Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton fans arrested for 'homophobic' chanting.....

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Well done hope you lot are happy.
You'll start to get a reputation if people get arrested at every away game you go to now for banter.

We had someone banned for shouting "sheep shagger" at Craig Bellamy.....deemed as racism, get over yourself sweetheart you will only lose 2 fans, that still leaves 28998 twats every saturday in the home end, enjoying the Olympic diving trials!!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
"Does your boyfriend know you're here?" is as tedious and unoriginal as "Small town near Pompey…", "We pay your benefits…", "Southampton's a shit-hole..." And all the other embarrassing rubbish heard from our own fans (for God's sake, please stop…)

What I heard Saints fans chanting at one point sounded more like "You're shit and it's on your cocks". Way beyond jolly banter, this seemed more a convenient excuse for these ignoramuses to vent their poisonous, deeply ingrained hatred about a minority group. Totally unacceptable, disgusting and offensive to any one of us who made it into the 21st-century.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The first bit - :lolol: funny because it's true.

The second bit - :cry: Sad because it's true
Reading this thread though I think we're in the minority. Not a small one but the 'Cliff Richard' fans are definitely gaining ground. Well bollocks to the miserable, ultra-sensitive whinging little wankers is what I say. We ain't going quietly.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Having been a serving Police Officer in Sussex I can tell you that you have no idea how much personal abuse as well as physical I have had to put up with "In my face".
However, I cannot understand the why people get so heated when people call each other names. Perhaps I have a broad back, perhaps I am so stupid as not to recognise what is being said and the purpose behind it, but I am able to laugh it off.
We are also talking about it in the context of a football match. We are not toe to toe in the High St. Having traveled to games all over the world, sat with and been close to other supporters I have never met so many moaning , weak livered, girly fans as our lot.
As I said in the beginning, live with it, dish some out and enjoy the game and the atmosphere. It is all part of the package.

All part of the package ? Vile abuse aimed at all and sundry.
What package did you order ? When I spoke to the coppers who dragged me away and explained what had been said they asked ,``did I want to make a complaint`` and because I was wound up I said ''No I want to rip their heads off``
The copper replied '' Is a shame but we cant let you do that''
I don`t know how they keep their cool I really don`t. Did you hear that Edna ? Praise for the police.:wink:

Some people need to understand on here that this is not about witty repartee and banter.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't agree with the homophobic chanting, but I'm sure our fans give as good as they get when they visit Bristol City, Cardiff, Liverpool etc......

However Saturday I was actually more offended by...... "We are Southampton and we're taking the p!ss", because they were and we didn't get much possession during the last 10 mins!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Does your boyfriend know you're here?" is as tedious and unoriginal as "Small town near Pompey…", "We pay your benefits…", "Southampton's a shit-hole..." And all the other embarrassing rubbish heard from our own fans (for God's sake, please stop…)

Singing "we pay your benefits" at a relatively prosperous town, 70 miles from Brighton, is dim to start with, but never more so than on Saturday, when it was being screeched by a gang of 12-16 year olds, whom I presume are putting only a limited amount of taxes into the national coffers to pay said benefits...

Embarrassing

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
At the game there was a Saints fan a few seats into the section to our left. He was a chavvy looking chap of about 40 with a boy of about 12. Being 40 myself, and stood there with my own 13 year old son, I found his behaviour fascinating.

Before the game had kicked off, he already had a knot of Albion fans ready to attack him. We had limp wrested gestures, followed by acting out undoing his belt then showing his arse to the Albion fans. Then we had miming a cock in his mouth (he seemed quite proficient at this) and some lovely songs.

When he got some abuse back, he stood there giving it the big 'come on then', with a big Gollum grin on his face.

All the while his young lad stood there looking a bit confused.

I would love it if I were to discover that this chap were arrested and banned. It would make my day, frankly.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I was confused by a row of youngsters maybe 12 or 13 behind me singing we pay your benefits at a fairly affluent ground in a well off county.

This would have been in row Z or row X in seats 160ish, please don't do this again, it annoys people who pay out most of our wages in tax when you clearly don't whilst making us all look completely stupid.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well done hope you lot are happy.
You'll start to get a reputation if people get arrested at every away game you go to now for banter.

This has literally made my day you f***ing muppet.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
to be fair it was me... and i said f...ing c...s, got arrested carted off and charged, totally unbelievable, i thought i would get a caution at worst but charged with section 5. now im also looking at a banning order which is total bollox. no violence or anything just words and now someone said i could be looking at a 3 year banning order, home and away

could have happened to anyone the way we are playing.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Saw a fight on the bridge after the game, some Southampton fan mouthing off and when one of our fans said something back he kept on walking but getting mouthy at the same time, they walked towards eachother but there was a few saints fans and just the one Brighton fan and then the Brighton fans mates came along and it kicked off with some girl in the middle of it screaming to get off of him (saints fans girlfriend) then all the police ran over.

Don't know why Southampton fans are on here defending themselves when it was their own fault.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of officers wouldn't take kindly if I used that excuse after calling them whatever I liked.

Swearing at a Police officer is not a criminal offense. When it becomes loud and causes a breach of the peace and may cause fear to a reasonable person it becomes arrestable.
The problem becomes bad when a Police officer swears back, then the usual Police brutality rolls out. Then of course it's different.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
All part of the package ? Vile abuse aimed at all and sundry.
What package did you order ? When I spoke to the coppers who dragged me away and explained what had been said they asked ,``did I want to make a complaint`` and because I was wound up I said ''No I want to rip their heads off``
The copper replied '' Is a shame but we cant let you do that''
I don`t know how they keep their cool I really don`t. Did you hear that Edna ? Praise for the police.:wink:
Some people need to understand on here that this is not about witty repartee and banter.

I understand, but believe me most officers I know, and I know a few love football matches because at least its a day shift and if your really lucky you may get some overtime to add to your basic 23K.
My argument is not about before and after the game. Segregation, holding fans back not tolerating violent behavior. needs to be stopped and the bad guys nicked, end off.
However, inside the ground, being swept up with the emotion of a local derby game things are said and sung that add to the game.
I stood on the Kop for many years, and respected the older lads and they in turn looked after us young lads. It was called growing up.
When I get on a bus(figuratively speaking), walk in the city centre (Not Brighton), I hear and see young mums with kids under the age of 5 effing and blinding as though its completely normal, finger at the ready for anyone who raises an eyebrow.
I don't see anyone dialing 999 to arrest them.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I understand, but believe me most officers I know, and I know a few love football matches because at least its a day shift and if your really lucky you may get some overtime to add to your basic 23K.
My argument is not about before and after the game. Segregation, holding fans back not tolerating violent behavior. needs to be stopped and the bad guys nicked, end off.
However, inside the ground, being swept up with the emotion of a local derby game things are said and sung that add to the game.
I stood on the Kop for many years, and respected the older lads and they in turn looked after us young lads. It was called growing up.
When I get on a bus(figuratively speaking), walk in the city centre (Not Brighton), I hear and see young mums with kids under the age of 5 effing and blinding as though its completely normal, finger at the ready for anyone who raises an eyebrow.

Its not about the swearing is it ? You seem to have completely missed the point.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Point taken but lets not cloud the banter in the ground with the other stuff. Bad language is one thing - letting a few F`s slip out but we are talking about people crossing roads to face someone up, shouting vile stuff I wouldn`t even put up on here. Can`t you see the difference ? I don`t understand this Liverpool bit you go on about SS.
Anyway the laws are in place for the police to start taking some proper action and maybe things will change outside of grounds.

Last edited:

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
Interesting that no-one here has yet mentioned the police's view of it. I'm not a copper, and I obviously have no idea what is true as I didn't see anyone getting arrested, but just for the record, their view is that 2 Albion fans were arrested for "public order and missile throwing".

The Saints fans were both arrested for "homophobic abuse" as suggested above - but given some of the tirades that I saw coming from the home end I can't believe this was just for chanting - it would have been for some of the serious, hate-filled bile; yes, there was plenty - do you really deny that?
actually it was just that... i did use the words a few times but they were not aimed at any one person just their fans in general, like a lot of other people where i was

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
Were you sitting in Block 47/48 (left hand side)? If so we couldn't work out why you got bundled off in the first place. The bloke sitting behind me was giving it large throughout the whole game and i'm sure said much worse.

not sure, but i was surrounded very quickly and then carted off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here