Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Maybe Potter is very pleased with the way last years forwards have come on and decided we don’t need anyone. I see no problem with starting with what we’ve got and seeing what happens for a few games. Still plenty of time to get someone in if not.

All I see is lots of bang average players being panic bought into teams for far too much money

OMG a sensible opinion on the situation - take note B.w.2

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I was initially infuriated by the loan move of Muzza, but if Potter isn't going to play him, then what's the point in keeping him around.
I assume a similar discussion was had relating to Andone and Locadia last season.

Potter's players are all expected to be adaptable. Maupay and Connolly may be our only out and out strikers, but I suspect Trossard/Ali J/Mc Allister could all do a job at a pinch.

I wouldn't say the situation is desperate just yet.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Recent articles have had Potter talking about the fact that Andone is returning to us, although won't be fit to play until Christmas, and that he's been impressed by Gyokeres. Im assuming opinion at the club is now that a new £20million striker that'll score loads of goals would be nice but if that can't be found then having Maupay, Connolly, Gyokeres, and Andone (from Xmas) as striker options is not a terrible situation. & if Andone is willing to give things another go then I'm starting to agree, especially if that £20 million can be spent elsewhere. Also add to that we could see Trossard or AJ play as a striker if we really had an emergency.

....saying all that id still love us to splash some cash on someone new.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Recent articles have had Potter talking about the fact that Andone is returning to us, although won't be fit to play until Christmas, and that he's been impressed by Gyokeres. Im assuming opinion at the club is now that a new £20million striker that'll score loads of goals would be nice but if that can't be found then having Maupay, Connolly, Gyokeres, and Andone (from Xmas) as striker options is not a terrible situation. & if Andone is willing to give things another go then I'm starting to agree, especially if that £20 million can be spent elsewhere. Also add to that we could see Trossard or AJ play as a striker if we really had an emergency.

Unlike a normal season, for Andone if he is ready mid-December, that will only be 12 games in or so, and he could be in contention for 2/3rds of our games.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Maybe Potter is very pleased with the way last years forwards have come on and decided we don’t need anyone. I see no problem with starting with what we’ve got and seeing what happens for a few games. Still plenty of time to get someone in if not.

All I see is lots of bang average players being panic bought into teams for far too much money

b.w.2 will be frothing at the mouth when he reads this.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

A good half season from Andone is in all parties interests. I'm sure we'll get that from him on the understanding he can move on next summer if he wants.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If we can’t get better than what we have then what’s the point? Maupay was the better striker from Brentford, Connolly I’m hoping will be a real success this season and will possibly score more than Wilson.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Of course he hasn’t.

Makes sense. So happy to slate the club and recruitment team for not doing their job properly, whilst offering no suggestions nor having the faintest understanding of what challenges the job might entail.

Tony Bloom has already provided over a THIRD of a BILLION to this club, and some people are suggesting we just go off and spend god-knows what on a proven PL striker. When those don't actually exist for much less than £50m. It's mental to be having these conversations. Building a squad capable of competing in the PL is unbelievably expensive, and the club are doing this in as sustainable a manner as they can, whilst still having an ambition to play good football and compete. If we don't get a striker in, it is not because the club don't want to, it's because there are no suitable options that we could land. Remember that we only control a few of the elements; how much we can afford in transfer fees, how much we can afford in wages, and how attractive we are. That has to be set against; what others will pay, what the selling club wants, what wages the player expects, and what opportunities other clubs can offer.
There is a hell of a lot there that we do not control.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Totally agree, I'm really relaxed about the situation. Personally if we signed no one else this window I think we'll be fine with the adaptable manager and squad we have.

I'm more excited about watching the progression of the players we already have than any potential new signing.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Makes sense. So happy to slate the club and recruitment team for not doing their job properly, whilst offering no suggestions nor having the faintest understanding of what challenges the job might entail.

Tony Bloom has already provided over a THIRD of a BILLION to this club, and some people are suggesting we just go off and spend god-knows what on a proven PL striker. When those don't actually exist for much less than £50m. It's mental to be having these conversations. Building a squad capable of competing in the PL is unbelievably expensive, and the club are doing this in as sustainable a manner as they can, whilst still having an ambition to play good football and compete. If we don't get a striker in, it is not because the club don't want to, it's because there are no suitable options that we could land. Remember that we only control a few of the elements; how much we can afford in transfer fees, how much we can afford in wages, and how attractive we are. That has to be set against; what others will pay, what the selling club wants, what wages the player expects, and what opportunities other clubs can offer.
There is a hell of a lot there that we do not control.

This, with bells on. There's also that tired accusation that the recruitment team are seemingly sitting there doing nothing - I'm sure they're busy working on targets (in various positions, possibly - the players that is, not the recruitment team!) but keeping it all very quiet to (a) not alert others to maybe a below the radar player (e.g. Veltman coming in for c.£900k) and (b) to keep prices from inflating (e.g. Mr Tumble's selling price last season, which seemed to increase when they got enquiries). If they know Brighton are "desperately" after a striker, for example, and Brighton enquire about a player that might fit the bill, do you think they'll try and get as much as they can for said player? I suspect so...that's normal business practice.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The losses from last season will also be a factor here.

It's possible that we are rethinking the Andone situation in the light of this.

As it stands his transfer value is £0 and a suitable replacement is £25m+
If he can be re-integrated into the squad, he would be a decent option IMO.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
If we can’t get better than what we have then what’s the point?

1. Injuries.
2. 'something different'

Up to a point I agree though. I won't get TOO upset if we end up with what we have, but it feels risky, so I suspect that won't happen.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If we can’t get better than what we have then what’s the point? Maupay was the better striker from Brentford, Connolly I’m hoping will be a real success this season and will possibly score more than Wilson.

well partially cover. even a non-scoring forward who has positional awareness, can effectivly press, hold ball up is better than having a team of midfielders. otherwise opposition will push up too easily

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The losses from last season will also be a factor here.

It's possible that we are rethinking the Andone situation in the light of this.

As it stands his transfer value is £0 and a suitable replacement is £25m+
If he can be re-integrated into the squad, he would be a decent option IMO.

The main thinking about Andone currently is probably "he is injured for about six months and cant play".

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The main thinking about Andone currently is probably "he is injured for about six months and cant play".

The latest info. seems to suggest he'll be available Xmas / New Year. If he's available for Wolves at home on 02 Jan, he will have only missed 15 games. Given he'd be 3rd or even 4th choice behind Maupay, Connolly, Gyrokeres, it's not bad to have cover back for the remaining 23 games.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The latest info. seems to suggest he'll be available Xmas / New Year. If he's available for Wolves at home on 02 Jan, he will have only missed 15 games. Given he'd be 3rd or even 4th choice behind Maupay, Connolly, Gyrokeres, it's not bad to have cover back for the remaining 23 games.

I thought Gyokeres was going out on loan to Swansea.
I see that Potter is now saying that he wants to take another look.

Sounds like a deal or two has fallen through for us.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This, with bells on. There's also that tired accusation that the recruitment team are seemingly sitting there doing nothing - I'm sure they're busy working on targets (in various positions, possibly - the players that is, not the recruitment team!) but keeping it all very quiet to (a) not alert others to maybe a below the radar player (e.g. Veltman coming in for c.£900k) and (b) to keep prices from inflating (e.g. Mr Tumble's selling price last season, which seemed to increase when they got enquiries). If they know Brighton are "desperately" after a striker, for example, and Brighton enquire about a player that might fit the bill, do you think they'll try and get as much as they can for said player? I suspect so...that's normal business practice.

The suggestion that the club's recruitment team are not 'doing any work', because they haven't got in a £40m striker, early in the window, is so ridiculous.

There are two Heads of Recruitment, at different PL clubs, trying to sign a striker.

One has been told "Go and get us a striker who will guarantee 20 PL goals, and who has experience in the Champions League. Spend absolutely whatever you like, and offer £200k/week in wages"

The other has been told "Go and find us a striker for £25m absolute tops, who will improve our starting eleven, who will agree to play for a club not in European competition, who wants no more than £50k per week, and who is young enough to guarantee good resale value, three years down the line".

Which Head of Recruitment do people think has to work harder to get their target? :shrug:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought Gyokeres was going out on loan to Swansea.
I see that Potter is now saying that he wants to take another look.

Sounds like a deal or two has fallen through for us.

I'm not sure you can conclude a deal has fallen through for us on the basis of an enquiry to loan a player to another club isn't going to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here