Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who won't make the step up to the Championship?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Finally some sense. Painter is going to get dicked on all season. No pace, immobile and limited.

Really?

Did you see any games last season?

Have a little faith in the coaching/management of the club fella, paints is championship quality.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Really?

Did you see any games last season?

Have a little faith in the coaching/management of the club fella, paints is championship quality.

I would love to be proved wrong, i just think Championship is a big step up, playing stronger, faster more physical players. I agree he was one of our most consistent last year, if not the most consistant but i see him struggling against quicker players. If he came up against a Lua Lua, Routledge, Sinclair i just think it will be a non event.

I have bundles of faith in Gus and the coaching team and if the decide Painters the man then obviously im 100% behind that and i would love to be proved wrong. I just dont have a good feeling

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I suspect Gary Dicker is the most likely, may not get away with losing the ball in dangerous areas so much.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I would love to be proved wrong, i just think Championship is a big step up, playing stronger, faster more physical players. I agree he was one of our most consistent last year, if not the most consistant but i see him struggling against quicker players. If he came up against a Lua Lua, Routledge, Sinclair i just think it will be a non event.

I have bundles of faith in Gus and the coaching team and if the decide Painters the man then obviously im 100% behind that and i would love to be proved wrong. I just dont have a good feeling

He cant come up against any of those 3 wingers at the moment, so im sure he will be alright!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I suspect Gary Dicker is the most likely, may not get away with losing the ball in dangerous areas so much.

Yep he is the one that stands out for me I would be quite surprised if he starts as much as did last season. I wait to be proved wrong though

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Southampton :~)

I am not overly worried, but because of the current injury situation, the defence is looking pretty lightweight. I am sure Gus is trying to address this as we speak.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
A lot of mixed opinions on this thread already... That's footy for you I suppose.. Don't forget, Gus hasn't finished bringing in players yet.... Gus has played at the highest level and has the experience to know what he needs in his opinion and he'll get it right!

I don't think this thread has been posted in regards to being negative.. Just fans asking/debating opinions which I believe is fair enough. After all surely that is what a footie forum is all about..

We all stand together on where we want our club to be and questioning players ability to make it happen is a fair enough debate IMHO!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
i dont know if people are talking about the step You all seem to agree that we will finish mid table So that tells me they will all step up Surely if your looking for a top half finish then you start asking who would make it in the prem ?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

I don't think we need to be too worried about Painter. He doesn't need to make the step up - he is one of the more Championship-proven players we have in our current squad. Many Swansea fans considered him to be a decent left back at this level, but was unlucky that when he came back from injury, his replacement had been playing particularly well.

horam267

Feb 24, 2010
As much as it pains me to say, Tommy Elphick.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
i dont know if people are talking about the step You all seem to agree that we will finish mid table So that tells me they will all step up Surely if your looking for a top half finish then you start asking who would make it in the prem ?

Good point. I think the club are aiming for top 10 MINIMUM. I dont think they would of sold the club to CMS by saying were aiming for mid table mediocrity this season. Everything TB has come out and said says he's aiming for the playoffs, in that hes said as much. I think there will be a couple more signings and more spending. The players weve paid money for and no doubt the wages were paying and the manager we have, i dont think its beyond the realms of possibility to aims for a playoff challenge. IMO of course

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton

If anything, Gary Dicker is MORE suited to the Championship to League One. I fully believe he will make the grade and be an important part of our team next year.

I'm interested to see how El-Abd does. His height may become an issue. Before anyone jumps down my throat - I don't think you have to be 6ft 4 to be a centre back BUT the higher up the leagues you go, his height is more likely to be taken advantage of by QUALITY big centre forwards. I really hope he's up to it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I worry for Dicker. I love the guy and adored his gentle, weighted touch, but do worry about the effects of him losing the ball and being out of position then. Mistakes generally get punished the higher up you go. Hopefully the training he has put in has given him a greater understanding of just where he is so that his inch-perfect passing allows LuaLua and Noone to roar down the wings.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
I agree with a few of the concerns on here.
There is no way on earth Brezovan is a championship standard keeper.
Likewise I worry about Ankergren a little. He was covered by a rock solid defence last season but he will see a lot more action this year thats for sure. Will he be up to it? Not sure. I hope so as I like the guy. We shall see.

Greer is a little slow and flat footed for me. He is going to have to rely on his positional play to get him by, because he certainly isn't going to keep up with some of the pace he is going to face this season. Likewise Painter and El-Abd, although I think El-Abd will be ok as he has been playing so confidently for the best part of 18 months now.

I agree Calderon has got to watch himself. He does sometimes get caught out or lose position. Last year he got away with it when he did but this year he will get punished. I think it will happen and he will learn from it and ultimately be ok.

I think the rest of the regulars will be ok but I still think we need some height up front. If the Derbyshire rumours are true he would be perfect. 6,1' and scores goals, like a superior Glenn Murray. We will be facing some pretty powerful centre backs this year, CMS and Hoskins could really do with an experienced presence up top to play them in, like Glenn did for Barnes a lot last season.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
No concerns over any of the regulars from last season. They were so far above league 1 level that they should adapt well at championship level. And the size of our squad means any players found out can quite easily be replaced, plus we have the january transfer window and potential loan signings.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I really don't think there are any players in the current squad who stand out as not having the ability to play at Championship level.

Obviously some will struggle individually against certain opposition tactics - indeed sometimes we will struggle collectively as we saw last season. Everyone has personal strengths and weaknesses and players will have off days and make mistakes from time to time just as they will have brilliant games. Do we have any players who you could say now will regularly play below par? Come to that do we have anyone who will regularly perform above par?

Ankergren will be challenged by Brezovan - we have already seen that in pre-season. Casper has the gloves based on his distribution ability as much as anything and knows he cannot make mistakes because Brez is probably a better shot-stopper. I wouldn't worry about his motivation to perform but he will have to get used to the opposition putting someone quick up against him to hurry his distribution along.

Calde and Painter/ Vincelot and Tanno - one exceptional going forward will need to be covered from midfield (it worked last season with Benno so why not this with Buckley) and the other who may lack some pace but whose positioning is excellant. Not too much to worry about there. Tanno remains a quality player when fit and Romain with his ability to outjump much taller players will get plenty of game time - I think he will surprise many.

Greer/Dunk/ElAbd/Elphick - With our captain there to exercise his exceptional organisational abilities I have no special worries once injuries clear up but we lack a bit of muscle without Adam and playing a rookie for the first month may be an unecessary risk. I'm sure Gus will bring someone in. Don't expect the starting pairing to continue together all season but we have some real talent coming through.

Dicker/Sparrow/Bridcutt/Navarro - expect Bridcutt to improve and flourish with Navs as cover in case of injury/loss of form. Spaz and Dicker will both benefit from more space so no reason they can't do well. My concern is that whoever slots in to centre midfield needs to provide much more effective defensive cover as, in my view, that is where we got caught out lasst season. For that reason expect another signing, someone who can pass or run with the ball and who adds height.

Buckley/LuaLua/Noone/Jamie Smith we know what Noone and kazenga bring to the party and guessing Buckley will be asked to play the Benno role covering the full back and slotting in behind the central striker as well as doing his thing out wide. He will take a bit of time to settle to that role and I think we might bring in another winger who can also play advanced central midfield. If he does then Jamie Smith may be the casualty from the curent squad which is a shame but I think he lacks the height to cover as flexibly as we need and the muscle to compensate for what we sometimes lack in midfield.

Mackail-Smith/Hoskins/Barnes - perm 2 from 3 with another whose strength is heading the ball still to come - as Gus says about new signings "they need to bring us something different" and that is the main skill we are missing

Bergkamp/Agdestein/Caskey - these boys will come in and come through as the season progresses. All show real ability to make it given time and opportunity which the reduction in subs won't have helped.

Interesting question is who will go out on loan. My money is probably on Agdestein/Caskey/Dunk

Last edited:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I really don't think there are any players in the current squad who stand out as not having the ability to play at Championship level.

Obviously some will struggle individually against certain opposition tactics - indeed sometimes we will struggle collectively as we saw last season. Everyone has personal strengths and weaknesses and players will have off days and make mistakes from time to time just as they will have brilliant games. Do we have any players who you could say now will regularly play below par? Come to that do we have anyone who will regularly perform above par?

Ankergren will be challenged by Brezovan - we have already seen that in pre-season. Casper has the gloves based on his distribution ability as much as anything and knows he cannot make mistakes because Brez is probably a better shot-stopper. I wouldn't worry about his motivation to perform but he will have to get used to the opposition putting someone quick up against him to hurry his distribution along.

Calde and Painter/ Vincelot and Tanno - one exceptional going forward will need to be covered from midfield (it worked last season with Benno so why not this with Buckley) and the other who may lack some pace but whose positioning is excellant. Not too much to worry about there. Tanno remains a quality player when fit and Romain with his ability to outjump much taller players will get plenty of game time - I think he will surprise many.

Greer/Dunk/ElAbd/Elphick - With our captain there to exercise his exceptional organisational abilities I have no special worries once injuries clear up but we lack a bit of muscle without Adam and playing a rookie for the first month may be an unecessary risk. I'm sure Gus will bring someone in. Don't expect the starting pairing to continue together all season but we have some real talent coming through.

Dicker/Sparrow/Bridcutt/Navarro - expect Bridcutt to improve and flourish with Navs as cover in case of injury/loss of form. Spaz and Dicker will both benefit from more space so no reason they can't do well. My concern is that whoever slots in to centre midfield needs to provide much more effective defensive cover as, in my view, that is where we got caught out lasst season. For that reason expect another signing, someone who can pass or run with the ball and who adds height.

Buckley/LuaLua/Noone/Jamie Smith we know what Noone and kazenga bring to the party and guessing Buckley will be asked to play the Benno role covering the full back and slotting in behind the central striker as well as doing his thing out wide. He will take a bit of time to settle to that role and I think we might bring in another winger who can also play advanced central midfield.

Mackail-Smith/Hoskins/Barnes - perm 2 from 3 with another whose strength is heading the ball still to come - as Gus says about new signings "they need to bring us something different" and that is the main skill we are missing

Bergkamp/Agdestein/Caskey - these boys will come in and come through as the season progresses. All show real ability to make it given time and opportunity which the reduction in subs won't have helped.

Interesting question is who will go out on loan. My money is probably on Agdestein/Caskey/Dunk

Excellent post, and I agree with pretty much all of it apart from the very last word. I think Dunk will be seriously challenging for a first team spot this year and could see him going above Elphick in the CB pecking order.

waterhouse

Feb 22, 2009
somerset
I don't know why so many fans are worried?
We pissed the league last season!
We finished on the same points as Norwich did when they got promoted and we had a better goal difference. And look where Norwich are now! I believe we can achieve the play offs at least!
And remember we still have another 3/4 signings to come. And we have some of the best strikers and wingers in the championship, especially the legend that is kazenga lua lua.
:bhasign: :albion: :falmer: :ascarf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here