Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton deducted 10 points

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't say they are hard on struggling teams but they are hard on teams living beyond their means as Southampton clearly have been. As were Leeds and as were Leicester (those these two, especially the latter, got away with it, IMO). If you don't want to go into administration then you have to tighten the purse strings and run your club properly.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It's becoming boring because there are some clubs out there who still don't get it. You're right in that most live beyond their means, but those going into administration are then doing so at the expense of the small guys. Didn't Leeds shaft the likes of the local pie man and St John's ambulance while their players still got paid in full?

We're still paying now because in the 70s and 80s we lived beyond our means but the club didn't worm out of it by going into administration, like Leeds, Bournemouth, Rotherham, Leicester and now Southampton.

Saints gambled that they could get back to the prem but it failed. They won't be the last.

One of those clubs you list is already back in the championship. Another one could be in a months time. Another could be in a years. Hardly throwing the book at them if they can pull in 25 to 30 odd k every fortnight anyway.

Fine the clubs that emerge from the ashes of administration or charge them a massive league rejoining fee to be shared amongst the clubs in that division, if they deliberately self distruct. That way they cannot pay players bundles and are penalised on the field by default. If they cannot pay full stop then they close.

the problem with this from a fans point of view is that sentimentality or misty eyed views of who deserves it cloud this. For every Plucky Bournemouth there is a f***ing Leeds.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I got into a particularly bitter row with a Leicester fan in a curryhouse one night (we on someones stag night, and had only met that evening). Leicester had pulled that neat trick of getting a brand new stadium for about £23.50, whilst getting relegated from the Prem, but retaining the bulk of their Premiership squad on those huge wages and bouncing straight back up onto the gravy train the next season.

They took 6 points off us that season, and we were relegated, 5 points from safety. I said Leicester were a bunch of cheating thieving scumbags who used a squad they could not afford, in a stadium they never paid for, to walk all over the Championship at the expense of the other teams who operated within their means. Needless to say he didn't share this point of view, and saw absolutely nothing wrong with how his football club had conducted itself.

I was sitting opposite him, and gleaned some small satisfaction when I gobbed in his bhuna (unintentionally, it was just a bit of spit came out as I was talking, and he didn't even notice).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think those are all very minor points. The bottom line is they wouldn't be in Administration if they lived within their means,

But there are lots of minor points, and they all add up. I know it sounds nitpicky, but say spending £500 a week by getting the more expensive pies, burgers, chips, pasties, drinks, etc to sell at half time, getting the hanningtons club shop instead of the seagulls club shop-sized club shop, getting chartered private flights to away games instead of the coach, staying in a 4 star hotel instead of a 3 star one, or travelling on the day, going for the 25,000 seater stadium with a retractable roof at £60m instead of the 20,000 seater stadium at £40m, etc. are ways of spending beyond your means that don't give you a direct advantage on the pitch.

There arer things clubs over-spend on, other than players, that play a part in a club going into administration.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Last game of the season.

We needed to beat Blackpool in the last game of the season AND either Southampton and Spurs needed to lose. A point for both of them and they both went up instead of us.

They were playing each other - surprise surprise it was an 'after you Claude' 0-0 draw.

Wankers.

Hard to believe it was 29 years ago....!

I,ve mellowed since that day, and now most of my anger has subsided.

I just think of them both as F*cking, cheating, thunderc*nts these days.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But there are lots of minor points, and they all add up. I know it sounds nitpicky, but say spending £500 a week by getting the more expensive pies, burgers, chips, pasties, drinks, etc to sell at half time, getting the hanningtons club shop instead of the seagulls club shop-sized club shop, getting chartered private flights to away games instead of the coach, staying in a 4 star hotel instead of a 3 star one, or travelling on the day, going for the 25,000 seater stadium with a retractable roof at £60m instead of the 20,000 seater stadium at £40m, etc. are ways of spending beyond your means that don't give you a direct advantage on the pitch.

There arer things clubs over-spend on, other than players, that play a part in a club going into administration.
Even if I accepted your argument (which I don't as I still maintain that it's overspending on the 1st team squad that's 99.99% responsible as opposed to the extras you mention) - so what? They've STILL tried to live beyond their means and those extras have made themselves more attractive to potential players thus forcing other clubs to offer, I dunno, 1st class travel and free hookers and drugs in order to compete for signings. And so the problem expands as other clubs overspend to compete. Can you not see that?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
impossible for them to get a cva because of hmrc. be -25 rather than any of those figures above surely, but then we all know how reliable the fl are. ten for admin and the 15 for exiting without an agreed cva.

I was going by the points deductions given to Bournemouth and Rotherham. Unless the FL think they should be treated in the same light as Luton and Southampton start the 09/10 season on -30.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
those deductions were weighted by clubs having a previous admin experience. luton were a slightly different scenario with the illegal payments etc. the precedent is 10 for admin and 15 for exiting without the cva for a first 'offence'

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
One of those clubs you list is already back in the championship. Another one could be in a months time. Another could be in a years. Hardly throwing the book at them if they can pull in 25 to 30 odd k every fortnight anyway.

Fine the clubs that emerge from the ashes of administration or charge them a massive league rejoining fee to be shared amongst the clubs in that division, if they deliberately self distruct. That way they cannot pay players bundles and are penalised on the field by default. If they cannot pay full stop then they close.

the problem with this from a fans point of view is that sentimentality or misty eyed views of who deserves it cloud this. For every Plucky Bournemouth there is a f***ing Leeds.
I think they idea of hitting them in the pocket harder is good in principle but I'm not sure how it would work in practice - they'd just borrow more money to finaince their return. I think it would be better if thye FA dropped the rule that players have to be paid in full as part of coming out of admin. If players thought there was a risk that they might be joining a club over-reaching themselves then they might think twice in the first place if it could hit them in the pocket.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

If i remember also correctly, prior to that game Southampton had not failed to score at home in the last 5 games, and Spurs had also conceded in the last 5 away games.

Stank to high heaven that game

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
those deductions were weighted by clubs having a previous admin experience. luton were a slightly different scenario with the illegal payments etc. the precedent is 10 for admin and 15 for exiting without the cva for a first 'offence'

But Southampton think they are still a Premier League club currently in the wrong division , doesnt that mean -25 is too lenient :lolol:

The Brighton Ace

Nov 14, 2008
Sussex by the sea
Living in Southampton I really do feel for the fans, everyone in the city seems to support them. However, they have been loosing a over £1 million a month so administration has been an inevitability.

I don't think they've been living beyond their needs; they've loaned out some of their best player as they couldn't afford the wage bill.

Evidently they needed the new stadium especially when you look at their aveage attendances in the premier league.

I'm not a Saints fan, I'm just trying to illustrate that they don't really compare to leicester.

On the plus side at least next season we've got Southampton away if we stay up!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Living in Southampton I really do feel for the fans, everyone in the city seems to support them. However, they have been loosing a over £1 million a month so administration has been an inevitability.

I don't think they've been living beyond their needs; they've loaned out some of their best player as they couldn't afford the wage bill.

Evidently they needed the new stadium especially when you look at their aveage attendances in the premier league.

I'm not a Saints fan, I'm just trying to illustrate that they don't really compare to leicester.

On the plus side at least next season we've got Southampton away if we stay up!

I also live in Southampton, and I have to say it is extremely difficult to 'feel for their fans'.

For the most part they are an arrogant bunch of inbred yokels who do not hesitate to look down their big fat noses at the plebs in the lower leagues.

They have found it incredibly difficult to cope with life outside the Premier League and seem to be completely in denial about their current situation.

I wouldn't want to see them go out of business but I would LOVE IT if they struggled next season in League One.

They are the first to pile into other clubs' supporters when the going gets tough but when the boot is on the other foot they start bleating and whining about what a big club they are and how they 'are a Premier League club in all but name'.

What a bunch of TOSSERS.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The attitude of both the administrators and the board is infuriating me. They claim they shouldn't be punished simply because they think the 'technicality' they thought they had expolited has not worked out for them.

As far as I can see they are not claiming clubs should not be docked points for going into administration as a rule.

That's why they are getting no sympathy from me. They seem indignant that they haven't got away with it, when they believe they should have done. Bastards!

Plus I'm another Southampton based seagull, so if we stay up I'll be bang up for the 'away' game next season....:yahoo:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

*COUGH* 31 years.

Still, we got one of the best ever pics of Peter Ward from that Blackpool game.

This one...
preview_695947_1_450x500_0_0__2_ffffff_ffd8b0ae884e45d11fd32d573cb28e7d.jpg

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
As another Southampton based Seagull i have to agree with Hiney.

For very decent Southampton fan i've met there are at least 10 who think they are a premier league club still. Their arrogance when they fell into the Championship was staggering and i'm glad they are now in league one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I also live in Southampton, and I have to say it is extremely difficult to 'feel for their fans'.

For the most part they are an arrogant bunch of inbred yokels who do not hesitate to look down their big fat noses at the plebs in the lower leagues.

They have found it incredibly difficult to cope with life outside the Premier League and seem to be completely in denial about their current situation.

I wouldn't want to see them go out of business but I would LOVE IT if they struggled next season in League One.

They are the first to pile into other clubs' supporters when the going gets tough but when the boot is on the other foot they start bleating and whining about what a big club they are and how they 'are a Premier League club in all but name'.

What a bunch of TOSSERS.

Quite clearly the Saints are utterly skint and deeply in debt and one would expect the Football League, sooner or later, to call the club’s bluff. It may be, in the end, the most positive outcome if they go marching into the Football League Division One; the supporters will still have a club and a healthy dose of realism would not come amiss. Because this is a deeply deluded club, tormented with intimations of grandeur. They are far from alone in being so, of course. Visit Southampton’s official website and you will find, alongside the Save Our Saints! appeal, an article of quite magnificent stupidity, my favourite quote of which reads as follows: “Southampton is indisputably a Premier League club, in all but its league position.” Those are my italics. It is a little like me saying that I am indisputably a love god stud muffin, in all but my continued celibacy. In other words, I could be a love god stud muffin were I not hideous, old and impotent. (Not that I am all of those things, mind. I’m just trying to make a point, you know).

But it is this delusion which will do for Southampton FC, in the end, much as it has threatened to do for a long, long list of similarly deluded clubs – of which Leeds United, Coventry City, Cardiff City and Nottingham Forest are but four, all of whom have found the receivers either marching up the garden path or waiting by the gate. All of whom considered themselves Premier League clubs – in all but reality.

They will no doubt continue telling themselves they are indisputably a Premier League club when they make the trip to Hartlepool next season. Much as Leeds United supporters, similarly afflicted, sang “we’ll never play you again!” to all the small and insignificant opponents they came up against when they were first relegated. Oh yes you will, Leeds. You will play them again and again and again until you get it into your thick Yorkshire heads that this is where you deserve to be. The history of Leeds, remember, is not one of previously permanent residency in the top tier. Not by a long shot.

So long as these teams consider themselves to be playing below their station, they will continue to be in big trouble. Ambition is fine, but not when it is confused with droit de seigneur.

Rod Liddle, The Times, 05.04.09

:bowdown:

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
i alos live near scumhampton, but nearer winchester, over there thay all hate southampton anyway, heres to further penaltys, i say, -50 points next season!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here