Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton fans arrested for 'homophobic' chanting.....

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Idiots comparing it to racism in the 70's etc need to wake the f*** up.

Back then it was fans hurling abuse at individual players, even when black players where on the fans team.

The difference now is this ""Homophobia law" is going to focus on one club, ours.

If I said sheepshaggers who am I refering to? Cardiff? Swansea? Australia? Ipswich?

What about "town full of faggots?"

Hence people who speak out will be seen as representing fans, we are most likley to end up with a rep as over sensitive butt hurt bitches. How will that make things better?

Oct 25, 2003
if you're warned that if you do something then you'll get arrested

and then you do it

and you therefore get arrested

then to be honest you deserve to be arrested for crimes against human evolution

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
How ridiculous. What exactly were they chanting? I've never heard a "homophobic" chant at a football match. I can't think of many chants mentioning sexuality apart from "we can see you holding hands", which is not homophobic. If people take offence at opposition fans implying they're gay, then they are the homophobic ones. What next? Arresting fans for making fun of a player's weight?

This is the sort of stuff I'd expect to find in Orwell's 1984.

Jan 30, 2008
Saw a fight on the bridge after the game, some Southampton fan mouthing off and when one of our fans said something back he kept on walking but getting mouthy at the same time, they walked towards eachother but there was a few saints fans and just the one Brighton fan and then the Brighton fans mates came along and it kicked off with some girl in the middle of it screaming to get off of him (saints fans girlfriend) then all the police ran over.

Don't know why Southampton fans are on here defending themselves when it was their own fault.
so you didn't offer to help then ?

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
How ridiculous. What exactly were they chanting? I've never heard a "homophobic" chant at a football match. I can't think of many chants mentioning sexuality apart from "we can see you holding hands", which is not homophobic. If people take offence at opposition fans implying they're gay, then they are the homophobic ones. What next? Arresting fans for making fun of a player's weight?

I take it that you have earphones in then and listen to a live commentary whilst you watch the game?

On a serious note, it might pay you to re-read some of these posts as they clearly explain that the implication suggested in the chants are both homophobic, offensive and therefore illegal. :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Can you not be bothered to read the rest of this thread?

There are two salient points for you to note here.

Firstly, that the two supporters in question are likely to have said far more than "does your boyfriend know you're here?", in which case it's entirely their own fault if they got nicked, not ours, not the police's, but theirs.

And secondly...why should we give a toss? Do you honestly think any of us give a damn that a couple of Saints fans got nicked, or that you might start to think we have a "reputation" as a result? We already have a "reputation", you tool, that's why the troglodyte element of your crowd were shouting what they did. Personally, I think it's bloody HILARIOUS if they got arrested, and frankly it'll be even more funny if they subsequently get banned.

Do come here again and let us know how the court cases go, won't you? :wave:

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing

I'ts not the stuff inside the ground that bothers me, or indeed my son, that's banter to us.

The stuff outside however, more so away from home, is a bloody disgrace.

I had a chat with my boy about this tonight, and he reminded me of one away in particular, namely Villa .

Just remember when we were kids and went to a 'big' away game with your dad.

Remember the excitment of the day, the train, the game?

Would you have liked it if 2 big twats had wondered if your dad sucked your cock? This is what's going on out there.

Then comes the question, why didn't I complain, or smack him ?

Get real, I've been around the block.

I've noticed, along with my boy, that thew Champion

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How ridiculous. What exactly were they chanting? I've never heard a "homophobic" chant at a football match..

Why would you have? You're not a Brighton fan.

This season so far I've heard the following:

We can see you holding hands - every game

Does your boyfriend know you're here - every game

Stand up, cos you can't sit down - various

HIV, HIV, HIV - Millwall

You're shit, and it's on your cocks - Southampton

Any of these count as homophobic for you?

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
Can you not be bothered to read the rest of this thread?

There are two salient points for you to note here.

Firstly, that the two supporters in question are likely to have said far more than "does your boyfriend know you're here?", in which case it's entirely their own fault if they got nicked, not ours, not the police's, but theirs.

And secondly...why should we give a toss? Do you honestly think any of us give a damn that a couple of Saints fans got nicked, or that you might start to think we have a "reputation" as a result? We already have a "reputation", you tool, that's why the troglodyte element of your crowd were shouting what they did. Personally, I think it's bloody HILARIOUS if they got arrested, and frankly it'll be even more funny if they subsequently get banned.

Do come here again and let us know how the court cases go, won't you? :wave:

What the hell are you going on about? Did I say you should give a toss? (You care enough to have 6 pages of replies, as it goes). Did I say you have a "reputation"? What exactly are you arguing against?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What the hell are you going on about? Did I say you should give a toss? (You care enough to have 6 pages of replies, as it goes). Did I say you have a "reputation"? What exactly are you arguing against?

Ah. My bad. I thought that was your post, when in fact it was a different whinging Saint.

"Orwellian"...now that is you, no? I think you'll find that if you walked down Southampton High Street or whatever the main drag is called in your part of the world, making cock-swallowing gestures, pretending to part your bum cheeks and/or screaming about "faggots", you'd probably find yourself arrested at some stage, so I don't see what the issue is if people are nicked inside a football stadium for doing the same. That's all. It's not really 1984, is it?

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
Why would you have? You're not a Brighton fan.

This season so far I've heard the following:

We can see you holding hands - every game

Does your boyfriend know you're here - every game

Stand up, cos you can't sit down - various

HIV, HIV, HIV - Millwall

You're shit, and it's on your cocks - Southampton

Any of these count as homophobic for you?

"We can see you holding hands" like I said, not homophobic.

"Does your boyfriend know you're here" see above.

"Stand up, cos you can't sit down" LMAO, very funny.

"HIV, HIV, HIV", yes, that crosses the line and is homophobic.

"You're shit, and it's on your cocks" good banter.

Something you must understand is, simply calling someone gay, or implying such, is not "homophobia". Your city has a reputation for it, so fans sing about it because they know it winds you up. Ironically, that makes your fans the homophobic ones, because you are taking offence at it.

But singing about HIV does cross the line. However I've never heard that one at St Mary's and whether it warrants arrest is questionable.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
Ah. My bad. I thought that was your post, when in fact it was a different whinging Saint.

"Orwellian"...now that is you, no? I think you'll find that if you walked down Southampton High Street or whatever the main drag is called in your part of the world, making cock-swallowing gestures, pretending to part your bum cheeks and/or screaming about "faggots", you'd probably find yourself arrested at some stage, so I don't see what the issue is if people are nicked inside a football stadium for doing the same. That's all. It's not really 1984, is it?

No worries, thought it might have been misdirected.

Yes but it's different when it comes to crowds. If you arrest two you've got to arrest the other couple of hundred or thousand. As well as that, the chants aren't directed at a single person. They're directed at a rival set of supporters to wind them up. There's many things that I chant at football matches that would get me arrested if I said them on the street. It's different when you're part of a crowd, chanting at another crowd.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"
"HIV, HIV, HIV", yes, that crosses the line and is homophobic.

"You're shit, and it's on your cocks" good banter.

Something you must understand is, simply calling someone gay, or implying such, is not "homophobia". Your city has a reputation for it, so fans sing about it because they know it winds you up. Ironically, that makes your fans the homophobic ones, because you are taking offence at it.

But singing about HIV does cross the line. However I've never heard that one at St Mary's and whether it warrants arrest is questionable.

But you have no IDEA what they were arrested for singing, so you can't possibly pass judgement on it at this moment in time.

Personally, I don't think "you're shit, and it's on your cocks" is much of a song anyway to be honest, I've heard far wittier. But I could easily see why someone might be offended by it, perhaps someone who goes to a game with their children and has the misfortune to be sat near the sort of tool that would sing that. Or a nice little old lady (we have them in our support too you know) . It's not very pleasant, is it?

Never heard that one on Saturday myself, which to me rather suggests that most Saints fans thought it was a pretty poor effort too. Otherwise they'd all have been singing it wouldn't they.

Why don't you wait until after this matter is done and dusted, then you can legitimately get on your high horse if you still feel the Southampton Two have been hard done by. It's not like you can say you weren't warned either.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
I'ts not the stuff inside the ground that bothers me, or indeed my son, that's banter to us.

The stuff outside however, more so away from home, is a bloody disgrace.

I had a chat with my boy about this tonight, and he reminded me of one away in particular, namely Villa .

Just remember when we were kids and went to a 'big' away game with your dad.

Remember the excitment of the day, the train, the game?

Would you have liked it if 2 big twats had wondered if your dad sucked your cock? This is what's going on out there.

Then comes the question, why didn't I complain, or smack him ?

Get real, I've been around the block.

I've noticed, along with my boy, that thew Champion

I wouldn't have liked it but it wouldn't have particularly bothered me because some people are childish c*nts, that's a fact of life. People like that don't bother me. I certainly wouldn't have expected him to get arrested over it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No worries, thought it might have been misdirected.

Yes but it's different when it comes to crowds. If you arrest two you've got to arrest the other couple of hundred or thousand

That's not practical though. Besides, it's not a defence before a court to say "well everyone else was doing it, your worships". Most of these offences are black & white, ie either you did it or you didn't. It doesn't matter what the others are doing, unless perhaps you could genuinely demonstrate that you feared for your safety if you didn't participate...never gonna happen is it?! The court will only be interested in whether the defendant before them committed the offence, and if they are proved beyond reasonable doubt to have done so, then they'll be found guilty.

Plus if they start plucking out the odd one from the herd, it'll soon stop the other morons doing it...even the stupidest learn eventually...job done.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
But you have no IDEA what they were arrested for singing, so you can't possibly pass judgement on it at this moment in time.

Personally, I don't think "you're shit, and it's on your cocks" is much of a song anyway to be honest, I've heard far wittier. But I could easily see why someone might be offended by it, perhaps someone who goes to a game with their children and has the misfortune to be sat near the sort of tool that would sing that. Or a nice little old lady (we have them in our support too you know) . It's not very pleasant, is it?

Never heard that one on Saturday myself, which to me rather suggests that most Saints fans thought it was a pretty poor effort too. Otherwise they'd all have been singing it wouldn't they.

Why don't you wait until after this matter is done and dusted, then you can legitimately get on your high horse if you still feel the Southampton Two have been hard done by. It's not like you can say you weren't warned either.

Well I thought it was witty. Not the wittiest, but witty. If you're an old lady or someone with a kid, I'd say get over it. It's football. You should expect chants like that. Would you rather everyone came with a little middle-class picnic and sat silently? Nothing wrong with a bit of vulgarity as far as I'm concerned. If people get offended, that's their problem. They should man up.

Unless it was aimed at a particular individual, it doesn't matter what they chanted. If it's aimed by a crowd, at a crowd, it doesn't deserve arrest. It's unfair and over the top.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well I thought it was witty. Not the wittiest, but witty. If you're an old lady or someone with a kid, I'd say get over it. It's football. You should expect chants like that. Would you rather everyone came with a little middle-class picnic and sat silently? Nothing wrong with a bit of vulgarity as far as I'm concerned. If people get offended, that's their problem. They should man up.

Unless it was aimed at a particular individual, it doesn't matter what they chanted. If it's aimed by a crowd, at a crowd, it doesn't deserve arrest. It's unfair and over the top.

Probably hasn't resulted in an arrest, as I've said. Let's wait and see, before i declare them guilty, and you declare them innocent.

liamsfc

Nov 9, 2011
That's not practical though. Besides, it's not a defence before a court to say "well everyone else was doing it, your worships". Most of these offences are black & white, ie either you did it or you didn't. It doesn't matter what the others are doing, unless perhaps you could genuinely demonstrate that you feared for your safety if you didn't participate...never gonna happen is it?! The court will only be interested in whether the defendant before them committed the offence, and if they are proved beyond reasonable doubt to have done so, then they'll be found guilty.

Plus if they start plucking out the odd one from the herd, it'll soon stop the other morons doing it...even the stupidest learn eventually...job done.

You wouldn't be saying that if you were the one unlucky enough to be "plucked out from the herd", thus getting yourself a criminal record. And as I said, not only were they in a crowd, but it was aimed at a crowd. It's not offending one particular person. Yes, if it was said in the streets you'd probably get a talking to from the coppers, but it's very different in a football crowd environment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here