Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton's top boy

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Pompey won the league twice and the cup once long before football went money mad, their highest average gate was well above Saints record-ever crowd. Saints were in the top flight for a long time without ever making much impact, a dull little club who in the end were forever fighting relegation. When they finally slipped out of the division, they'd done so little for so long it was quite a while before anyone even noticed they'd gone. And with their identikit stadium and quiet fans, i doubt anyone's in a rush to have them back.

identikit 32,500 stadium. Thanks for your unbiased opinion. :tosser:

A fairly succinct and fully unbiased opinion redneb. Seriously if you cant hack some facts why come on a forum. If you have reason to believe krakatoa is wrong then argue back with facts of your own.

This....

:tosser:

only confirms he is right.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Tis true Redneb. Nottarf krap may be a bit of a dump, but at least it has some character, and sometimes unusually old-fashioned atmosphere. St Fairies is just another clone stadium, along with the Walker's, Riverside, Pride Park etc etc , yawn. . .

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Redneb, having had considerable time to consider your counter argument, the lack of response concludes this matter IMO.

Thread closed!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Redneb, having had considerable time to consider your counter argument, the lack of response concludes this matter IMO.

Thread closed!

Considerable time ? Apologies for actually sleeping last night.

1. Bigger ground.
2. More fans.
3. Better future.
4. Better past (or at least since TV was broadcast in colour).

Thread closed.

1. Bigger ground.
2. More fans.
3. Better future.

Thread closed.

One reason you're a bigger club is because you've got a better future? Riiiiigggghhhtttt........In which case, BHA are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

And clearly as the post that shat over your claims has proven, Pompey has a better past. Unlike you, I'm not applying some arbitrary cut-off point to counter your claim. Facts is facts. Pompey has a better past.

Thread not so closed.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Portsmouth fans: Aggressive, passionate, hooligans.
Southampton fans: Face painting, harmless, backward.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
One reason you're a bigger club is because you've got a better future? Riiiiigggghhhtttt........In which case, BHA are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

And clearly as the post that shat over your claims has proven, Pompey has a better past. Unlike you, I'm not applying some arbitrary cut-off point to counter your claim. Facts is facts. Pompey has a better past.

Thread not so closed.

Yeah coz Blackpool, Huddersfield and Preston are massive clubs. Look at their history.

It makes me laugh the way if Saints have a bad few weeks due to the death of our owner and then having no manager, the knives come out and it's all over for us. Let's see where we are in May.

PS: Good to see BHA having some money for once and I for one hope they soon play at higher level simply so I can go and watch some decent midweek matches down the road from my house. Not sure how ur one of the biggest in the world though?? Pls explain.

Yeah coz Blackpool, Huddersfield and Preston are massive clubs. Look at their history.

It makes me laugh the way if Saints have a bad few weeks due to the death of our owner and then having no manager, the knives come out and it's all over for us. Let's see where we are in May.

PS: Good to see BHA having some money for once and I for one hope they soon play at higher level simply so I can go and watch some decent midweek matches down the road from my house. Not sure how ur one of the biggest in the world though?? Pls explain.

You say Saints are a bigger club because they have a better future ergo BHA must be a flipping massive club on that criterion.

As for the past - you've picked an arbitrary point in time and decided that will be the point at which all success is measured. Okay - I can play that game. Let's go for, ooh let's pick something at random, say the last 5 years. Who's the bigger club - Pompey or Saints?

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
You say Saints are a bigger club because they have a better future ergo BHA must be a flipping massive club on that criterion.

How? Thought your owner had 100's of millions. Ours have billions. (not that either will spend all their money on football.)

As for the past - you've picked an arbitrary point in time and decided that will be the point at which all success is measured. Okay - I can play that game. Let's go for, ooh let's pick something at random, say the last 5 years. Who's the bigger club - Pompey or Saints?

As per my earlier post - last 10 years = Pompey (albeit with £ they didnt have).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Question for you redneb, why did your chairman really sack Pardew? I've heard the official line, but it doesn't feel right.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Question for you redneb, why did your chairman really sack Pardew? I've heard the official line, but it doesn't feel right.

Nothing to do with football. AP and NC have hated each other since day one. It looked as though he was gonna sack him in May coz he didnt make the play offs. A colleague at work and her husband r good friends with AP and his missus. She reckons its either the fact he's up his own ass and doesnt show anyone any respect, or he's been trying it on with someone's wife again. She says he's a complete womaniser and always gives it the big I am.

Last edited:

How? Thought your owner had 100's of millions. Ours have billions. (not that either will spend all their money on football.)

Ours apparently has billions. Yours - well, he did have billions. He's dead now and it will be interesting to see what happens. Our future is secured with a bloke who has effectively given us a brand new stadium without the bank debts. He's a fan, his family are fans (proper fans - they've been associated with our club for donkey's years). A really exciting manager with a stadium being built that is the envy of most clubs. Yep. We've got a better future.

As per my earlier post - last 10 years = Pompey (albeit with £ they didnt have).

And Saints were never guilty of overspending, then? You know - that time you seem to have forgotten from after Saints were good and before this Swiss chairman got involved.

I'll be honest - this attempt by you at proving who's the biggest on the South Coast is a bit like claiming to be the biggest baddest meanest muvvafukka in the whole of Crowborough.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Ours apparently has billions. Yours - well, he did have billions. He's dead now and it will be interesting to see what happens. Our future is secured with a bloke who has effectively given us a brand new stadium without the bank debts. He's a fan, his family are fans (proper fans - they've been associated with our club for donkey's years). A really exciting manager with a stadium being built that is the envy of most clubs. Yep. We've got a better future.

So if your so rich why havent you signed players of the quality of Lambert, Barnard, Puncheon, Richardson, Dickson etc etc

Saints were never guilty of overspending, then?

Can hardly compare. Saints went into admin by the fact they bought a new stadium and were relying on Prem cash to pay the mortgage. The books of the club were always kept well with a strict wage structure and never spending over a few million on a player. Pompey went into admin by happily paying salaries of £60k and never investing in the actual infrastructure. Besides our buyer bought out all the depts whereas Pompey are leaving unpaid invoices to charities, local businesses etc

You must be a closet Pompey fan to defend what are the real scum of the south coast.

I dunno why we haven't signed those players. Pompey weren't rich but they paid silly money for silly players. I don't run the club nor do I set the budgets. All I know is that (a Brighton nut for a chairman aside) we're debt free, we've got a fantastic stadium to sit in and one of the most exciting young managers in the lower leagues....and big big rumours abound of our chairman's wealth. I'm not having an argument with you about who's the richest club. As I said earlier, your attempts at bigging up the Saints is a bit pointless. We're both playing League One football. You're just a bit crapper at it at the moment.

I can compare you with Pompey over dreadful finances. You were not financially prudent if you were relying on staying in the Premiership. It really is that simple. Doesn't matter where you spent the money you didn't have - it wasn't yours to spend.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There's obviously a huge ego clash with Pardew and that Cortese joker, ie they both have huge egos.

I think Alan Pardew is becoming the Leon Knight of management. Had a bit of success with West Ham (Cup final, top 10), but in all his jobs since he gives it the big I am while slipping slowly down the divisions, and just can't get his head round it. You can't be too too cocky when you're getting sacked by League One clubs.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Nothing to do with football. AP and NC have hated each other since day one. It looked as though he was gonna sack him in May coz he didnt make the play offs. A colleague at work and her husband r good friends with AP and his missus. She reckons its either the fact he's up his own ass and doesnt show anyone any respect, or he's been trying it on with someone's wife again. She says he's a complete womaniser and always gives it the big I am.
That sounds more like it. I can't believe he was sacked for 'football reasons' alone. Perhaps AP and NC (ego's) were too alike to work with each other.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE

1. Bigger ground.
2. More fans.
3. Better future.

Thread closed.

For most of your history you've had a smaller ground. For most of your history you've had fewer fans. You've won one major trophy compared to four. As for the future, who knows? You're still below Pompey at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here