Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sorry to get political but.......

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would not doubt Harty story but the bit that sounds a lttle funny is the bank account name, perhaps he didnt see the actual cheque and was just told the name.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
the pensioner was probably paying with their Pension Credit from DWP

three out of three............no problem

D

Deleted member 2719

Just another good reason for people not to vote Labour next time round.

:nono:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

For God's sake, I pray that no-one votes Labour next time but make it for genuine and well-founded reasons. Not on the basis of this proto-Daily Mail story.

EDIT - and no, Harty, I didn't miss the point. The only thing I can't quite understand is how you let yourself get worked up by this when you know so little about the story.

Last edited:

It seems that any Tom, Dick or Abdul that lands on our shores claiming to be an asylum seeker gets welcomed in with a detached house for him, his wife and 8 kids, where they get council tax benefit, job seekers allowance and any other benefit/allowance going

Wrong. Completely wrong.

Nearly all benefits are not available to nearly all asylum seekers. The only exceptions are: those who claimed asylum status before April 2000; nationals of Zaire and Sierra Leone resident in this country no later than 1997 who claimed asylum status within three months of May and July (respectively) of that year; those receiving benefit prior to February 1996 (although this doesn't apply to Job Seeker's Allowance); nationals of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Turkey or EEA member states.

Even then, those exceptions only apply to five types of benefit - all others are not available to any asylum seekers.

As you can probably imagine, these exceptions apply to only a very small proportion of asylum seekers.

So, you see, this impression you have - God only knows where from, other than to say "a source of ignorance" - is entirely wrong.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yeah, well good luck in a worldwide recession with a couple of old Etonian NiceButDim chinless wonders steering the good ship UK then. Hope you get the government you deserve :thumbsup:

Was it not Ken Clarke that wrestled the country from a state of oblivion to one that would prosper? That is until Brown managed to overcook things by signing blank cheques willy-nilly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
the pensioner was probably paying with their Pension Credit from DWP

three out of three............no problem

Irrespective she will still repay it out of the minimum amount the gov say you need to live on. They will not raise her entitlement to cover it.

In my case, husband and wife they set a figure but I get £1 per week less because I didnt pay poll tax at 1 pub as I argued the owner should have paid but I lost. I then said I couldnt afford to pay it in 1 payment so they set it at £1 per week from our pension.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Then you obviously know nothing about the respective parties views on the matters.

If you think the situation will change if the Tories get to power, you should read up on what they are discussing at the moment.

They are even talking about extending benefits....

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Then you obviously know nothing about the respective parties views on the matters.

If you think the situation will change if the Tories get to power, you should read up on what they are discussing at the moment.

They are even talking about extending benefits....

maybe he means he will vote for the BNP...

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
My alternative interpretation of this political thread is that your mate seems to have some good business in hard times, so that's good news. Hoorah for the Keynesian successes coming to the workers and the economy of Britain! I presume at least he'll he voting New Labour to ensure that this continues?

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Never mind Harty mate, you might have lost this battle, but you will continue to prosper through the credit crunch! After all, you're in a recession busting trade so you'll never be out of work and need to rely on these benefits to live!

The one thing that does puzzle me though, is why does the government decide a pensioner needs £125pw to live on, but me claiming JSA only needs £60? My expenses are higher than the pensioner as I wouldn't usually have the benefit of free bus travel (I do personally but it isn't related to my JSA) or a Winter Payment to cover my fuel costs. I also have to pay full TV licence too!

It's not a complaint, but an observation really. I appreciate the fact that most pensioners have paid into the system for a lot more years than I, but it does seem strange that the difference in allowance is so vast!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That was my first thought actually.

Even if the local Council has handed over a check, the money had gone straight back into the local economy.

Unless he buys his carpets from Africa in which the whole story gets very very complicated.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That was my first thought actually.

Even if the local Council has handed over a check, the money had gone straight back into the local economy.

Unless he buys his carpets from Africa in which the whole story gets very very complicated.

Steady now, AVS and CG. Don't go muddying a classic NSC immigrant/single mum thread with this sort of nonsense. We don't need to know anything more than a single mum and an asylum seeker are getting a carpet gratis and a tax-paying British pensioner (I'm almost tempted to say WHITE pensioner) has to pay for it. Allegedly.

Actually, I'm offended that no-one has called me a bleeding heart liberal yet...

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
So if ive read all this right i can fook off to nigeria get myself a nice pad (carpet included),£500 spending money a car that i dont have to insure tax or mot,run some innocent joe public over, get away with it cos im a jolly foriegner claim off the victims insurance for the damage to my car,claim the jam roll and basicly live out my days sorted,because im scared the peoples front of judeah want to chop the tip of my knob off so i cant go home? Quality ile start packing. this fooking countries a soft touch and every other country knows it end of.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Sorry Tom I can only go on what I was told. As it turns out if required the DSS pay for funerals in full for newly arrived people in this country.

What are we supposed to do, leave the rotting corpses in the street? Pay to fly them back 1st class on BA?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here