• Lee Westwood

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Amy Williams

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
i dont have too much problem with McCoy winning it.The biggest surprise to me was Mo Farah not being nominated

Mo Farah was nominated for the Somali Sports Personaility of the year. He should do well although he is up against some strong local personalities. There are the ubiquitous local sailor types, a couple of kat fiends however the favourite is Abdul "one stone" Abdullah..........the scourge of the sluts.

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Any programme that gives Princess Anne and her daughter an award for SPOTY wants binning.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Virtually all of us have played competitive sports at school do varying levels of achievement. We fall in love with a sport or we can hate a sport. Being forced to do a sport you do not want to may well force you to hate that sport but, at least you try it even if only once. Sport is all about participation and personal bests but it’s only through participation can you understand what it is like to reach the top in a given sport. Horse racing has a limited participation. Paying £200 for a 1/360th part of a horse does not make you a participant. Here’s a very simple but personal listing of the top 10 of this years SPOTY events.

Cycling, yes used to do time trial cycling and once cycled to Selsey and back ( 60 miles)
Athletics, yes, did some of my 3 A’s at school and took up running for fitness about 4 years ago.
Horse Racing, er.. Missed school the day we did that I think….
Cricket, yes, played at school some local outdoor matches and played Owzat in Lancing til it closed.
Golf, yes, but not a fan, Have done some pitch and putt courses, if I wanted to there are plenty of courses.
Diving, yes used to go off the first and second board of the Aquarena but bricked it from the top board.
Boxing, er not really but did once own a punch ball and boxing gloves as a boy.
Darts, yes, played socially for many years then played for my local pub for a few years in Worthing
Luge, or Skeleton Bob, no, never really done skiing or winter sports due to the fact we never had snow.

So then , how easy is it to participate in the above events ? Fairly easy apart from one I think ?

The common thread here though is that you were, in relative terms, absolutely shite at all of them.

Racing gives you a chance to be a central figure at the very biggest occasions. There have been plenty of National winners and Cheltenham winners bought for peanuts - Desert Orchid would be a good example.

If you don't like racing that's up to you, but to slate it as a "non-participation" sport is ridiculous. Jumping in particular is full of people who started out participating for no money at all at point-to-points or, in Ireland, on the pony racing circuit. Plenty of Irish Flat jockeys started out racing ponies too, Kieren Fallon among them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Non-particiption sport? No. I know plenty of people that take part in point-to-point. The riders range from unemployed to butchers and hotel managers to plasterers.

Just a quickie BoF, what is the proportion of people you know, who do point-to-point compared to the people who you know who play or have played Footie, Cricket etc. ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Just a quickie BoF, what is the proportion of people you know, who do point-to-point compared to the people who you know who play or have played Footie, Cricket etc. ?

Ah... Minute, but it is not a non-participation sport. It is available to those who feel that way inclined.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ah... Minute, but it is not a non-participation sport. It is available to those who feel that way inclined.

Thank you BoF, the point I was trying to make was that although it has a large viewing public this does translate to a low participation rate. I know plenty of people who like a gamble and think they know horses but in my entire life I only new one schoolfriend connected to horse racing, he was a stable lad at Ryan prices in Findon for a few years. I wonder how many people at Withdean either have, or are, still playing local footy as a proportion of the gate ? I think the defence, rests.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Thank you BoF, the point I was trying to make was that although it has a large viewing public this does translate to a low participation rate. I know plenty of people who like a gamble and think they know horses but in my entire life I only new one schoolfriend connected to horse racing, he was a stable lad at Ryan prices in Findon for a few years. I wonder how many people at Withdean either have, or are, still playing local footy as a proportion of the gate ? I think the defence, rests.

Probably similar to the proportion of people that ride/have ridden and attend race meetings....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Its the horse that should win the award not the jockey.

That Irish git wouldn`t get far round Aintree on his own would he ?

Jessica should have won cos I love her.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
my life, is now, complete

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here