• Public school

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • I'd let them choose

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Do you really think state schools are that bad/to be avoided at all cost?
No, but where I am (central London) the local schools are pretty rough, or require you to be a regular churchgoer. I'm still considering moving out of town, though I need to finish my studies first.

Incidentally, we do have spare time - it just requires careful planning. One of my part-time jobs is mystery shopping, which pays for visits to places like Chessington, football and rugby matches, cinema etc. Just means very late nights, writing up all the reports!

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
... or because their education style of choice isn't available through the state system.

The state schools are clearly not up to the standard of private schools which is a failing. However my point is that the opportunity for a better education is not accessible for the overwhelming majority of students, primarily because of wealth.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
I think it's wrong that somebody should be afforded a better education just because their parents are wealthy.

That is correct ... so all we nead then is for governments to fund the state system in a manner which equals the private sector.
It's easy to grasp really,private schools have a lower teacher/pupil ratio so make the state system the same and then nobody would pay to send the kids privately.
That of course will not happen so private schools are the answer if you can afford the fees.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The state schools are clearly not up to the standard of private schools which is a failing. However my point is that the opportunity for a better education is not accessible for the overwhelming majority of students, primarily because of wealth.

I agree with your opinions that education shouldn't be better for those who are wealthy. But what would you do with your children, if you had the money?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
i'd love for there not to be an issue as the schools should be good enough in the first place. but thats fanciful. in reality, the option should include grammer schools for those who are brighter, but a generation of grammer school educated politicians and policy thinkers have decided thats not "fair".

Er, isn't that "grammar" schools?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I agree with your opinions that education shouldn't be better for those who are wealthy. But what would you do with your children, if you had the money?

State school, where teachers have to be properly trained. My wife has worked in a well-known local public school, and some of their senior staff, including one head of department, had no formal teacher training.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The highest-rated 'or best' schools are fee-paying schools. However, it doesn't follow that all fee-paying schools are superior to all state schools.

Many state schools offer an excellent education.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Private coaching is only available to those that can afford it. Therefore it is educational advantage to those with means to pay for it. You object to this. How is that irrelevant?

Err no it's not. Any stateschool worth the gum under it's desks runs maths classes aimed at helping those who struggle. Teachers also are willing to provide help. It's just whether the child is responsive.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ

I went through state education and am currently at a state college. However if I had the choice would I go private?

Probably yes as it is a higher level of education and will ultimately provide better opportunities in later life compared the majority available to state educated students. I don't agree with the morals of it though it is clearly better from a purely educational perspective.

Although it could be argued that a public school does not really provide a realistic representation of society in general and social skills when having to integrate with the 'real world' after schooling could be at a detriment.

D

Deleted member 18477

i had a great time at my normal school. none of that pansy private shit!

... although i would send kids to private school if money was no object!

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Private coaching is only available to those that can afford it. Therefore it is educational advantage to those with means to pay for it. You object to this. How is that irrelevant?

Its extra curricular, in the same vein as paying for private tennis lessons, my argument is that the high level teaching should be available to everyone and there shouldn't be a need to pay for extra. And if help is needed, as [MENTION=13980]KneeOn[/MENTION] said, it is there for students who require it and are willing. It just maybe isn't as good or thorough as a private lesson would be.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I went to private school - My kids go to state schools. One is now at BHASVIC doing 4 A levels and wants to go to Uni - my daughter is 7 and is very bright and is doing extremely well for her years.

My feeling is you can't buy brains - you either have it or you don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here