Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Georges Day

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's St Georges Day on Saturday,I will be going to my local to celebrate as they are putting a do on especially, but not many places are , why are we made to feel so guilty about our englishness ? Why are WE not allowed to feel proud of our country like the paddies etc ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I feel proud of being English and am far more likely to raise a toast to the fabled Turk St George who is our patron saint, than the inbred German getting married next weekend.

Cheers George. :cheers:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I was talking to a "paddie" on micks day this year and he wasnt proud of his country, but found it mildly ammusing that we all tink they are! In fact to quote him "Ireland is great for a week's holliday, but that's about it"

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm going to the 'St. George's day game' at Twickenham. I am planning to roar the might Bath to victory against them 'orrible wasps.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
was never even mentioned when i was a kid and you rarely saw a st georges cross. it all feels very forced to me. I am English and everyone round the world knows who the English are. Not knocking anyone who enjoys this new phenomenon but its hardly bonfire night or a proper English tradition.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
St Patricks day is a commercial push by the Black Stuff.

Plenty of stuff going on around London and the rest of the country without having to wear a Guinness wig or hat. I feel it is more a case of an imaginary guilt trip as opposed to being made feel guilty.

Who makes you feel guilty, Bushy?

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Oh goody. The annual "Why don't we celebrate / We're all banned from celebrating / You're racist if you celebrate....St George's Day" thread.

EDL mentioned within 7 posts, Daily Mail slagged off within 11 posts, right-winger banging on about St Paddy's Day within 4 posts, leftwinger banging on about patriotism being the last refuge of the scoundrel in umm...14 posts.

Off you go.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Oh goody. The annual "Why don't we celebrate / We're all banned from celebrating / You're racist if you celebrate....St George's Day" thread.

EDL mentioned within 7 posts, Daily Mail slagged off within 11 posts, right-winger banging on about St Paddy's Day within 4 posts, leftwinger banging on about patriotism being the last refuge of the scoundrel in umm...14 posts.

Off you go.

not forgetting the essential post listing all possible simplified responses in the thread with an air of weary superiority.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
St Patricks day is a commercial push by the Black Stuff.

Plenty of stuff going on around London and the rest of the country without having to wear a Guinness wig or hat. I feel it is more a case of an imaginary guilt trip as opposed to being made feel guilty.

Who makes you feel guilty, Bushy?

Spitfire are all over this new st georges day drink up like a cheap suit.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... leftwinger banging on about patriotism being the last refuge of the scoundrel in umm...14 posts.

Off you go.
Actually round about this time last year there was quite a good thread developing as to how you could be left wing and patriotic (a bit like Billy Bragg and George Orwell). Then the Nazi mods locked it and I stomped off NSC in a huff for five months.

But yeah, the annual St George's binfest, the NSC equivalent of the first cuckoo. The long summer evenings can't be far away.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I feel proud of being English and am far more likely to raise a toast to the fabled Turk St George who is our patron saint, than the inbred German getting married next weekend.

Cheers George. :cheers:

Genuine question - why is the Queen always described as German by anti-monarchists when she can trace her Britishness right back to beyond the late-19th century yet the same people are quick to defend first generation immigrants as quintessentially English as us white-trash Sussex yeomen?

And why does it always sound as if they mean the "German" bit as some sort of insult yet cry all sorts of blue murder about other racist epithets?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's St Georges Day on Saturday,I will be going to my local to celebrate as they are putting a do on especially, but not many places are , why are we made to feel so guilty about our englishness ? Why are WE not allowed to feel proud of our country like the paddies etc ?

You might think you're made to feel guilty. I don't feel guilty.

I'm celebrating my Englishness on Saturday with some sunshine, ale, football, conversation, happiness and conviviality. And will feel very proud to do so.

Incidentally, the first bash at the new stadium will be a belated St George's Day luncheon. Pleased to be involved in that too.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You might think you're made to feel guilty. I don't.

I'm celebrating my Englishness on Saturday with some sunshine, ale, football, conversation, happiness and conviviality. And will feel very proud to do so.

Incidentally, the first bash at the new stadium will be a belated St George's Day luncheon.
Made to feel guilty by the same sort of people who put the ban on baa baa black sheep and who insist on calling christmas "winterval"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here