Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton's top boy

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
i dont think your in the same bracket as derby, leic, cov and charlton. Maybe Charlton cos they are in the same league, but the rest are bigger because they are in a higher league. Its quite simple really....

Sorry Al, Don't agree with your logic there. Higher league doesn't necessarily mean bigger. Wigan bigger than Leeds or Sheff Wed? Don't think so.

I appreciate you are having a bit of banter with our mate from The Dell but that argument doesn't add up.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Sorry Al, Don't agree with your logic there. Higher league doesn't necessarily mean bigger. Wigan bigger than Leeds or Sheff Wed? Don't think so.

I appreciate you are having a bit of banter with our mate from The Dell but that argument doesn't add up.

It doesn't add up at all. I watched the Wales, and then the England game tonight with a Wigan fan. He was telling me how he went to the game at White Hart Lane last week when Wigan won 1-0 - what a result!

He said there was approximately 60 fans there. 60 FANS?!

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Just noticed on redned avatar ( of the saints badge) that theres a paint brush above the logo....

I appreciate that winning a cup at wembley is a great achievement ( yes I am jealous)
and that national sides like to show gold stars on their shirt for world cup wins.....but FFS...

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Just noticed on redned avatar ( of the saints badge) that theres a paint brush above the logo....

I appreciate that winning a cup at wembley is a great achievement ( yes I am jealous)
and that national sides like to show gold stars on their shirt for world cup wins.....but FFS...

:laugh::laugh:

This was an April fools joke on the Saints OS just after we won it :laugh::laugh: Fans were told that our shirt was being changed to this.

Guess you kinda fell for it too.

Southampton | News | Latest News | Latest News | A Brush With Success

Sorry but you have made my day :laugh:

PS: Who is redned?

Last edited:

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill

Correct and even if we dont go up this season for some reason, you cant deny we will eventually and pretty much stay in the mix with Derby, Leicester etc. Meanwhile Pompey looked pretty doomed. The only thing they have thats bigger than us is their NPC status, and that aint gonna last is it.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Always wonder how people categorize 'big'. Maybe its :-

- size of ground. That would be Saints.
- crowd size. Erm Saints.
- league position in past 10 years. Probably Pompey.
- League position in past 20 years. Saints again.
- League position in past 50 years. Yep Saints again.
- current financial clout and hence brighter future. I mean I could go on.

Sadly there are no 'big'clubs on the south coast. But Southampton, with a record attendance of only 32,000, and a highest ever league average of well below that, and only one major trophy to their name, are probably below Pompey by any reckoning, except possibly current attendances, where neither club's are anything to crow about compared to the likes of Sheff Wed or even Naaarwich.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Southampton are far bigger than shitty pompey!
Pompey have acheived in recent years by seriously overspending,pompey had about 30 years+ of very average crowds.

Plus the saints spent decades in the top flight:p

until recent years pompey have had just 1 season in the top flight since 1950.
The saints in recent years had over 33 years in the top flight and have averaged over 30k 3 times in recent years.

Its clear to see we will be the 2nd biggest soon:)

Last edited:

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Yes, but Saints spent years in the top flight virtually unnoticed by all but their own fans, for many seasons playing in a 'stadium' holding only 15,000. And let's not forget, they too have been in administration, i.e. living beyond their means. Saints and Pompey fans arguing over who's the bigger club are like two slap-heads fighting over a comb.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes, but Saints spent years in the top flight virtually unnoticed by all but their own fans, for many seasons playing in a 'stadium' holding only 15,000. And let's not forget, they too have been in administration, i.e. living beyond their means. Saints and Pompey fans arguing over who's the bigger club are like two slap-heads fighting over a comb.

Towards the end of the Dell's tenure the capacity was 15,000. Before the Taylor report it was above 20 and there were plent of other clubs in the top flight with similar grounds. Pompey's success has been artificial with money they didnt have. Cant say that about our 1977 - 2005 top flight status.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Pompey won the league twice and the cup once long before football went money mad, their highest average gate was well above Saints record-ever crowd. Saints were in the top flight for a long time without ever making much impact, a dull little club who in the end were forever fighting relegation. When they finally slipped out of the division, they'd done so little for so long it was quite a while before anyone even noticed they'd gone. And with their identikit stadium and quiet fans, i doubt anyone's in a rush to have them back.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Pompey won the league twice and the cup once long before football went money mad, their highest average gate was well above Saints record-ever crowd. Saints were in the top flight for a long time without ever making much impact, a dull little club who in the end were forever fighting relegation. When they finally slipped out of the division, they'd done so little for so long it was quite a while before anyone even noticed they'd gone. And with their identikit stadium and quiet fans, i doubt anyone's in a rush to have them back.

identikit 32,500 stadium. Thanks for your unbiased opinion. :tosser:

sotonseagull

Feb 8, 2008
southampton
Correct and even if we dont go up this season for some reason, you cant deny we will eventually and pretty much stay in the mix with Derby, Leicester etc. Meanwhile Pompey looked pretty doomed. The only thing they have thats bigger than us is their NPC status, and that aint gonna last is it.

Most of the people on my street support saints, apart from me (good banter tho) and a spurs supporter. With the players you have you should win the division. But your not, Pompey are doomed and will be in league one next season. Getting rid of Pardew just after a 4-0 win and just seemed to get it going is ridiculous! But will improve and if not, something is very wrong!
:albion1:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here