Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton deducted 10 points

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The FA are complete wankers, FACT. They're incredibly hard on struggling teams, they couldn't care less could they.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
No, because they still could get relegated without the deduction. If they finish outside the relegation places they will have 10 points taken off, thus relegation them. If they are relegated by normal means the deduction takes palce next season.

I see that now, from the other story.
That seems the fairest way

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Points deductions are becoming far too common and are really starting to ruin just having a good old season where points are awarded (or not awarded) purely for winning, losing and drawing FOOTBALL MATCHES.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
I reckon they should do it this way.

If say for example they would have survived by 2 points. They should have 2 points ddeducted this season, and 8 points next.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Points deductions are becoming far too common and are really starting to ruin just having a good old season where points are awarded (or not awarded) purely for winning, losing and drawing FOOTBALL MATCHES.

But surely you can see why they need to try and stop clubs over spending on dreams of getting back into the Premiership while well run clubs suffer.

It's the fact Leicester got away with it a few years ago has cost all these clubs.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Teams in admin should be exempt from promotion and play offs. The 10 point rule should be applied immediately on entering administration unless relegation is already certain. In that case the deduction would carry over.

Feel sorry for them as obviously we have been in a similar situation, Although looking forward to a southern derby game next season. Hope they can survive as a football club and i agree Deductions are becoming far too common Do the FA not give a bit of lea way in relation to the current global economic crisis.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The deductions wouldn't happen if clubs traded within their means. I think the FL have little option, or clubs would be going into administration all the time and those that run their clubs prudently would be effectively penalised for doing so.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Hard on the fans but that is what football is. You can't choose who to support once you are committed + you take the rough with the smooth. Whilst it is sad for the fans , I'm not to fussed and look forward to hopefully playing them next year on boxing day

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Local radio down here in scummer land says the points will be deducted next season in Div 1. So they seem to think they are doomed already.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
I don't like to see this happen to any team (with a few exceptions of course) but from our point of view it's another good away day next season should we stay up.

Gotta feel for the fans though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The 10 points deduction will be imposed next season if they remain in the bottom 3 and are relegated. What will be interesting is them coming out of the cva and additional points being deducted. Will they start the 2009/10 League 1 season on -10 , -17 or -27 ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Local radio down here in scummer land says the points will be deducted next season in Div 1. So they seem to think they are doomed already.

Not an unreasonable assumption, given they need to win both their games AND rely on other results.

I don't think the FL have much option. Southampton have blatantly attempted to circumvent the rules by introducing this "holding company" into the mix, and then pretending it isn't relevant.

They are in financial difficulty because they have spent beyond their means. If they hadn't artificially improved their position last season by spending money they evidently don't have, then perhaps one of Leicester, Southend or Scunthorpe wouldn't have been relegated (and suffered financial loss as a result)?

It's all very well saying don't punish the fans, but the fans of the teams (teams that manage their finances properly and adjust their playing budget accordingly) who got relegated last season when perhaps it should have been the Saints in their place have arguably suffered more?

Bit of devil's advocate, you know ;o)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It seems unfair to punish the playing side for the sins of those running the club. Punishment should surely be on those that did wrong, the people running the club, not the players.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It seems unfair to punish the playing side for the sins of those running the club. Punishment should surely be on those that did wrong, the people running the club, not the players.

An often repeated sentiment, but when a club does well as a result of dodgy activities off the field, (1) their supporters are happy to enjoy the moment as much as anyone would; and (2) surely the supporters of other clubs who fail as a direct result of the first club's success are being punished too.

Say we were competing at the top of the Championship with another club...let's say hypothetically Plymouth Argyle(unlikely...but work with me here!). Plymouth spend WAY beyond their means, are able to attract players who wouldn't have gone near them otherwise, and grab the second automatic promotion slot. The Albion, meanwhile, are condemned to the play offs and subsequently lose. The next season, Plymouth have secured a tidy piece of the Premier League TV deal pie, and secured their financial future as a result.

Would our fans not thereby be punished as a result of Plymouth's activity? Would you be calling for a merely financial punishment for them then?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
An often repeated sentiment, but when a club does well as a result of dodgy activities off the field, (1) their supporters are happy to enjoy the moment as much as anyone would; and (2) surely the supporters of other clubs who fail as a direct result of the first club's success are being punished too.

Say we were competing at the top of the Championship with another club...let's say hypothetically Plymouth Argyle(unlikely...but work with me here!). Plymouth spend WAY beyond their means, are able to attract players who wouldn't have gone near them otherwise, and grab the second automatic promotion slot. The Albion, meanwhile, are condemned to the play offs and subsequently lose. The next season, Plymouth have secured a tidy piece of the Premier League TV deal pie, and secured their financial future as a result.

Would our fans not thereby be punished as a result of Plymouth's activity? Would you be calling for a merely financial punishment for them then?

Thats pretty much right and we only have to look back to how Leicester got away with it to realise the new leglislation is fair.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the penalty fits the crime, but ultimately this is all about player wages.

This is especially sad because historically Southampton was one of those well-run 'family' clubs who frequently punched above their weight and have had some memorable players.

It wasn't so long ago they reached the Cup Final vs Arsenal and banked a decent wedge on selling Walcott. This is not the end but will put paid to their chances of ever hoping to be a force in the Prem for at least a decade.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The interesting thing at the moment is that they'll probably be relegated anyway.

That would cause some of their better players to leave. If they then start next season minus ten points, it will impact on even more players, who perhaps think they're better than they are, and also demand transfers. They have a decent youth team with some good prospects, but I'm not sure a bunch of youngsters will be suited to League One football.

They could find themselves in trouble again...imagine the Saints in League Two, come summer 2010.

*snigger*

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
Glad to see it happen. Feel for the fans though. If the FL had any backbone like the Conference they would expell any club that went in administration like they did with Boston, who were relegated 2 leagues. They have to send a message to the clubs to be responsible with their finances. I do like how they handled the points deduction this time, make sure not to experience another farce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here