Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sour Grapes from the Aussies

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't recognise Britain, it's a silly concept.

About time the Scots and Welsh were able to compete as seperate nations.

No more ridiculous than claiming to be a country with a distinct culture when you are speaking someone elses language, are full of someone elses people, and have someone elses head of state as yours.

Australia - just an Overspill Town for Britain.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Am I the only one to think the Olympics has become a farce anyway?

It used to be good because it was an amatuer competition.

Now you have Ronaldinho, Le Bron James and Roger Federer running around worth countless millions while you have other athletes who struggle to train and survive on a mere pittance compared to these millionaires.
Yes you probably are. The entire Olympic movement is not a farce simply because a handful of millionaires are milling about.

I don't disagree with your point regarding these sporting superstars, but the games are a welcome distraction from the tedium that is the Premiership and wall to wall coverage of our embarrassing soccerball millionionaires and average Scotch tennis twats.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All this talk about sour grapes from Aussies is a bit embarrassing really. Lets face it, what do you expect from them when a British commentator walks up with a microphone and says "oh look - the medal table says we're better than you. discuss" ?

At the end of the day, the Aussies are better than us at nearly every sport, including every single Olympics since Montreal in the 70s.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
All this talk about sour grapes from Aussies is a bit embarrassing really. Lets face it, what do you expect from them when a British commentator walks up with a microphone and says "oh look - the medal table says we're better than you. discuss" ?

At the end of the day, the Aussies are better than us at nearly every sport, including every single Olympics since Montreal in the 70s.

Hang on a mo - did anyone stick a gun to that Australian bloke's head and demand he vomit his own grief?

In the words of Big Ted and Jemima - 'they started it'. :p

:waves flag and goes all Daley Thompson:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The aussies have embarrassed themselves for donkeys over sport, using it to define them as they have zero sense of identity apart from barbies surfing and corked hats. Even their country is a British achievement, they just live there now drifting slowly off the radar of the world.

Australia - Come Here if You Can't Make a Fist of It in Britain

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think this taunting of Australians is very unsympathetic. Because it must be very galling for their racist thickies to see so many BLACK Britons doing so well.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
The aussies have embarrassed themselves for donkeys over sport, using it to define them as they have zero sense of identity apart from barbies surfing and corked hats. Even their country is a British achievement, they just live there now drifting slowly off the radar of the world.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

larus

I'm Aussie born and bred.

So I am a we :lol:

Australia isn't in a lowly position, I think we are doing ok.

5th most medals overall is a top effort for a country our size.

The reason why we aren't percieved to be doing well probably has less to do with money and more to do with the majority of our young athletic men playing Australian Rules or Rugby.

Those two sports take up a huge amount of young men who if they played Olympic sports would possibly be some of the best in their chosen sports.

On what basis? Because they're Australian?
Wonder why Australians seem to get peoples backs up?
:shrug:

Be interesting to know how much money gets pumped into Australian sport in general. Someone said to me the other day that there are more Olympic sized swimming pools in Sydney than there are in the whole of the UK - don't know if that's true, but if it is, would seem to blow a hole in the 'lack of investment in Aussie sport' argument.

Stumpy Tim

Well to be fair, half of Australia does go to make a Britain "to make a fist of it", and then half of Britain goes the other way. The difference is most of the British stay in Australia, while the Australians go home.

One major difference I notice is the obvious pride in being Australian. If a team loses, 99% of the time they are encouraged & given airtime. I've lost count of the number of Australian athletes who literally thank Australia during their interviews. Compare that to the TWUNTS who represent England at football. This is probably why they're more successful because the pressure isn't the same as the English teams who get booed off the pitch if they draw to one of the best teams in the world.

I LOVE being Australian & British.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Some very interesting points on this thread........

I would say though that I have no desire for Scotland to try and compete in the Olympics on their own - despite my vibrant hatered of the football Team England - and that is more about the attitude, the personnel and the approach - rather than the country - I like being part of the UK.

We may have beasted each other over the years but to be frank in the last 200 years or so most Scots would accept that we are a good cousin to our neighbours.

OUtstanding military record, fought together side by side - and the banter around the football is fantastic.

But have a national side compete in the Olympics - that would be kinda end of an ear - and would be sad.

No - lets carry knocking shite out of each other in the football and rugby - and then have a drink, get together at the Olympics and piss all over the Aussies.

Loveley.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Australia is f***ing wicked. As sportsmen I hate them because they are so bloody good at most sports including my beloved CRICKERT but as people they are well sound I reckon, apart from the drunks and the racists that are part of any society that is. If i could be bothered I'd porbably go and live there, it's WELL better than here you know.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have to say, that on the whole, the majority of Australians I have met have been a good laugh.

Before I settled down, I worked on a Kibbutz in Northern Israel, for a couple of months. We had many nationalities working and living together.

Whilst the Brits, Irish, Aussies, Yanks and Canadians all shared the same language, we were polls apart in culture, humour etc.

The Brits, Irish, and Aussies were on one side of the divide and out atlantic cousins were on the other. It wasn't that we disliked each other, we just had more in common with the Irish and the Aussies. Piss taking went on all the time but in good spirit - the only rule was that if you dished it out, you had to be able to take it! The Americans and the Canadians would quite often miss the point and take offence.

I think we have a healthy sporting competition with the Aussies. We love to beat each other. Long may it continue!

I hope I'm right about the Aussies. I'm off there shortly for a month! Can't wait!:drink:

Stumpy Tim

I have to say, that on the whole, the majority of Australians I have met have been a good laugh.

Before I settled down, I worked on a Kibbutz in Northern Israel, for a couple of months. We had many nationalities working and living together.

Whilst the Brits, Irish, Aussies, Yanks and Canadians all shared the same language, we were polls apart in culture, humour etc.

The Brits, Irish, and Aussies were on one side of the divide and out atlantic cousins were on the other. It wasn't that we disliked each other, we just had more in common with the Irish and the Aussies. Piss taking went on all the time but in good spirit - the only rule was that if you dished it out, you had to be able to take it! The Americans and the Canadians would quite often miss the point and take offence.

I think we have a healthy sporting competition with the Aussies. We love to beat each other. Long may it continue!

I hope I'm right about the Aussies. I'm off there shortly for a month! Can't wait!:drink:

Spot on

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
None of those news clips at the beginning of the thread looked like sour grapes to me...

As for the rest of the comments on this thread being dragged out, they are tired and old and boring.

We can never win with some of you Brits, you take a pop at us when we beat you, and then you take another pop at us when you're winning. Doesn't make sense. No wonder we like beating you. But then again we like beating most people. Its part and parcel about making sure we are our own people (even if we do have a Union Jack on our flag).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think Aussies are so full of bravado to make up for the fact that they are made to wear shorts to school until they are 18.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here