Votes: 29 41.4%
  • I'd let them choose

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I listened to a debate about schooling methods on the radio a year or so ago. Scandinavian schools always do really well and one of the speakers on this show said that he met the head of education of one of these such countries in a lift at a conference. He said to him 'I have 30 seconds so can you tell me one thing about what makes your system better please.' Scando head simply replied 'take schooling out of the control of government and into the hands of education experts. It's too important to have politicians meddling with it.'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't know whether to agree/disagree with you as doesn't seem relevant to my post or the one I was replying to?:smile: :albion2:

It was supposed to be a joke. Merry Prankster mentioned earlier he was the recipient of a private education. And you commented that he was eloquent. My non-serious reply was to suggest this is proof that private is better.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As an aside I listened to a debate about schooling methods on the radio a year or so ago. Scandinavian schools always do really well and one of the speakers on this show said that he met the head of education of one of these such countries in a lift at a conference. He said to him 'I have 30 seconds so can you tell me one thing about what makes your system better please.' Scando head simply replied 'take schooling out of the control of government and into the hands of education experts. It's too important to have politicians meddling with it.'

The UK government has used this as its justification for the Free School system, with a twist.

They've taken it out of the hands of local politicians and placed it under the responsibility of either parents or private business - either of whom, the government says, can be considered education experts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The UK government has used this as its justification for the Free School system, with a twist.

They've taken it out of the hands of local politicians and placed it under the responsibility of either parents or private business - either of whom, the government says, can be considered education experts.

I can see where you're coming from but it's still the government who decide on the manner of schooling i.e. free schools, academies etc.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I can see where you're coming from but it's still the government who decide on the manner of schooling i.e. free schools, academies etc.

It is, but educational excellence is no longer the primary driver of Free School status - it's a robust business plan.

My better half fell foul of this when she tried placing her school in the state sector in 2010. She ticked all the boxes, and was getting favourable encouragement from the government, when they, without warning, changed the rules and every application across the country, including hers, was binned, and she had to start again. It cost her about £8,000 which she could not re-claim.

Point is, you can be an not particularly great school (Ofsted won't be going into Free Schools), but as long as you have the money there, the school will remain open.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I went to state school but my two children currently go to a private school. The benefit they are getting from class sizes of 14/15 with at least two staff will give them a sound start before they go to state senior school. That's not a pop at the state schools - it would never be practical to have such small class sizes.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it's unfair that "wealthy" parents can get their children a "better" education. Firstly I'm not wealthy - I choose to not have other things to be able to afford it. Secondly, you can use that argument for many things - I'd like to be able to go private for my health requirements. I can't afford to so is it unfair that potentially wealthy people can access better health services ? I work hard and want to support my children ( as any decent parent would ) and if I can give them a solid start to their education then I will. I don't see it as any different to say parents giving their children a load of cash to get on to the housing ladder.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
All private schools should be closed down and turned into hostels for asylum seekers, the homeless and unmarried mothers. The 'problems' in state schools would soon get sorted out if the Great and the Good had to send their kids to the same places as (most of) the rest of us.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
It was supposed to be a joke. Merry Prankster mentioned earlier he was the recipient of a private education. And you commented that he was eloquent. My non-serious reply was to suggest this is proof that private is better.
aaah - over me ead son, I went to a state school punk: :albion2:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
All private schools should be closed down and turned into hostels for asylum seekers, the homeless and unmarried mothers. The 'problems' in state schools would soon get sorted out if the Great and the Good had to send their kids to the same places as (most of) the rest of us.[/QUOTE] can't disagree with this bit :albion2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All private schools should be closed down and turned into hostels for asylum seekers, the homeless and unmarried mothers. The 'problems' in state schools would soon get sorted out if the Great and the Good had to send their kids to the same places as (most of) the rest of us.

That's a very idealistic way of thinking. Generally, kids drop to the lowest common denominator.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Something that might be of interest regards public schooling. The final salary pensions that the vast majority of public school teachers receive is funded in the same way as state school teachers - tax payer. So in affect we are all subsidising the public school system as the public schools would have very real problems funding such a scheme.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
@Herr Tubthumber has this right. It is down to the parents to ensure that their children get as much out of whatever education they choose. I know plenty of f*** ups that when to private school as many as I know that went to state school.

What I do believe is that private schools give you is a more "rounded" education.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If you're willing, able and have supportive parents then you can get what you want from the majority of state schools in my opinion. I do get annoyed with the, at times, seemingly blanket trashing of state schools. To a degree they're only as good as the pupils in them and their parents. I went to Tideway. It has often been criticised but along with supportive and encouraging (and patient) parents the tools were there for me and I got the education I wanted.

I really do believe parents have an important part to play though.

And what Lady Gull said.

I have friends who are both university lecturers and were worried about sending their two children to a local school with a slightly dodgy reputation, but in the end both have done okay and are now at university themselves. In the end, genes determine how clever you are and parental support is the most important influence on how well you use what intelligence you've been given.

In Mrs Not Andy Naylor's experience, some parents (not all, or even the majority) send their kids to private schools because they don't have the time or inclination to give that support...

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The problem is usually the parents. A friend of my dad was a teacher in a rough school in Eastleigh and whenever he tried to discipline certain scrotes, the kid would text the parents who would be waiting outside at the end of the day ready to punch the teacher. :nono:
Thats what I find ridiculous , these morons will then complain that little Harrison or Mercedes is being picked on because of his aydee haiitch dee.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
As Danny Baker said on TV a few nights ago with Frank Skinner there isnt much difference because if public schools produced more intelligent people parliament would be full of geniuses........................................... we know the answer to that.

Trouble is,the ones that did not go to private schools are no better than those that did!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In Mrs Not Andy Naylor's experience, some parents (not all, or even the majority) send their kids to private schools because they don't have the time or inclination to give that support...

That might be the case with a very small number of parents but I can assure you the amount of homework I have to help with is horrendous. It would be a complete waste of money to send your child to private school and then not support them.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I think teachers who get trained by the state should have to repay the cost of their training from their own funds before they're allowed to work for a private schools, and private schools should all be stripped of their charitable status which is a blatant tax dodge (I mean, in what way are they charities? They're businesses, end of story). Although for me, that should only be a first step in doing away with the divisive, privilege-cementing concept altogether.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
i had a great time at my normal school. none of that pansy private shit!

... although i would send kids to private school if money was no object!

Pansy private shit!!I went to prep school and public school during the 50's and early 60's as a boarder.It was far from 'pansy', I can tell you and in many aspects was fairly brutal.Made some good friends tho' and I've always said that if I ever had the misfortune to end up prison,I know I could cope!
If private schools were like they were in my day,they would be shut down!Today they are civilised and offer fantastic opportunities to those fortunate enough to be able to go there.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
If parents have worked hard and earnt lots of money, why shouldnt they send their children to fee paying schools?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here