Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southend expecting 1,700 Brighton fans tomorrow

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Never known the S'end stewards to make people sit down. They generally take a relaxed attitude to that. Makes for a great atmosphere, although I doubt it will be as much fun as Easter '74 when, if memory serves me correctly, the events of the day made the national headlines. If NSC's very own folklorist, Freddie Goodwin, reads this, perhaps he can confirm my memory that the trouble at the match, in the town and on the trains did receive such prominent coverage.

I remember ten years ago (or thereabouts) a mob of Southend supporters attacking us on the way back to the station. Can get a bit tasty.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i think that was the one where we smashed up a couple of pubs. one on the corner by the seafront rings a bell. rumours of west ham fans out too. was very hot , got sunburnt

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Its seating but the leg room and general comfort is horrendous, its all made of wood.

Most will probably stand won't they, a bit like Charlton, everyone stood, but I guess it depends if the stewards are c*nts. Which they probably will be being from Essex.

They're the best stewards around. I noticed they even have a little corner, away from the security cameras, where they let people smoke and join them for fag at half time. They never tell anyone to sit down.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
They're the best stewards around. I noticed they even have a little corner, away from the security cameras, where they let people smoke and join them for fag at half time. They never tell anyone to sit down.

Makes a change then. I couldn't remember what they were like so thanks for clarifying.:thumbsup:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i beg to differ , walking up to the ground last time a steward came up to me and ust out of the blue said youre not coming in. i said why , he said as i was drunk. id had a few beers but wasnt stumbling around slurring etc. prob the same as 90 percent of the crowd that night. we asked to speak to the police who said they cant go against the decision. really pissed off , so went in the home end . got a bit bored so at half time managed to wangle our way in to the away end , were quickly spotted and thrown out. apparently he thought we were part of a bigger group who were properly pissed and being a bit troublesome. mind you i suppose it was only one person. only time ive ever been kicked out of a game

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Will it be allocated seating tommorow?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Will it be allocated seating tommorow?

I doubt it, even if it supposedly is.

I've only been to Roots Hall once but my impression was that even if they wanted everyone to sit down, the seats bolted onto the terrace offer so little legroom and are so narrow that it would almost be impossible for everyone to fit their legs in! Cracking atmosphere under that roof though!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What was the excuse for all the mongs standing in the front rows of the seats at Giilingham. Thus meaning because 12 inconsiderate people chose to stand everybody else had to do likewise or not be able to see.

Because there is a high wall in front of you, it's IMPOSSIBLE to see the pitch from the front row seats at Roots Hall UNLESS you stand up.

And once the front row is standing, EVERYONE has to stand.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
What was the excuse for all the mongs standing in the front rows of the seats at Giilingham. Thus meaning because 12 inconsiderate people chose to stand everybody else had to do likewise or not be able to see.

Here we go again...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Standing is better. :mad: I'd say that anyone who has problems standing up for a certain length of time should probably sit down the front.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Standing is better. :mad: I'd say that anyone who has problems standing up for a certain length of time should probably sit down the front.

When buying a ticket from the club you have no control over where it is situated back or front. On entering the ground there were signs saying that everybody must sit down but the stewards did not ensure this. I personally like to sit at grounds but I understand those who wish to stand. If they so desire why not move towards the back of the stand and then stand and allow those who are sitting to remain seated and still watch the game.

I agree with Lord B at Roots Hall you have to stand at the front just to see the game so everybody has to stand.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
When buying a ticket from the club you have no control over where it is situated back or front. On entering the ground there are signs saying that everybody must sit down but the stewards did not ensure this. I personally like to sit at grounds but I understand those who wish to stand. If they so desire why not go towards the back of the stand and then stand and allow those who are sitting to remain seated and still watch the game.

I actually normally do this, I would agree it is slightly inconsiderate to stand up at the front, knowing that some people might now be able to stand up for long periods. I do think though normally seats are un-allocated so if you really can't stand up for 90 minutes then if it was me, I'd sit near the front, or ask someone if they would mind swapping with me. I also think that when people stand up the atmosphere is better. (ie. Charlton)

I doubt it will ever change though so we are probably wasting our time even discussing it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
When buying a ticket from the club you have no control over where it is situated back or front. On entering the ground there were signs saying that everybody must sit down but the stewards did not ensure this. I personally like to sit at grounds but I understand those who wish to stand. If they so desire why not move towards the back of the stand and then stand and allow those who are sitting to remain seated and still watch the game.

I agree with Lord B at Roots Hall you have to stand at the front just to see the game so everybody has to stand.

There where empty seats down the front on tuesday and I highly doubt a steward would have cared If you had moved and sat in them given everyone else was treating it as unallocated, perhaps sometimes its better just to join the many rather than suffering amongst the few?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here