Mark Cavendish in fourth (55,960),
Beth Tweddle (38,907),
Daley (36,929),
Andy Murray (19,936),
Strauss (17,237),
David Haye (13,916)
Phillips Idowu (4,507).

with a total of 516,473 votes cast.

I still can't see how almost 1 in 3 people voted for Giggs and have always been a bit supsicious and I have no idea how Phil Taylor polled 72,000. Still, what do I know, I was on Swann (and still maintain he may well have won, if we had retained the Ashes yesterday)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If it was for personality alone, then surely Swanny would have walked it........McCoy is our greatest ever National Hunt jockey (but I do agree that he has very little personality). I hope that Phil Taylor wins it soon as, like McCoy, he has been miles better than all his rivals for years in what some would consider not a 'proper' sport. Had McCoy been as successful in a popular sport (lets say the housewives favourite Tennis) he'd have won the award years ago.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
How is spanking a horse for a few miles a sport?

Go on then, you have a go!

Also, if I remember correctly, horseracing is the fourth most-watched sport in the country, so not as if it's that much of a minority sport really either.

AP thoroughly deserved to win this award, it's just a surprise in my opinion to see he him win it on the basis of finally winning the Grand National, when in other seasons he's been more consistent and won more races.

Admittedly, looking at the last two winners, it's just become a kind of pre-Lifetime achievement award unless somebody really excels. Wouldn't surprise me if Phil Taylor did go on to win it next year if the domestic nations again have very little to write home about sportwise.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

Also, if I remember correctly, horseracing is the fourth most-watched sport in the country, so not as if it's that much of a minority sport really either.

AP thoroughly deserved to win this award, it's just a surprise in my opinion to see he him win it on the basis of finally winning the Grand National, when in other seasons he's been more consistent and won more races.

Admittedly, looking at the last two winners, it's just become a kind of pre-Lifetime achievement award unless somebody really excels. Wouldn't surprise me if Phil Taylor did go on to win it next year if the domestic nations again have very little to write home about sportwise.

Second-most watched in terms of paid attendance, miles ahead of rugby, cricket, tennis etc.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was happy for McCoy to win, although yet again for this award you could argue he won it in the wrong year.

The other thing this has shown is the totally disproportionate emphasis placed on the Grand National. It's one race (BBC-covered, there's a surprise). And arguably because of its nature, winning it you have to be very lucky, it's not all about skill. There, or should be, different criteria for judging a jockey's career. But hey, if that's the excuse that was needed I'm not complaining.

By contrast being champion jockey for 15 years is different class, as are all the other big-race victories and Cheltenham (Channel 4) successes.

Was surprised at Taylor coming second (simply because of the electorate's record in this) and McDowell should have come ahead of Ennis and got at least third.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

One of the most watched, well maybe but a participant sport? its not something that many people do, is it now ? " I'm just off to the stables to take the thoroughbred out for a ride around Ascot " be honest, it's a minorty participation business but only really watched by gamblers and people out on jolly's. End of.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My personal view is that either Jess Ennis or Mark Cavendish should have won it on the basis that they put more effort in than most of the others put together.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just been reading in the paper that the people behind racing on TV have also been backing him. So in a very low vote, the Sports "Personality" of the Year has been decided by a lobby group. Not unheard of but devalues what has become an over-blown and uninteresting event. As a kid it used to be a highlight of the sporting year - now it's a joke.
Agreed. I only watch the last ten mins and that was only because the Apprentice was on next.

All those complaining about the result, all I can say is "meh". Ryan Giggs won it in last year's farce, enough said.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
One of the most watched, well maybe but a participant sport? its not something that many people do, is it now ? " I'm just off to the stables to take the thoroughbred out for a ride around Ascot " be honest, it's a minorty participation business but only really watched by gamblers and people out on jolly's. End of.

Depends on whether you call stumping up large amounts of cash to buy a horse, feed it, have it trained and then run it in races where it carries your colours "participation".

Personally I'd say that one of racing's attractions is precisely that it *does* allow people to participate directly if they want to, at the very highest level too if they're lucky, regardless of their own physical prowess or lack thereof. Doesn't need to cost thousands either. The Elite racing club costs about £200 a year to join and has plenty of horses running in its colours. They had a runner in the St Leger this year and then sent him on to the Japan Cup last month, one of the most valuable races in the world

So how exactly do you define participation? Does it change according to your bias towards one sport or another? Because your "ride around Ascot" analogy suggests that anyone who doesn't actually turn out for a team once in a while is a non-participant in football, which is clearly nonsense.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Depends on whether you call stumping up large amounts of cash to buy a horse, feed it, have it trained and then run it in races where it carries your colours "participation".

Personally I'd say that one of racing's attractions is precisely that it *does* allow people to participate directly if they want to, at the very highest level too if they're lucky, regardless of their own physical prowess or lack thereof. Doesn't need to cost thousands either. The Elite racing club costs about £200 a year to join and has plenty of horses running in its colours. They had a runner in the St Leger this year and then sent him on to the Japan Cup last month, one of the most valuable races in the world

So how exactly do you define participation? Does it change according to your bias towards one sport or another? Because your "ride around Ascot" analogy suggests that anyone who doesn't actually turn out for a team once in a while is a non-participant in football, which is clearly nonsense.

Virtually all of us have played competitive sports at school do varying levels of achievement. We fall in love with a sport or we can hate a sport. Being forced to do a sport you do not want to may well force you to hate that sport but, at least you try it even if only once. Sport is all about participation and personal bests but it’s only through participation can you understand what it is like to reach the top in a given sport. Horse racing has a limited participation. Paying £200 for a 1/360th part of a horse does not make you a participant. Here’s a very simple but personal listing of the top 10 of this years SPOTY events.

Cycling, yes used to do time trial cycling and once cycled to Selsey and back ( 60 miles)
Athletics, yes, did some of my 3 A’s at school and took up running for fitness about 4 years ago.
Horse Racing, er.. Missed school the day we did that I think….
Cricket, yes, played at school some local outdoor matches and played Owzat in Lancing til it closed.
Golf, yes, but not a fan, Have done some pitch and putt courses, if I wanted to there are plenty of courses.
Diving, yes used to go off the first and second board of the Aquarena but bricked it from the top board.
Boxing, er not really but did once own a punch ball and boxing gloves as a boy.
Darts, yes, played socially for many years then played for my local pub for a few years in Worthing
Luge, or Skeleton Bob, no, never really done skiing or winter sports due to the fact we never had snow.

So then , how easy is it to participate in the above events ? Fairly easy apart from one I think ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why didn't the ladies wear more sensible shoes.
If your walking down a slippy steep ramp, you really should be wearing plimsolls.

That set was a potential death trap.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Virtually all of us have played competitive sports at school do varying levels of achievement. We fall in love with a sport or we can hate a sport. Being forced to do a sport you do not want to may well force you to hate that sport but, at least you try it even if only once. Sport is all about participation and personal bests but it’s only through participation can you understand what it is like to reach the top in a given sport. Horse racing has a limited participation. Paying £200 for a 1/360th part of a horse does not make you a participant. Here’s a very simple but personal listing of the top 10 of this years SPOTY events.

Cycling, yes used to do time trial cycling and once cycled to Selsey and back ( 60 miles)
Athletics, yes, did some of my 3 A’s at school and took up running for fitness about 4 years ago.
Horse Racing, er.. Missed school the day we did that I think….
Cricket, yes, played at school some local outdoor matches and played Owzat in Lancing til it closed.
Golf, yes, but not a fan, Have done some pitch and putt courses, if I wanted to there are plenty of courses.
Diving, yes used to go off the first and second board of the Aquarena but bricked it from the top board.
Boxing, er not really but did once own a punch ball and boxing gloves as a boy.
Darts, yes, played socially for many years then played for my local pub for a few years in Worthing
Luge, or Skeleton Bob, no, never really done skiing or winter sports due to the fact we never had snow.

So then , how easy is it to participate in the above events ? Fairly easy apart from one I think ?

Riding Schools in the UK

Take your pick.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You don't get up to a canter half the time, yes thats so like Horse Racing !:stupid:

I would argue that it is as close to horse racing as your pitch and putt experience is to competing in professional golf tournaments. Horse riding is accessible to everyone, just the same as the other sports you listed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This year's top 2 have dominated their sports for the last 15 years plus and have set the standard and raised the bar. Personally, I'd have loved to see Taylor win it but can't possibly begrudge McCoy a well-deserved award. As well as being a physically risky sport McCoy's physical conditioning in maintaining his weight is second to none.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I would argue that it is as close to horse racing as your pitch and putt experience is to competing in professional golf tournaments. Horse riding is accessible to everyone, just the same as the other sports you listed.

Are you a pre-pubescent schoolgirl ? if so, you are well supplied with riding options

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i dont have too much problem with McCoy winning it.The biggest surprise to me was Mo Farah not being nominated

A disgrace that Farah did not make the final cut. If David Haye can make it to the 'top ten', then Farah should have been one of the first names out of the hat.

It is a bit of a dud competition anyway. Seemingly half the population think they are voting on who has the best personality (personality being another word for celebrity/famous person).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here