Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Throw another name in to the mix.

Myron Boadu

Pros:
19 years old
Goal every 2 game record throughout his career. (21 in 40)
Assist every 4 games record throughout his career (10 in 40)
Goal on his international debut (1 in 1)
4 goals in 7 Europa League games.
Available for less than £20,000,000
6'0 and fast.

Cons:
Dutch League. We know how that can go
2 red cards in 40 games

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I’m not saying he isn’t good... that’s not what I said is it.

I’m talking about where his strengths are and how he is successful.

He wants the ball forward quickly and suits a direct side who get the ball forward quickly and in from wide..... he does pretty much all of his work within the width of the penalty areas. He think he will be very successful with Newcastle because they set up in a way that suits him. I just don’t believe he is the type of player we are after, but that’s just my opinion from what I see and what I’ve been told about Wilson from people who watch him.

Fair enough. IMHO he would have worked well with Maupay precisely because they are so different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I don't know what universe you're living in where £20M for a striker who's scored double figures ONCE is cheap

In the real world. The one Barber and you cannot accept.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Throw another name in to the mix.

Myron Boadu

Pros:
19 years old
Goal every 2 game record throughout his career. (21 in 40)
Assist every 4 games record throughout his career (10 in 40)
Goal on his international debut (1 in 1)
4 goals in 7 Europa League games.
Available for less than £20,000,000
6'0 and fast.

Cons:
Dutch League. We know how that can go
2 red cards in 40 games

I guess this is the sort of guy we will eventually sign. We prefer a punt to proven PL success. We definitely need to get a wiggle on.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
In the real world. The one Barber and you cannot accept.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be spending that kind of money, we should, just not on him. Its awful for value for us when you consider that our business model needs to be reselling players. No resale value, not a very impressive record. Whether or not you think we need a striker (which most people do btw), £20M for Wilson does not represent a 'cheap' deal

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Did you watch Murray for Watford on friday evening?

No, but can’t see how that is relevant to us as he is no longer our player, has just joined a different team and is getting used to their system.

We potentially remain one dimensional and short on numbers until this is resolved

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm not saying we shouldn't be spending that kind of money, we should, just not on him. Its awful for value for us when you consider that our business model needs to be reselling players. No resale value, not a very impressive record. Whether or not you think we need a striker (which most people do btw), £20M for Wilson does not represent a 'cheap' deal
We don’t sell anyone that’s worth selling do we? Just cleared the dead wood so far.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
No, but can’t see how that is relevant to us as he is no longer our player, has just joined a different team and is getting used to their system.

We potentially remain one dimensional and short on numbers until this is resolved

I was just saying that, if he played a bit part last year it would almost inevitably be a zero contribution this.
So how does moving him on to allow someone else to move up the squad to our bench (and to lighten the wage bill for one of our top earners) weaken us If he wouldn’t be contributing anyway?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We're gonna play long? Not as prolific as I'd like in a striker, but we could and have done worse!:p

You may say that tongue in cheek, but its actually the most sensible tactic when playing against better teams who play the high press. Towards a taller hold up guy with runners off them, cutting out the high press.

Leeds used long balls to good effect yesterday, as did our scumbag rivals Palace last season. Trying to play out from the back against quality high press teams is a recipe for disaster as Liverpool at home showed.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
We don’t sell anyone that’s worth selling do we? Just cleared the dead wood so far.

well no we haven't yet, but that's going to be the model we move forward to, I'd imagine. Right as of now there aren't too many players who are at maximum sellability for us, their value in both footballing and financial terms can still increase with us, reckon next season we could see the likes of bissouma and white subject to some big offers and then we will need to think about if the time is right to sell. That's how most clubs outside the top six work.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was just saying that, if he played a bit part last year it would almost inevitably be a zero contribution this.
So how does moving him on to allow someone else to move up the squad to our bench (and to lighten the wage bill for one of our top earners) weaken us If he wouldn’t be contributing anyway?

It is impossible to predict as we don’t know the future. If Connolly does his hamstring, Maupay get a knock, as minimal contribution as he made last year, (though he certainly came on in other games), he would have been in, without Murray we have nothing.

Not even a plan B.

Once a replacement comes that position changes, but until it does we have limited options and no cover.

I remain positive that we would not have allowed our only offensive aerial threat to leave without someone else coming in.

Last edited:

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
It is impossible to predict as we don’t know the future. If Connolly does his hamstring, Maupay get a knock, as minimal contribution as he made last year, (though he certainly came on in other games), he would have been in, without Murray we have nothing.

Not even a plan B.

Once a replacement comes that position changes, but until it does we have limited options and no cover.

I remain positive that we would not have allowed our only offensive aerial threat to leave without someone else coming in.

Ok, fair point mate we’ll just have to disagree. I’ve obviously got more faith in our management and recruitment teams than you -
If they feel letting Murray go was the right thing then I trust them.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
White had some big offers ..a few weeks ago.

That's completely besides the point of my post, but anyway, in the grand scheme of things they weren't that big. £25M for a young, promising English CB is pocket change. Particularly when you consider his value after a good season in the PL, what Leeds offered wasn't that much at all.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Who is this mysterious centre forward we are promoting in place of Muzza, and who is Prem ready? Enlighten me please. Thank you [emoji120]

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Who is this mysterious centre forward we are promoting in place of Muzza, and who is Prem ready? Enlighten me please. Thank you [emoji120]

Again, you seem to have totally mis-read? I didn’t mention a centre forward? I just said someone else might make the bench - Someone like Jahanbakhsh maybe?

It does make me chuckle that you mis-read and mis-quote consistently and everything has to be explained to you

And again - it’s not Oct 5th yet so who knows what centre forward we may or may not have at our disposal?

But whatever happens I’ll continue to support the club I love unconditionally rather than bicker and moan about them and whatever team we put out I’ll support them and appreciate just how far we’ve come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here