Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sour Grapes from the Aussies

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
None of those news clips at the beginning of the thread looked like sour grapes to me...

As for the rest of the comments on this thread being dragged out, they are tired and old and boring.

We can never win with some of you Brits, you take a pop at us when we beat you, and then you take another pop at us when you're winning. Doesn't make sense. No wonder we like beating you. But then again we like beating most people. Its part and parcel about making sure we are our own people (even if we do have a Union Jack on our flag).

Hello? It was the Australian press that started all this up. Again.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Hello? It was the Australian press that started all this up. Again.

I wouldn't make it into a "but you started it" - that just sounds worse from your perspective...and I'm not sure its true..

It does seem from those reports that you have reporters in Sydney asking Australians the questions to me?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I wouldn't make it into a "but you started it" - that just sounds worse from your perspective...and I'm not sure its true..

It does seem from those reports that you have reporters in Sydney asking Australians the questions to me?

Of course those reporters are asking those questions, on the back of the Australian media whipping up the Brit-hating sentimentalist claptrap in their newspapers. It's a repeat of the 2003 Rugby World Cup where one of the Aussie papers had a picture of Jonny Wilkinson with the caption 'Is that all you've got?' For whatever reason, they just hate Britain doing well.

I know the British press is WELL capable of behaving exactly the same. However, if Australia had pissed GB out of sight, I don't reckon we'd be getting an anti-Australian slant from them.

In a way, it's a back-handed compliment, and it shows that they spend time thinking about our achievements, which is more than the British press would care about Australia beating us.

I'm sure the rest of sports-appreciating Australia is sagely muttering a reluctant 'well done' to Team GB.

We're sporting rivals of Germany as well, yet there's been none of this anti-British crap from their media.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Of course those reporters are asking those questions, on the back of the Australian media whipping up the Brit-hating sentimentalist claptrap in their newspapers. It's a repeat of the 2003 Rugby World Cup where one of the Aussie papers had a picture of Jonny Wilkinson with the caption 'Is that all you've got?' For whatever reason, they just hate Britain doing well.

I'm sure the rest of sports-appreciating Australia is sagely muttering a reluctant 'well done' to Team GB.

We're sporting rivals of Germany as well, yet there's been none of this anti-British crap from their media.

Ah well - your opinion which you're obviously not going to be swayed from, mine is rather different....

Stumpy Tim

Of course those reporters are asking those questions, on the back of the Australian media whipping up the Brit-hating sentimentalist claptrap in their newspapers.

What the f*** are you talking about. The headlines this week have been about a whale called Colin (today renamed Collette after it was discovered the whale was female) who got lost in Pittwater and died today. There's only one person talking claptrap today I'm afraid, and he used to own a TShirt shop

Stumpy Tim

My point exactly.

Olympics takes a back seat to Vanessa Feltz lookalike.

That's sulking.

No... Your point was that Australian's press are moaning and groaning about how the Brits are beating the Ozzies. But I live here and I know it's complete bollocks. A whale is more important. The Ozzies are talking more about their own medals rather than worrying about the Brits. Yes there are a few columns about the Brit's success but it's mainly light-hearted banter. That's what Oz/UK rivalry is all about.

Who can forget Sir Clive Woodward's famous comment when he entered Passport Control in Sydney in 2003. The passport guy jokingly said, "do you have a criminal record" and he responded, "I didn't realise I still needed one". Could have been taken the wrong way, but was seen as a light-hearted joke at Australia's expense. I dread to think how the UK papers would have taken an equivalent put-down

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Even their country is a British achievement, they just live there now drifting slowly off the radar of the world.

Australia - Come Here if You Can't Make a Fist of It in Britain

Just like "Britons" greatest achievements were by foreigners?

You must be some kind of prize dumbarse to not understand how much of it's own history and language was imparted upon it by others.

I guess that makes England a French/German achivement then going by your genius theory.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
oh pack it in mate I will wipe the floor with you on the history of Britain, its internal influences and its influence on the rest of the world, let alone the part others played in the development of the British Empire.

You are just splitting hairs. 1000+ years of England as a nation state and the best thing you can come up with is erm well erm you know britain has been invaded by all sorts and the language is originally from a german tribe. zzzzzzz mate rubbish argument.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Absolute f***ing nonsense. I was at the World Cup Final and I was amazed at how good-natured the Ozzies were at losing on their home ground. They were partying & laughing with the English. Let's compare that to England's history in football.... good old punch-up sorts everything out.

Did you see the interviews of Grant Hackett & Libby Trickett after they lost their swimming finals (for which they were tipped to win)? Nothing but compliments to the winners. No excuses, just lot's of Well Done's

Don't judge Australian's by that TWUNT Ponting.

And by the way, on those links that PenGOON listed. The second one has a 3 second interview with an Ozzie and the rest is the British boasting about their wins. Exactly what people say they don't like Australians for.

Personally I think the UK/Oz rivalry is very well humoured & great for the sports we compete in. We'll inevitably get raped at the cricket again next year though

Seconded, too many myths blown about the Aussies often, I have a good laugh with most I know.

Last edited:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
What the f*** are you talking about. The headlines this week have been about a whale called Colin (today renamed Collette after it was discovered the whale was female) who got lost in Pittwater and died today. There's only one person talking claptrap today I'm afraid, and he used to own a TShirt shop

Didn't know the whale had a sudden sex change no wonder its big news!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
strewth

by chance (and as I'm covering a bit of holiday leave) I'm off to the Australian Embassy on Thursday to discuss a new project.

May pop into Marks and Sparks before and get myself a shiny gold tie

:)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have a feeling that all the speculation about what the Aussie papers are alleged to have said is more a spot of our tabloids displaying their usual jingoism rather than the truth. At the end of the day who cares anyway ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here