Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who won't make the step up to the Championship?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Am not going to pick out individuals as I think they all have the potential to do very well, but I am concerned about the way we defended set pieces last season and to me this points to maybe a lack of overall height in the side. This may be resolved by a few more signings in the window, if not it is going to need a lot of work on the training ground and organisation during a game.

Another fault was not converting penalties, but hopefully the CMS signing should have resolved that! If we would have done that better we probably would have won the league with 8 games to spare....especially seeing as one of them was in the 0-0 against the Stains.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wierd how people see a completely different game.

How anyone thinks painter will struggle is beyond me. For starters he dropped a division to come to us and was already good in the championship for Swansea until he got injured. He was probably our most consistant player last season.

I actually don't think any of this squad will look out of place, but obviously some will step up and improve more than others. The ones who don't will find themselves on the bench.

I agree. Painter was the best player against Huddersfield during the last game at Withdean. He stopped a certain one on one goal, with Gus bowing down in admiration.
I think most of the players will step up but there will be odd silly mistakes when they're tired and the concentration goes, but looking at how the 3 promoted sides fared last season, I think we will cope quite well.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
From the games i have seen, Ankergren would give me the most concern. Does make mistakes and i got the impression the defence were not overly confident in his abilities. Distribution is good though which is key to the way Poyet plays.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I think it depends who else is around them. Remembering back to the first Withdean season at this level our defence improved immeasurably once ingamarsson and blackwell reinforced the team yet it still included Kerry Mayo who'd been looked out of his depth before

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i bet the players that read these,will love this thread ffs

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I would love to be proved wrong, i just think Championship is a big step up, playing stronger, faster more physical players. I agree he was one of our most consistent last year, if not the most consistant but i see him struggling against quicker players. If he came up against a Lua Lua, Routledge, Sinclair i just think it will be a non event.

I have bundles of faith in Gus and the coaching team and if the decide Painters the man then obviously im 100% behind that and i would love to be proved wrong. I just dont have a good feeling

That's fair enough and we all have varying opinions, mine is that each of the current players we have are here on merit and ability according to Gus/tano/Charlie, whatever does happen though I'm sure a few will underperform and others will unexpectedly shine. But I will be surprised if paints falls into the first category.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Ah, the omnipresent 'Is Adam El-Abd good enough?' debate.

50 games at championship level -- albeit not all as a back -- already. He's been around a lot longer than you think.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I remember Calde against Villa. I remember he held his own, more or less, against England international wingers Young, Milner and Downing at some stage in the match or another. Think he'll do fine. I think people are worried after he had a game or two off last season... don't think it'll be a problem. I sense it is a concentration thing and he won't get complacent at this next level. If he does he will get bitch-slapped by Gus.

Don't want to speculate who may or may not make the step up as I am completely unqualified to make that kind of judgement. Haven't got a f***ing clue, hope they all do well.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Don't want to speculate who may or may not make the step up as I am completely unqualified to make that kind of judgement. Haven't got a f***ing clue, hope they all do well.

This is undoubtedly the most accurate thing I've ever read on NSC. None of us see the players enough, day in day out, to know how much extra they've got and how they will adapt to the way we'll play in the Championship.

I don't see why any of the regulars from last season would struggle. They all have the talent to play at a higher level as they proved by being far too good for League One. Some will manage to maintain their form consistently and will be in the team every week, others may be on the bench more but none of them will be outclassed.

As soon as we go down the lazy "is El Abd good enough?" route, you know the thread's pointless. He may not be Rio Ferdinand but he showed time and again last season he's an exceptionally solid, committed defender who reads the game superbly. So many people listen to the self-appointed 'experts' far too often and ignore the evidence in front of their eyes.

The only difference this season is that we won't be able to play everyone off the park like last year. But why don't we just see how the players get on before judging whether they're good enough?

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I really think all our first teamers from last year will make the step up. It's not the Premiership FFS. Some will struggle in some games but to be honest mid table is (realistically) what we want and the likes of Calde, Greer, El-Abd, Painter, Sparrow, Bridcutt, Barnes and Noone are more than capable of that.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Note that the WHOLE division isn't a "step up", many of the bottom teams are probably no better that Brighton/Southampton before any signings were made. We did beat Pompey and Watford after all.

The bottom teams of a given division aren't a step up from the top of the lower division, in many cases they may be worse. Once you look further up the table, of course, clearly there is a step up and we'll see if the players are capable. I certainly think most of them are up for it though so we'll see.

If we had made NO signings, I would hope that we would escape relegation (even if just!), however we HAVE made a number of signings, a few very promising ones too so I suspect we won't do badly. If the players all perform and Gus gets his system working well, get a couple of PS loaners and anything's possible. A fair fews "if's" there, granted.... :D

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't agree with anyone that says Calde isn't a good defender, for me the question mark over him is will he still be able to attack as much as he does without us getting caught out on the counter attack by better and quicker opposition than we have been playing against.

But he can defend, if it happens then we will just have to rein in his attacking a bit.

Ankergren is the main one I'm not convinced about, but Gus thinks he's good enough so we'll just have to see. :smile:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm in the camp that all the players deserve a crack at the division before judgement is passed. We pissed League 1, which shows clearly a lot of the side IS fit for the Championship.

And to show how worthless this thread is, nobody's suggested Roland Bergkamp won't be up to it but I think he's more likely to struggle than, say, Calderon or Painter who have played with the bulk of the squad for some time now.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
i think Dicker needs to up his game
Nav wont cut the championship and if he does stay i see a loan move in his future
Greer i think will struggle with his lack of pace (he did at Doncaster a few years ago at this level)
Calderon needs to improve defensively but is a top player and i really hope he does make the step up!

and

Barnes needs 10 to score 1, still very young and might cut it in years to come but just not this season

Bergkamp will be part the development squad and therefore i doubt will play to much

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
For me it is not individuals that worry me but it is if the team and gel nicely and play the football they did last season. With all these new faces lets hope it does not take long for this to happen.

but FWIW i do not believe Elphick, Brezovan, Navarro or Dicker will be good enough to step up. But who knows what will happen. There are always suprises (eg el-abd last year)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here