Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So who won't make the step up to the Championship?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's a certainty that not all of Gus's squad will cope in the Championship, so who in your opinion will not make the grade?

Mine:

Brezovan, Just think he's a division above his mark
Calderon, exciting going forward, but defensive capabilities?
El-Abd, improvement last season, but can he improve further?

I'm going to throw Dicker in as he was in my opinion inconsistent last season and got caught too many times in possession. Great player on his day.

I'm not 100% convinced by Ankergren either, but when the alternatives are Brezovan and Poke then hopefully Ankergren will step up to the mark, but I feel we need a strong reserve keeper to keep the pressure on him, something Brezovan is not really doing at the moment.

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
You didn't just say that Calde can't step up to the championship did you ???

Really ?? :shrug:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
It's a certainty that not all of Gus's squad will cope in the Championship, so who in your opinion will not make the grade?

Mine:

Brezovan, Just think he's a division above his mark
Calderon, exciting going forward, but defensive capabilities?
El-Abd, improvement last season, but can he improve further?

I'm going to throw Dicker in as he was in my opinion inconsistent last season and got caught too many times in possession. Great player on his day.

I'm not 100% convinced by Ankergren either, but when the alternatives are Brezovan and Poke then hopefully Ankergren will step up to the mark, but I feel we need a strong reserve keeper to keep the pressure on him, something Brezovan is not really doing at the moment.

Personally I'm with you an all of the above but will be delighted if proved wrong!

I also feel that when we are in possession we look fantastic, but without the ball we sometimes look a bit frail and panicky!

I'm confident we will be at least a decent mid table side though!

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Understandable concerns , however gus has always said the key to the way we play is that we keep the ball. I fear we will not keep the ball quite so well this season.

As for players

Casper. Not worried. Leeds fans voted him level with Casper scmichael and that says it all for me

Calderon. This guy is class. League one team of the season. I think that justifies his abilities for a crack at the championship. Goes back to possession if we have the ball and he is getting forward all is good. If not then things don't look so good.

Agree with concerns about centre backs

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Calderon. This guy is class. League one team of the season. I think that justifies his abilities for a crack at the championship. Goes back to possession if we have the ball and he is getting forward all is good. If not then things don't look so good.

Agree with concerns about centre backs

I didn't get to many games last season (due to work commitments) but I did go to Brentford away and hopefully that was just an off night for Calde... He had a stinker IMHO... I'm not judging on just one game because everyone including Gus thinks he's class so I'll go with opinions and trust that he will be fine...

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Ah, the perennial 'Is Adam El-Abd good enough?' debate.

Irrespective of what my opinion is (and FWIW I think he is far better than many on here make out), Gus thinks so - that's good enough for me.

I've noticed that Greer seems to jumping into the debate too. Mental, he's one of our most valuable players.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I didn't get to many games last season (due to work commitments) but I did go to Brentford away and hopefully that was just an off night for Calde... He had a stinker IMHO... I'm not judging on just one game because everyone including Gus thinks he's class so I'll go with opinions and trust that he will be fine...

I was at that game and agree he had a bad game overall, wasn't he booked, or was it sent off?

My view is that Painter might be out of his depth. CMS might not be so productive with the tighter marking he'll get in the Chamionship.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It's always quite difficult to tell who will make the step up and who won't.
The last time we won L1 I was surprised a lot of players didn't make the step up but Chippy did (not that I ever thought he wasn't any good).

I think Ankergren might not make the step up.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I love Calde but I think he's gonna get roasted by some of the wingers in this division., I think Painter may as well, there I've said it.

We also need some height and muscle at the back or we are gonna concede hatfuls from set pieces.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Wierd how people see a completely different game.

How anyone thinks painter will struggle is beyond me. For starters he dropped a division to come to us and was already good in the championship for Swansea until he got injured. He was probably our most consistant player last season.

I actually don't think any of this squad will look out of place, but obviously some will step up and improve more than others. The ones who don't will find themselves on the bench.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
I've got no doubts about Calderon making the step up, anyone who doesn't think he is good enough can only be basing this on our last few games when we were already champions. However I don't think painter is quick enough to cope with the best wingers at this level.
I don't think Navarro is mobile enough without the ball either.
I think we will dominate possession in nearly all our games and in answer to one of the above posts, what teams look good when they don't have the ball?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Whilst well intentioned is there any need for this sort of negativity before a ball has been kicked in anger ?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
I think we will dominate possession in nearly all our games and in answer to one of the above posts, what teams look good when they don't have the ball?

i think this is the key - when we have the ball - all are good enough, it will be about who is not good enough when we don't have the ball, and in this i hope the back 5 prove good enough.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think most of the squad is decent enough to survive in the championship. In my opinion it is the defenders who will face the biggest challenge and step up in class. I am concerned about Calde getting caught out of position if he marauds too far forward, with Kaz, Noone and Buckley available I hope Painter and Calde are free to concentrate on defensive duties a lot more this season.

As for keeping the ball, I think our new pitch was designed with this in mind and hopefully will help us.

I have no fear of relegation this season, but the top of the division will be very competitive and strong and I would be surprised to see us make a serious dent in the top six.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
I love Calde but I think he's gonna get roasted by some of the wingers in this division., I think Painter may as well, there I've said it.

We also need some height and muscle at the back or we are gonna concede hatfuls from set pieces.

Finally some sense. Painter is going to get dicked on all season. No pace, immobile and limited.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
All retained first team squad players will make the step up... IGWT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here