Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what do some people on here actually want?

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
A manager who can stop the team being shithouse

I'm as pissed off as anyone about our results and league position but lets look on a bright side for a change! We have had no ground for 13 years and very nearly went out of the league. We are shortly going to have one of the best stadiums in the country and have a chairman that is blue and white who looks like he is willing to dig deep, where would we be without him? Things could be so much worse! We have a manager who I'd love to succeed here and still think he will even though I think he made his first bad decision Saturday that could have cost us the game. We all make mistakes and Gus will learn I'm sure. We have played pretty well last 4 games and could easy of had 4 pts more which would have put us mid table! If that was the case I think that there would have been alot more positivity on here. We all love the Albion and all get hacked off when results don't go our way, but slating everyone is not the answer. I think the team is looking as strong as it's been for a few seasons now and I think it will get better and better.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I have never felt as poistive about a manager for years. Would like to have seen results by now, but very much believe they will come.

The problem with this argument is it essentially boils down to suggesting that you are not in a position to criticise the club or team unless you have played or coached at a similar level, which is clearly crap.

Most people accept most of the decisions the management team make, but there are times, Carole being a good example, when this trust is genuinely tested. There are, of course, other times when you trust a manager and they prove why you do - Navarro's recent performances being a good example.

As for players, even if you can't do it yourself a fan is perfectly capable of picking up weaknesses in a player's game, they might not notice the subtler elements of their game but it sometimes doesn't take an expert to criticise someone like Dickinson for not winning enough balls in the air.

Ok, yeah I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course that is part of the game, but I'm sure you'd agree that the quality of opinions from such people who have no experience of football/coaching at a decent level (myself included) will range massively from well thought out considered opinions and instantanious reactions such as when we lose ("we're crap"...) and when we win ("we're a good team").

Personally I think there is a real danger when people jump on board the bandwagon when things have gone badly and go hunting for scapegoats. This has clearly happened since the Norwich game and my concern is that this is becoming one of the many reasons (and I emphasise the word 'many') why we are so poor at home.

The question I ask is this... which team are we? The team who on home form is marooned at 2nd bottom of the table, or the team who on away form are impressively in 5th place (I was presently surprised when I just looked this up on Football 365). Having been to many away games this season, I suspect with a change of attitude at home and more confidence, we are actually far better than our present position suggests. Improving that home form has to priority number 1 for Poyet and I'm sure it is.

That's my opinion anyway...

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Suggesting we are better than our current league position suggests is the first step to getting relegated. Most people took until about March last year to accept we were in a relegation fight, and it will probably happen again now.

I'd say if the choice is between 5th or 23rd I'd say as a team we're still closer to the home form, but if we can harness some of the quality we show away from home and put it on the pitch at Withdean we will be fine - time is quickly running away though.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Blimey.

The sooner that everybody completely disregards the UTTER SHIT that gets posted on here about managers, tactics, etc, etc, etc....then so much the better.

I genuinely believe NSC has played a very large part in getting our last 3 or 4 managers sacked.

A few attention seeking internet gimps ( and you know who you are) who know f*** all about anything in life, let alone football management, does not by any stretch constitute the voice of the fans.

I can't believe anyone thinks NSC has an impact on our managers being sacked! Only a small minority of Brighton fans (by fans I mean people that ACTUALLY go to home and away games) use NSC.

Managers futures are decided by results, attendances and the fans mood i.e. through boos, singing, clapping etc. I doubt Tony Bloom is concerned about what a bunch of people who have listened to games on the radio, or who have seen the highlights post on a message board.

Suggesting we are better than our current league position suggests is the first step to getting relegated. Most people took until about March last year to accept we were in a relegation fight, and it will probably happen again now.

I'd say if the choice is between 5th or 23rd I'd say as a team we're still closer to the home form, but if we can harness some of the quality we show away from home and put it on the pitch at Withdean we will be fine - time is quickly running away though.

It's not the fact suggesting that we are better than our league position that will get us relegated, it is entirely down to our home form - and yes if that doesn't improve we are nailed on to go down. I think we are capable of improving the home form and our away record suggests that the players aren't terrible and are capable of better, there is just a MASSIVE problem at home. 10 home defeats by mid Feb is either due to a terrible team (not born out by away form) or a real mental/psychological/confidence issue with playing at home.

Yoda

English & European
3. Top class manager, got Brighton playing well, extremely respected in the game, took Brighton to a play off win and Championship football- castigated on here as he had "lost the crowd"

I didn't castigate MM for that. I castigated him for giving up on matches before they started and "experimenting" with the team, when the previous season he didn't and we got some points out of those games.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Ok, yeah I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course that is part of the game, but I'm sure you'd agree that the quality of opinions from such people who have no experience of football/coaching at a decent level (myself included) will range massively from well thought out considered opinions and instantanious reactions such as when we lose ("we're crap"...) and when we win ("we're a good team")

Your argument has a certain credance, as in if people that go along to Withdean week in, week out, did have experience of playing or coaching at a reasonable level, we would soon have gates of about twenty people, as nobody would go up there for the sh*t that is served up, week in, week out...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
my point was that in essence Brighton fans are never happy with the manager, whoever it is.

Is very much the correct answer. Never ceases to amaze me that people who have never played the game as a professional can always have greater insight than whoever our current manager is.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Indeed. Just go to any Man U board and you will find moaners and groaners!

We ain't unique. :lol:

Exactly - we've established this a few times.

Read ANY football message board and you could virtually substitute one team name for another, one players name for another. There is nothing extra-negative or any less moany about NSC. It's tiresome but it's a fact of messageboards.

On the flip side, I don't know how many local newspapers are so waffer thin on journalists that they lift (or create) stories directly from the local teams messageboard - as the Arsegas do - or resort to employing the opinions of barely literate supporters in "blogs". So I suspect like it or not, NSC can contribute fan the flames of any wider discontent that may already be out there via its influence over the local rag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olliebha

Jan 17, 2010
Brighton
I want Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Forster back in the squad, a first home league win since October and last but not least for Poyet to stop making stupid subs!

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Its not rocket science why we are so poor. Its because the players are not good enough.

The ground massively plays its part, because good players simply dont want to play at Withdean. So we end up with dross. Lets be honest, we havent exactly had to fight off teams for the players we have signed. They are either players who aren't good enough or players that are potential.

We are still 18 months away from Falmer. Seems like tomorrow for us, but for good players its a sizeable chunk of a potential contract with us.........unless we are gonna sign players on 5 years contracts.

Until Falmer is here, or maybe next close season then we will be able to sign good players. Hopefully this lot can somehow get us out of this mess. But I'm beginning to doubt it.

To be honest even if did go down to L2, would it be a disaster? I think we could bounce back straight away. Of course it would mean playing first season in L1, but so what. Other teams have started life in their new ground in leagues below that........Hull, Doncaster.

One thing if for certain. Getting rid of Poyet is not the answer

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Its not rocket science why we are so poor. Its because the players are not good enough.

The ground massively plays its part, because good players simply dont want to play at Withdean. So we end up with dross. Lets be honest, we havent exactly had to fight off teams for the players we have signed. They are either players who aren't good enough or players that are potential.

We are still 18 months away from Falmer. Seems like tomorrow for us, but for good players its a sizeable chunk of a potential contract with us.........unless we are gonna sign players on 5 years contracts.

Until Falmer is here, or maybe next close season then we will be able to sign good players. Hopefully this lot can somehow get us out of this mess. But I'm beginning to doubt it.

To be honest even if did go down to L2, would it be a disaster? I think we could bounce back straight away. Of course it would mean playing first season in L1, but so what. Other teams have started life in their new ground in leagues below that........Hull, Doncaster.

One thing if for certain. Getting rid of Poyet is not the answer

Generally agree - apart from the fact that I think it is a disaster to go down

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Disagree - Poyet has been very vocal in talking up two players who have at times been severely criticised on NSC - Navarro and El-Abd. Why do you think that was? I have no idea whether Poyet himself logs on, I suspect not, but he is obviously aware of fans thoughts, whether through listening to the crowd or hearing reports of fans opinions.

There was also an interesting article in the paper yesterday about Kevin Davies who says he regularly reads message boards and chatrooms - I bet there are some players who do visit NSC.

Certainly under Wilkins, there were players who logged on to NSC to read the fans' opinions. It pissed him off royally that that happened, and suggested to his players - and it was mainly the younger ones - that they didn't do it.

Suffice to say, NSC was never one of Wilkins' favourite aspects associated with the Albion.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
The quality of the play at times is much improved under Gus Poyet. The defence is now playing so much better, and, if Murray can get a goal or two at home, his confidence will go up so much and he'll get a load more. I don't think we'll go down, but we need to concentrate right to the end of the game. I genuinely thought we were the better team for so much of the match on Saturday, against the side that are top. Surely we need to get behind them!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would have liked to stick with Wilkins.

Generally though I just want a team which is better than Brentford, Orient and other shitty teams with less resources than us in this division.

I don't think that is too much to ask.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It seems asinine to appoint a manager for his first job and then expect him to be the finished article immediately.

Let him get on with it. We need a long term appointment. And Poyet was not responsible for Wilkins going. Patience is the key.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
1. Young manager leaning his trade after being an excellent coach - Wilkins - castigated on here as too defensive and the team "lucky" to finish 7th

2. Experienced manager, took Brighton to two championships - castigated on here as the second spell the team did not perform

3. Top class manager, got Brighton playing well, extremely respected in the game, took Brighton to a play off win and Championship football- castigated on here as he had "lost the crowd"

4. An experienced manager at lower league standard, experienced in rescuing teams from dire situations.....did just that - castigated on here as not good enough

5. A young foreign manager, trained as a coach...getting his team together BUt essentially a third division team of third rate players not required by better clubs....Now rumbings starting about his abilities.

So, who would you like as a manager assuming we have tried every other type of manager and as we are in the arse end of the football league, you are not going to get a Wenger

In other word, what the f*** do you expect?

Your flaw here is that you treat NSC as a single mind, one opinion. It isn't. It's hundreds of minds, hundreds of opinions.

Yes, there are people on here who call Wilkins's 7th place finish as lucky, but there are also people on here who thought he was there on merit.

There are people on here who were unhappy with Adams's second stint, but there were also people on here who were determined to 'keep the faith'.

There are people on here who, to this day, defend Mark McGhee and will fight his corner.

And so on.

Yeah, some people are complaining about Poyet, but most aren't.

You will never get complete agreement no matter who is in charge. There are too many people here, too many views and opinions on what football should be, what is important, what is the best way to play, etc.

If you start to accept this, it becomes easier to tune out the sillier anti-manager stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here