Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton fans arrested for 'homophobic' chanting.....

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If you're an old lady or someone with a kid, I'd say get over it. .

Well, it's pretty clear you don't have kids or you wouldn't say that. Come back when you do, and see if you'd like drunk, abusive twats using that sort of language or making those gestures towards their parents outside the ground.

It's a shame you are being so dense about the real nasty stuff that goes on, because I actually agree with you about some of the songs being fairly harmless (if very boring and unoriginal). If some Brighton fans are so outraged, it does suggest that A FEW are as anti-gay as any out there, and just don't like that being associated with it.

As far as these fans go, if you are stupid enough to do something that is banned, it's a fair cop. I suspect they just thought 'We'll do it anyway, we'll never get arrested'. Oops. Bluff called.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You wouldn't be saying that if you were the one unlucky enough to be "plucked out from the herd", thus getting yourself a criminal record. And as I said, not only were they in a crowd, but it was aimed at a crowd. It's not offending one particular person. Yes, if it was said in the streets you'd probably get a talking to from the coppers, but it's very different in a football crowd environment.

Unlucky? Or just stupid? No, I wouldn't, I'd merely be pissed off because I'd let myself get caught in that situation.

Did you do it? Yes. Did you get caught? Yes. Did the others? No. Does that make you any less guilty under the law? No.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Title of the thread: "Southampton fans arrested for 'homophobic' chanting....."

<sigh> As I've said several times now, you have no idea what the two in question were arrested for, other than a fairly generic "homophobic chanting". Yes, I KNOW two were nicked, but none of us know exactly what they're alleged to have said.

What I'm trying to say is, it MIGHT have been that which you just mentioned, but in all probability it was something more unpleasant. And if it does turn out to be the latter, then it's their own stupid fault.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
Well, it's pretty clear you don't have kids or you wouldn't say that. Come back when you do, and see if you'd like drunk, abusive twats using that sort of language or making those gestures towards their parents outside the ground.

It's a shame you are being so dense about the real nasty stuff that goes on, because I actually agree with you about some of the songs being fairly harmless (if very boring and unoriginal). If some Brighton fans are so outraged, it does suggest that A FEW are as anti-gay as any out there, and just don't like that being associated with it.

As far as these fans go, if you are stupid enough to do something that is banned, it's a fair cop. I suspect they just thought 'We'll do it anyway, we'll never get arrested'. Oops. Bluff called.

I don't have children, no, but if I did, and I didn't want them hearing that sort of language, I wouldn't take them to a football match in the first place. Football is (or used to be) a working class game for working class people. It's not a place for happy families to go and enjoy a little picnic with a blanket and a flask of hot chocolate whilst occasionally letting out meek signs of vague excitement. People swear and get drunk. That's how it is.

I wouldn't mind my child hearing that stuff anyway. They're gonna hear it at some point anyway. You can't mollycoddle them forever. As long as you educate them about what's right and what's wrong, I don't see the problem.

Unlucky? Or just stupid? No, I wouldn't, I'd merely be pissed off because I'd let myself get caught in that situation.

Did you do it? Yes. Did you get caught? Yes. Did the others? No. Does that make you any less guilty under the law? No.

Doesn't stop it from being unfair though, whether they deserved it or not.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
<sigh> As I've said several times now, you have no idea what the two in question were arrested for, other than a fairly generic "homophobic chanting". Yes, I KNOW two were nicked, but none of us know exactly what they're alleged to have said.

What I'm trying to say is, it MIGHT have been that which you just mentioned, but in all probability it was something more unpleasant. And if it does turn out to be the latter, then it's their own stupid fault.

You said it "probably hasn't resulted in an arrest", which was wrong. I was simply correcting you.

<sigh> As *I* have said, it doesn't matter what they were chanting, so what you're saying is irrelevant.

Do keep up.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't have children, no, but if I did, and I didn't want them hearing that sort of language, I wouldn't take them to a football match in the first place. Football is (or used to be) a working class game for working class people. It's not a place for happy families to go and enjoy a little picnic with a blanket and a flask of hot chocolate whilst occasionally letting out meek signs of vague excitement. People swear and get drunk. That's how it is.

I wouldn't mind my child hearing that stuff anyway. They're gonna hear it at some point anyway. You can't mollycoddle them forever. As long as you educate them about what's right and what's wrong, I don't see the problem.

What a load of shit. Virtually every ground has a family section (including I imagine yours). And outside the ground most fans - even those fitting the slightly stereotyped description you've given - observe a code that involves taking it easy around women and kids. Clearly you don't feel bound by that code, which says a lot about you.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
What a load of shit. Virtually every ground has a family section (including I imagine yours). And outside the ground most fans - even those fitting the slightly stereotyped description you've given - observe a code that involves taking it easy around women and kids. Clearly you don't feel bound by that code, which says a lot about you.

Yes, obviously outside the ground you do take it more easy around children with language and behaviour (although not so much women). You said yourself most fans observe this code, so what exactly is your problem? Contradicted yourself a bit there. Inside the ground, however, it's a different story. You get caught up in the game and the children's delicate little ears aren't top of your priorities. Like I said, don't want your kids to hear it? Don't take 'em to the football. Or like you said, take them to the quiet, middle-class stand.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
As the Police announced they were going to keep an ear out for homophobic chanting before the match and they still did it, it doesn't sound like they are the brains of the outfit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. Like I said, don't want your kids to hear it? Don't take 'em to the football. Or like you said, take them to the quiet, middle-class stand.

I took mine to your 'away stand'. Was that the right bit? Or do you have another part, where old ladies and youngsters can go, where nobody asks them if they 'take it up the arse'?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Does your boyfriend know you're here - every game

Stand up, cos you can't sit down - various

You're shit, and it's on your cocks - Southampton

To be fair those two are quite funny.

I can't understand why people are offended by these songs, in the context of a football match.

Like I've said on other threads, if someone walks down St James' street singing these songs it's homophobic. Sing it at a load of Brighton fans and it's banter.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, obviously outside the ground you do take it more easy around children with language and behaviour (although not so much women). You said yourself most fans observe this code, so what exactly is your problem? Contradicted yourself a bit there. Inside the ground, however, it's a different story. You get caught up in the game and the children's delicate little ears aren't top of your priorities. Like I said, don't want your kids to hear it? Don't take 'em to the football. Or like you said, take them to the quiet, middle-class stand.

It is difficult/impossible talking about this with someone who is determined to answer points that haven't been made, and doesn't appear to grasp what is being said.

There are three aspects of what Brighton fans routinely get. One is harmless chanting in the ground. Two is more sinister antihomophobic chants (eg HIV). And the third, and my view the worst, is where complete tossers allow their anti-gay hatred to spill over into aggressive, threatening and abusive behaviour outside the ground towards anyone with a Brighton scarf on. You seem to be saying that is all okay, and good banter. I disagree. It's unacceptable whether you're gay, straight, have kids or don't.

In the ground, if you take kids into a livelier area and they get upset, it is partly the parents' fault. Most of us want an atmosphere.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Where do you draw the line ?. Would you kick someones head in if you thought they were Gay ?. I suspect quite a few of your " fans " would and that goes for every club we travel to. You see it is not " banter ", it has crossed over to threats and violence outside of grounds particulary. What is banter about, your shit and its on your cock ?. You must have a warped view of what is amusing. Centuries, people couldn't understand the fuss about slavery or hanging Blacks up from trees, because they were black. Thankfully times have changed and most of us live in the 21st century now. Shame Southampton is in the time warp from the 1970's. Just go off and rewatch Green Street as you cannot see the issue/problem with some twat asking a 12 year old boy if he sucks his dads cock, so are so far removed from any sense of humanity its not worth the debate with you. If 2 got nicked and banned for life, good for Hampshire Police force as its progress.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton

love the attitude, what a backward attitude to the game you have, if you cant express yourself without having to resort to swearing or homophobic abuse toward others you should be the one not going to football. Why should kids have to be excluded so that you can get drunk and behave in such a chavvy manner..

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
C**k in mouth gestures in front of children, I take that's OK is it? I witnessed plenty of that from your fans, you really are in the dark ages down there are'nt you.....
Sums it up, really. Neanderthals. What a credit you are to your team and your town, SaintsFTW.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
The ironic thing is that we've come so far generally as a society in tolerating and acceptance that there are probably just as many gay people/couples in Southampton/Hampshire than most other places, seems they're just in a stupor of denial and ignorance

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Football is (or used to be) a working class game for working class people.

I don't remember graphic comments about anal sex being part of the football experience in the past at all.
And that's having watched games with the home fans at Bramall Lane, Old Trafford, St James Pk, The Den, Fratton Pk, Roker, Anfield, Maine Rd, Molineux, the Goldstone and many more. Don't bring class into this issue which is about modern football culture.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes, obviously outside the ground you do take it more easy around children with language and behaviour (although not so much women). Like I said, don't want your kids to hear it? Don't take 'em to the football.

If you walked up and down West Street of a saturday night in Brighton calling everyone in view a shitstabber, faggot or making lewd comments at a guy`s wife you might find that over here we have a slightly different view on banter than you do in the backwaters of Hampshire. (cue banjo music)

Eh? If they deserved it then it's fair. Surely?

Sorry, my neanderthal chum but you are like King Canute trying to hold back the tide with this one. 20 years ago, they started making racism unaccepatable at footie and now it seems they are finally getting around to homophobia. It's happening and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Title of the thread: "Southampton fans arrested for 'homophobic' chanting....."
I hope they are prosecuted get a criminal record and banned. Serves them right, there is nothing wrong with banter. You say that if people are offended then that is their problem- WRONG it is illegal to shout vile abuse whether part of a crowd or on your own, it doesn't matter whether it's in a football stadium or not. I take my 12 year old daughter to football and she is aware that it's ok to hear swearing but never to use that language herself, swearing and banter is fine by me. Foul mouthed neanderthal and vile abuse is NOT acceptable, it just shows a complete lack of intelligence and/or education on the people who think that it is acceptable and use it. If you have a problem with that then be prepared to "Man Up" and take the consequences if you are caught and arrested for it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

So ,you do not behave around women. Hmmm classy. I still hold doors open for them but each to their own.

Southampton have stands based on class? Can Saints fans deemed to be Working Class by your club, appeal so they can be upgraded to the Middle Class Stand?

How big is your Middle Class Stand? must be in the hundreds...........

Just curious, as we do not have such stands at the Amex. It is a bit like Apartheid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here