you slice, just because tool on BBS has said it's £3m it certainly doesn't make it a fact, you lot have a history of claiming to have sold players for a lot more than you did, and buying them for a lot less too. Barry Fry said he's never had so much interest in one of his players, seeing as you just won a large amount of money he's not going to let him go on the cheap is he.
Nobody here has got sour grapes, you've just got the hump cos you've signed a totally unproven player, and it's in your nature to make out he's destined for Barcelona.

I don't normally get involved in these crap threads but I just knew these tools would turn up and cillectively claim he's the next big thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here