Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who won't make the step up to the Championship?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
We need to also take into consideration the quality of coaching at the club at present. I can't think of one player who has either stood still or gone backwards whilst Poyet has been at the club. Each and every player in my view has made great strides and I can only see further improvement.

Take Ashley Barnes I was never a big fan at the start of the season, but he has developed into a far better player than I ever imagined he would be. Over the years we have seen a lot of wasted talent at the Albion due to poor coaching or attitude, the only thing stopping our players now is attitude as they cannot blame coaching or any other aspect of the clubs setup.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I remember Calde against Villa. I remember he held his own, more or less, against England international wingers Young, Milner and Downing at some stage in the match or another. Think he'll do fine. I think people are worried after he had a game or two off last season... don't think it'll be a problem. I sense it is a concentration thing and he won't get complacent at this next level. If he does he will get bitch-slapped by Gus.

Don't want to speculate who may or may not make the step up as I am completely unqualified to make that kind of judgement. Haven't got a f***ing clue, hope they all do well.

is the correct answer.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If anything, Gary Dicker is MORE suited to the Championship to League One. I fully believe he will make the grade and be an important part of our team next year.

I'm interested to see how El-Abd does. His height may become an issue. Before anyone jumps down my throat - I don't think you have to be 6ft 4 to be a centre back BUT the higher up the leagues you go, his height is more likely to be taken advantage of by QUALITY big centre forwards. I really hope he's up to it.

The problem with Dicker is that he gives the ball away SO OFTEN! I think he'kk play second fiddle to Sparrow at the start of the season and will be out of the picture if we sign another central midfielder.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
The problem with Dicker is that he gives the ball away SO OFTEN! I think he'kk play second fiddle to Sparrow at the start of the season and will be out of the picture if we sign another central midfielder.

I don't suppose the club agrees as we've just given him a new contract...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The problem with Dicker is that he gives the ball away SO OFTEN!

When he's good he's very good and when he's bad he's very bad. I think he'll do OK in this division as he is likely to have a bit more time on the ball.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
50 games at championship level -- albeit not all as a back -- already. He's been around a lot longer than you think.

AEA - hard and deceptively quick with a leap like a spawning salmon... POTS in a championship winning side. BEAST and more likely that the big boys will be trying to tempt him away come Jan 2012.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
I think it's a team game and they will all do just fine.

We were outstanding last year not because of one or two great players but because of a great style and some good team play.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cool>>>>>>>>>>

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Will be interesting to see how Barnes does same with hoskins, both scored goals last year, hope they both can cope with the championship.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Barnes needs 10 to score 1, still very young and might cut it in years to come but just not this season

Below is a simple table of goals ratio, according to stats from the Football League website (distorted perhaps, as I don't know how many penalties were scored by each player).

Barnes has the third highest conversion rate of chances on target and the second highest conversion rate of all chances.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 155

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton

Really? Even though Sparrow was playing second fiddle to Dicker at the end of last season? Why do you anticipate a sudden swap over in roles considering Dicker was by far the best of the 2 last season?

I know Sparrow has Championship experience, but I would have thought he's got to prove he can fit into our way of playing before strolling into the team because he's played in that division before?

Dicker is very good at keeping the ball despite what a lot of people say about him on here. On a lot of occasions he has 2-3 opposition players closing him down & he comes out of it with the ball still at his feet. He has off days, as do everyone else. He'll be good for us this season.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
People have been putting Sparrow ahead of Dicker since he signed, for no reason that I can see. I quite like Sparrow but he doesn't really seem to fit in with how we play, often he seemed to want things too early and then just get in the way. Maybe he'll do better on a bigger pitch this season, but still he doesn't have the passing quality of Dicker so that seems like an odd reason to put him in instead.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Really? Even though Sparrow was playing second fiddle to Dicker at the end of last season? Why do you anticipate a sudden swap over in roles considering Dicker was by far the best of the 2 last season?

I know Sparrow has Championship experience, but I would have thought he's got to prove he can fit into our way of playing before strolling into the team because he's played in that division before?

Dicker is very good at keeping the ball despite what a lot of people say about him on here. On a lot of occasions he has 2-3 opposition players closing him down & he comes out of it with the ball still at his feet. He has off days, as do everyone else. He'll be good for us this season.

I hope he does have a fantastic season but I get th feeling the pre-season has pushed Sparrow up the pecking order. I just think Dicker can be careless.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm a big fan of Matt Sparrow because he is technically very good and gets involved all over the pitch. He has an edge about him which I like aswell, pkus he scores goals. I have always liked Gary Dicker aswell because he has such an amazing range and quality of passing. My ideal midfield would be Dicker and Sparrow playing in front of Bridcutt with any two wingers and 1 up front. The fluid style we play would release Sparrow to get forward, which I think is his strongest position. Maybe Sparrow's debut double at Swindon atill sways my opinion but I thought he was underrated by a lot of people last season.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
I seriously believe given the chance, Barnes will prove to be top quality this season. just something about his attitude...............feel he could score a hatfull.

Last edited:

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Elphick & Brezovan. They'll be gone in 12 months.

Sparrow will need to be assessed further.

Poyet has overall done extremely well in his choices of the many released in Summers 2010 and 2011. He'll have no regrets on any departees.

Barnes is a bloody good player, young, works his socks off, and has come on really well under a great coaching team.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus got rid of the players he knew wouldn't be good enough for this season. I'm sure he'll make some further trimming once the season is underway with players going out on loan if they have a few dodgy training sessions. If another 3 or 4 players are brought in to strengthen the side it could be curtains for Spaz and Elf as they become reserve team regulars.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I hope he does have a fantastic season but I get th feeling the pre-season has pushed Sparrow up the pecking order. I just think Dicker can be careless.

Firstly, love the use of "pecking" order when talking about Sparrow. :lolol:

Secondly, I hope they both have good seasons. I just hate that people dismiss Dicker as being 'careless', when he created more chances than most last season (ignoring Bennett). He fits in perfectly to Gus' way of playing.

I can see them both starting with Bridcutt in the middle when we play 2 wingers and 1 striker or 2 strikers & a roaming attacking midfielder/winger.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the problems will be in defence, but we'll have to see. We're certainly not as good a team as Norwich were.

I also think a good start is vital for confidence, just a couple of early wins to show you can cope at the new level. Whatever they say in public, all the players, and even the manager, will need some reassurance on that point.

Millwall are the best example of this last season. They had a lot of borderline Champ/Lg One players, but believing from September they could cut it did wonders for their season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here