Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, what are the chances that a regular away fan will be able to get a ticket....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Excellent post. I realise my initial response lacked charm, but I was riled by this whole ridiculous idea that away fan regulars deserve any sort of priority when clearly they don't, coupled with this lame "I'm a student" excuse, as if his lifestyle choice is everybody elses fault. As you allude, I was a student once, and had to think twice about the Albion games I went to. And I'm not a student anymore and all of last year and the year before that also had to think carefully about spending money watching the Albion. So I find a trifle irriating that some student type is moaning on here that he can't be guaranteed a seat when he has contributed f*** all to the club and has decided through personal circumstance that he won't buy a season ticket.

Quite.

As an aside (sort of) I was tidying up our spare room last night, which involved going through racks of hundreds of CD's, all bought for a tenner a pop, on at least a weekly basis, when I was a student 20 years ago. At no point in my life since then, have I had that kind of disposal income.

Yes, your budget as a student is limited, but you are paying for beer, food, hobbies (football), beer, music and beer.

Wait until you're a grown up, and see all the new exciting things you get to pay for, like a mortgage, maintenance of your house, council tax, water rates, gas, electricity, TV licence, your children's education, etc, etc. Don't assume us OLD people are all awash with spare cash, because ir just doesn't work like that. Sure, I can find the money for three Albion season tickets for my boys and I, together with £20 worth of fuel for every home game, but its at the EXPENSE of other luxuries, like foreign holidays.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I like the sound of this.
Will away games attended this season contribute to the points?
How many points start will 1901 club members get?

which presumably means you will only get points if you buy tickets for away games via the club shop ( paying an extra £2 for "booking fee"). If you make your own way an pay on the day, presumably the club will not credit you with a point

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
which presumably means you will only get points if you buy tickets for away games via the club shop ( paying an extra £2 for "booking fee"). If you make your own way an pay on the day, presumably the club will not credit you with a point

How could they?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Put simply.

Get organised. The day you know they go on sale book the day off and either ring the ticet office or go into the shop.

It really isnt difficult.

Or just get a ticket in the away section.

This! Getting pretty tired of the sob stories now. The club have a brand spanking new stadium to fill and have to find an additional 11 -12,000 home fans to prevent it becoming a white elephant, and they are doing a good job of it so far. The ticketing priorities seem pretty fair to me, no system is perfect, you just have to get on with it. if you are really motivated to get a ticket then you should be able to get one, just keep an eye on developments and be prepared to move when the time is right.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
that is what I meant. sorry if I didn't make that clear.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I usually get mine in person (mainly because I don't trust the post) so the £2 booking fee isn't a problem for me.
In addition the club gets a small percentage of the sale if you buy from them rather than POTG.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
As a student, you are bound to have the odd night out. I venture to suggest that those nights out cost in the region of £40. Therefore, if you cut one out a month then you can afford the DD for a ST. It's all about choices and making a few sacrifices.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I usually get mine in person (mainly because I don't trust the post) so the £2 booking fee isn't a problem for me.
In addition the club gets a small percentage of the sale if you buy from them rather than POTG.

I understand that the club will be operating a points system for away games which is what many of the regulars wanted but yes you will have to purchase from the club for them to register the sale. get your tickets at the office no booking fee.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
this ticket thing proving alot of conversation....maybe a) get a st, or blue membership or just apply when released for the 5,000 odd left !

The problem is even with 5,000 tickets available there is likely to be 30,000 wanting to apply for the first home game (20,000 who have never even watched Brighton or are armchair Prem club fans)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The problem is even with 5,000 tickets available there is likely to be 30,000 wanting to apply for the first home game (20,000 who have never even watched Brighton or are armchair Prem club fans)

Let's hope you're right about those 20,000 because they are exactly the people the club need to be attracting if we have any ambitions of becoming a 'big club'. Welcome the 20,000 potential new STH's.

My thoughts on the OP's point-being a regular away fan entitles you to nothing (rightly so in my opinion) for home games, especially if you happen to be one of the 'never going to Withdean because it's shit and I only go to away games' crowd.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
I bet there will even be a few season ticket holders on this board unable to make the first match and selling on their ticket. All it takes is an *inconsiderate* mate or relative of them or their partner getting married on that day and a wedding they cannot get out of...

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I think it's absolutely disgusting to imply that if I haven't got 400 quid as a student living 400 miles away from Brighton, with a JOB at weekends to help me live at Uni at all in the first place, to pay for a season ticker, then I don't deserve to visit Falmer at the same time as anyone else. Get a f***ing grip. I'm 21 and have supported this club since I was old enough to kick a ball, none of you have any more right than me, bollocks, absolute bollocks to that idea in some thickhole brains on this board. You lot need to accept that were not all here with a full time job and a safe lifestyle, some haven't got to that stage of our lives yet, I didn't realise that indeed it was expected that we suffer at the expense of you because of it. But no, fair play to you all, I'll see you elitist pigs at Falmer, and the fact that I'll have basically camped out overnight outside the ticket office will make it all the f***ing better when I take my seat in the same ground as you.

One less night out a MONTH to pay for a whole year's season ticket. Oh the drama.

A lot of us have been there and done it, so don't preach to us about how it's oh so tough being a poor student. You clearly don't want it badly enough, otherwise you would make that one SMALL change to your lifestyle.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Let's hope you're right about those 20,000 because they are exactly the people the club need to be attracting if we have any ambitions of becoming a 'big club'. Welcome the 20,000 potential new STH's.

My thoughts on the OP's point-being a regular away fan entitles you to nothing (rightly so in my opinion) for home games, especially if you happen to be one of the 'never going to Withdean because it's shit and I only go to away games' crowd.
Sadly , there won't be another potential 20,000 STH's just for now , some of these will be the people who went to Cardiff for the play off final and their previous trip was to Wembley in 83. The glory hunters only appear for the big games and they'll be able to tell their grandkids that they were at Falmer for the first home game. Some regular away fans live 300 miles from Brighton so their only opportunity is to watch the stripes playing away and not because Withdean is shite.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Plus the tickets bought from the shop/online are often £2 cheaper than pay on the day.

:amex::albion1:

It's quite simple; there's going to be a massive rush for tickets for at least the first couple of games, meaning that not everyone that wants to go is going to be able to. Those in that situation will, I'm afraid, have to suck it up, and simply look forward to the first game that they are able to attend. I am currently a white member, and will be getting blue membership for next season, but realise that this far from guarantees me a ticket for the first game. However when I do eventually make it to the Amex for my first game it is going to be an incredible feeling.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Sadly , there won't be another potential 20,000 STH's just for now , some of these will be the people who went to Cardiff for the play off final and their previous trip was to Wembley in 83. The glory hunters only appear for the big games and they'll be able to tell their grandkids that they were at Falmer for the first home game. Some regular away fans live 300 miles from Brighton so their only opportunity is to watch the stripes playing away and not because Withdean is shite.

That is why I said "if".

My tuppence worth:

Regular on the North Stand from 1980 to 1997, not every week but more than i care to remember.
Never went to Priestfield.
Have attended Withdean 5 to 6 times per season since 2000 for financial reasons.

I now find myself in a position where if i give up my Golf membership i can afford a season ticket, which i am going to do.
Does this mean that someone is more deserving than me to attend because they regularly go to away games and am i a Johnny come lately, glory hunting plastic fan.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Could this work?

For the first game only, ban all away fans and use the away stand for all those non-sth - away fans only ex-pats, who really would like to be in the Amex for that special first game.

If we don't, then all the unlucky ones will be trying all tricks to get in to the away end.
Anyway, with the first game being so special, why should we allow another team's supporters to take up this much prized, vaulauble viewing point in OUR NEW ground?

No doubt there is some FA rule that says away fans cannot be exculded - but for a one-off surely this would go someway to meeting the demand?

I'd love to be at that first game, I've followed the Albion on and off since 1967, never been a sth, now live 250 miles away and do about 6 aways each year - I'd pay £40 for a seat for the day.

Option 2/ Share the first match - empty the stadium at half time and let the other 16k fans in for a taste for the second half - hmmm maybe not ....

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I have looked into getting a season ticket for next season but it really doesnt work out for me mainly due to travel problems. I even considered buying a season ticket just so as i could be at that first game, but no, that would be silly imho, i know some of you have done exactly this and thats up to you. I wont upgrade to blue membership or anything else because, one day i will get down to the Amex, it will be when it suits me and as Sten_Super said above it will be special to me.

I do understand people wanting to be at the first game but in 10 years time when you tell anyone willing to listen that you were at that first game, they will probably just say, oh right or yeah so was i mate. However come August next season whatever division we are in and whatever opposition we are playing, i will still wish i had been there but hey ho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here