Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spurs, why

What the HELL do people EXPECT if a team from this years Champions League isn't GOOD ENOUGH?

It would be a great choice. Brighton will still get a TOUCH of the ball (compared to if Barca etc played).

We get to see international quality players managed by (probably) the next England manager against one of Gus' old teams.

Gomes (brilliant to watch for comedy)
Bale (wanted by everyone)
Dawson/King/ Gallas all international centre halves.
Modric, VAN DER VAART, Lennon, Defoe,Crouch, Pienaar
+ Any new summer signings.

Seriously, some people need to get a reality check. The opening of Brighton's stadium is not the biggest puller to EVERY team in the world. Getting Spurs would be competitive yet still let us see some fantastic footballers.

Fair points, and all reasons why it will sell out (which I hope it does).

Still not going though. :flounce:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Was that aimed at me?

No.

If people want to see the Albion at the Amex in a friendly, they should go regardless of the opposition. You don't want to see them in a friendly full stop from what your post infers.

stonski

Jan 31, 2009
Cowfold
Why are Albion fans hoping it will be THFC in the big opening game ?. This is the club that caused the worst crowd scenes ever at the Goldstone and were involved in the infamous Saints match.

errr I think that was Chelsea, worst crowd sceanes, not the saints bit. Would much rather Spurs than Chelsea.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Was that aimed at me?

I want to see the Albion too. The friendly could be against a full strength Barcelona team and I still wouldn't be there. My non-attendance at the Spurs game has nothing to do with it being Spurs.
Is that really true, or merely artistic license? When making a hypothetical decision on whether or not to attend a friendly, I would go to a game against the most pretentious club on the planet simply because we would *never* come across them domestically.

But generally, I can't be arsed with friendlies. Funnily enough, the last time I went to a friendly was against Spurs at the Goldstone in around 1986. Just over 4,000 there! A pre-season tour one day might be fun though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No.

If people want to see the Albion at the Amex in a friendly, they should go regardless of the opposition. You don't want to see them in a friendly full stop from what your post infers.

Is that really true, or merely artistic license? When making a hypothetical decision on whether or not to attend a friendly, I would go to a game against the most pretentious club on the planet simply because we would *never* come across them domestically.

It is true, yes as I'll be on a stag do in Amsterdam that weekend (coincidentally when Sussex will be playing Netherlands there).

I've watched many friendlies in the past, I'm sure I'll watch many more.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Last time we played Spurs in Moseleys testimonial at the Goldstone it went without a hitch.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
We played Spurs at the Goldstone Ground for Steve Foster Testimonial. I was the Mascot for it, but I don't want them at the Amex for the big Friendly. But it depends on who isn't on tour round the world. Manure are in Asia, Chelsea are going to Malaysia and Arsenal normally do Austria and have the Emirates Cup Tournament during July. So it can't be the big three.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The only big opening game will be the one on 06th August when everyone will be at the AMEX for my Birthday bash !

Any pre-season friendlies are meaningless non-events.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When is it getting confirmed who we are playing, does anybody know/

I was told yesterday that it is definitely Spurs on 30th July. I think it is a good match one of the top teams in The premiership who play football rather than like Chelsea an adaption of route one plus it may foster good relations between the clubs and bring us one or two loan signings. The downside is Gus keeps in with them to take over if Arry leaves for England or prison or even as has been suggested in the press, Chelsea cos Abramovich likes his style of football.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What the HELL do people EXPECT if a team from this years Champions League isn't GOOD ENOUGH?

It would be a great choice. Brighton will still get a TOUCH of the ball (compared to if Barca etc played).

We get to see international quality players managed by (probably) the next England manager against one of Gus' old teams.

Seriously, some people need to get a reality check. The opening of Brighton's stadium is not the biggest puller to EVERY team in the world. Getting Spurs would be competitive yet still let us see some fantastic footballers.

This

I am not a Spurs fan but they are now a top Premership side and will sell out our new stadium.

To be fair what have been our biggest or best friendly games, the past few years its been local Sussex sides...

The ones that sticks in my mind are - Jimmy Case's testimonal, big crowd.

Crystal Palace pre season at the Goldstone, smaller crowd.

Some people seem to be expecting Brazil...

TS90

Jan 26, 2011

Well said this man.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How about Rangers or Celtic? Some of their fans might come in kilts for you.

Having spent an afternoon in the away end at Craven Cottage with a travelling Green Army, I can safely say that I would never want them to visit our ground. They smelt, they were rude, they were violent, the Secretarian bollocks was cringe worthy. They turned Bishops Park into a sea of piss and most of the local newsagents closed as fans were helping themselves to cans. To be fair, it was only 90% of them that behaved that way.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having spent an afternoon in the away end at Craven Cottage with a travelling Green Army, I can safely say that I would never want them to visit our ground. They smelt, they were rude, they were violent, the Secretarian bollocks was cringe worthy. They turned Bishops Park into a sea of piss and most of the local newsagents closed as fans were helping themselves to cans. To be fair, it was only 90% of them that behaved that way.

We'll never forget the charming behaviour of Rangers fans at the UEFA Cup final in Manchester three years ago.

Their team and tactics were SHITE too.

Manchester-riot-2008-006.jpg

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have no issue with Spurs either way.

Surprised at the hostility towards them given the ticketing BINFEST when we played them in the FA Cup a few years ago. You would have thought that Dick Knight had raped their mothers and killed their offspring given the reaction of some superfans who did not get a ticket from the ballot.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fairly big club who've had a couple of decent seasons, they are not massive. No thanks.

Who would you suggest is big enough to warrant opening the stadium though?

Southampton opened St Mary's with a match against the Albion, can you imagine if their fans had the same attitude as on here? Yet their match sold out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here